Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Now, I don't know if you have been to China or know much about China, but Shanghai is basically a modern city state. It is not the "developing" world and it has many universities and technical schools. Shanghai schools have the capability to teach people to bake a pie or to turn out industrial type products like we are served onboard Air Canada. If someone was truly interested in learning baking skills, I don't think they would fly half way around the world to study at an Ontario college that typically trains people to work at mega bakeries or in hotel & institutional kitchens. Shanghai has some world class hotels and restaurants and the kitchen staff are trained locally. 25 is a bit old to embark upon a career as an institutional baker, particularly at a less than renowned technical training college, in dreary Scarborough.
1. Since I actually live in Shanghai, I can tell you that roughly 1 in 50 residences have ovens; there is pretty much no tradition of baking here
-I'm curious to hear specific recs for baking schools anywhere in China

2. My dad started baking, as a serious hobby, when he was 70, and regularly attends classes at King Arthur in Vermont...so it's never too late to learn

3. If anything, going to baking school instead of an Ivy suggests that Qian is not extremely rich

4. A close friend of mine does college and grad school admissions consulting, and I help him with some students
-most of them are not wealthy, but their parents have managed to set aside ~$300,000 towards education abroad
-Beida and Tsinghua are far more selective than any universities in West, but the education they provide is not on the same level
Dave510 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
In case you missed it, the woman purchased an airline ticket which involved credit card fraud. She need not have effected the direct criminal act of the fraud to be implicated. In this case, she has benefited from a criminal act. In Canada, it is illegal to benefit, or to profit from the proceeds of crime. At the center of the Air Canada position is that an illegal act occurred. In Canada, credit card fraud is a "criminal" act.

Your position asks that we suspend common sense, and to take a giant leap of faith, or rather a skewed great leap forward (apologies to Billy Bragg).

1. The airfares that you refer to are specific to economy. Sometimes they will extend to Premium Economy. In all the time I have looked at Hopper, Hipmunk, Skyscanner and other platforms which claim that they offer the lowest fares, I haven't seen a price differential on BUSINESS Class fares anywhere close to what this woman obtained. I don't like paying $5,500+ on my TPACs, so I do verify various options before I book. Surprise, surprise, good old Google ITA software is still fairly consistent along with Kayak, when it comes to business class airfares.

3. Centennial College students do not have access to "student discounted" business class airfares. There is neither the market nor the need to offer it. The typical Centennial College student does not have the means to fly TPAC business class, let alone fly. These are kids and young adults being trained for the service and trades business sectors and are of modest financial means.

4. The burden is not on Air Canada to establish the airfare. Again, the core issue is that the purchase was made through credit card theft. This type of theft involves identity theft. As per item 1. it is illegal in Canada to benefit from a criminal act. The criminal act was the credit card fraud. Once the airfare was purchased through fraudulent means, an obligation was assumed by the reduced airfare ticket holder (beneficiary of the credit card fraud) to disgorge the illegally gained benefit.

Air Canada can establish its airfares on the date of the transaction. It has its data logs to show the dynamic pricing of the airfare on that day. That is all that is required.

The woman is claiming hat Air Canada is bullying her. IMO, she's grasping at straws. Caught, with a loss of face, she's most likely worried about a lot more than the airfare. Hers is a common defence practice. Often when people are caught in a wrongful act, they attempt to change the subject with a side issue or counter claim. We see this on a weekly basis with a certain politician to the south. I offer that Air Canada is being nice about this. If this was China, I believe that the woman would be sitting in jail, waiting.
Actually the only part of China I have ever been to has been Shanghai and Hong Kong. Multiple times over the past number of years.

The facts are she purchased a AC ticket through someone selling AC tickets on one of the most dominant social media and payment platforms in China from someone offering discounted Business Class. A payment platform used by 10 time the number of people who use the Canadian banking system.

Does it make any difference she has traveled half way around the world to learn to be a baker? Probably not. Do people staff travel form Canada and the US to France to learn to cook?
Nazdoom likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 9, 2019 at 8:39 pm Reason: edit quote for off topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.