Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rickg523
Are you saying she flew those flights in succession?
Again, I am NOT aware of the actual flight details; this was simply an educated guess.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Again, I am NOT aware of the actual flight details; this was simply an educated guess.
But it took her a year and a half to fly those three flights!@:-)
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Just because an OTA advertises something does not mean it is actually available.

Note sure I have ever seen $2200 CAD for round trip PVG-YVR on Air Canada but if someone has I stand corrected
Who mentioned anything about CAD (US$ = U.S. dollar)?! I've flown LAX to PVG in J at least ten times over the last few years and that fare range is what I paid. I've purchased directly from MU, CZ, and MF, as well as via Priceline, Orbitz, and Kayak. Before replying to this thread I checked many random dates (outside of important holidays) for PVG to/from YVR and all of the airlines I mentioned in my first post came up US$1800-2200 RT.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:32 pm

But it took her a year and a half to fly those three flights!@:-)
Sure. But, if we assume YYZ/YUL-YVR and YVR-PVG occurred within the course of 6 months or a year, these could be combined.

And, PVG-YYZ is not especially expensive.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure. But, if we assume YYZ/YUL-YVR and YVR-PVG occurred within the course of 6 months or a year, these could be combined.

Oh I get you. But AC is saying the flights were values at 18k.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:48 pm

Oh I get you. But AC is saying the flights were values at 18k.
Yes, I get that, and I don't question their math because full J can be $9k each way. But, my point is that $2.5k each way certainly wouldn't set off any alarm bells as a remarkably good deal.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:17 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiegoTrvllr
Who mentioned anything about CAD (US$ = U.S. dollar)?! I've flown LAX to PVG in J at least ten times over the last few years and that fare range is what I paid. I've purchased directly from MU, CZ, and MF, as well as via Priceline, Orbitz, and Kayak. Before replying to this thread I checked many random dates (outside of important holidays) for PVG to/from YVR and all of the airlines I mentioned in my first post came up US$1800-2200 RT.
You must be looking at dates far out. I only see return airfares on AC for 5K plus. I'm thinking these fares were most likely bought on short or shorter notice for CC fraud to work. Since pax only flow AC, comparing prices from different airlines is like comparing apples to oranges.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
You must be looking at dates far out. I only see return airfares on AC for 5K plus. I'm thinking these fares were most likely bought on short or shorter notice for CC fraud to work. Since pax only flow AC, comparing prices from different airlines is like comparing apples to oranges.
I disagree:

1. Many people who aren't airline geeks like us regard business class as business class

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 8, 2019 at 5:11 am Reason: Off topic
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
TL;DR

My question was, first of all is that a 'REAL' ticket she use to get her boarding pass in the past. What I mean 'REAL' include employee ticket, reward ticket etc... Otherwise, AC may have a serious trouble in IT department (joke?) if someone can fake a plane ticket (with PNR and e-Ticket #), able to gone past the check-in process and get a BP and not been detected in real time. That's sounds like a serious [security] issue. Or is it possible for an insider like 'Captain Cooll' have access to internal AC system to create a ticket, but somehow pocket the money (sounds rather risky).

And of course, we don't know the timing from when the ticket was purchased and the flight taken place. If it is rather short period, the actual credit card victim may not notice the charges until next billing cycle to call in.

IMHO, the story still didn't really line up.

I wonder if she collect aeroplan as well... what happen to her miles

Per upthread the tickets would have been purchased with (stolen) credit cards at "list' price.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Per upthread the tickets would have been purchased with (stolen) credit cards at "list' price.
My point was in reference to the idea that she should have known this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:25 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium

She goes to school in Toronto, do you think it's more likely that she took a year off to fly YYZ-YVR-PVG-YYZ, or she took two trips, one to YVR and one to PVG. I'm not sure why you keep arguing that PVG-YYZ is not expensive, and it doesn't really matter. Do you think Mrs. Qian doesn't know to search airfare on aircanada.com, expedia, or ctrip and blindly pay whatever CaptainCooll offers or is it more likely that she searched prices first and decide to go with CaptainCooll's price is his price is so much cheaper than other places.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
Still seeing RT J at around the US$2000 range for dates in June-Aug and $1800s Sept-Nov (although the direct nonstop on CA is $2700 in the summer and back to $2200 in the fall). Perhaps you can get someone to help you with using a search engine like ITA Matrix. And, by the way, JL, CZ, HU, and MU have excellent hard products, and I'm speaking from experience.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:13 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTrvllr
Still seeing RT J at around the US$2000 range for dates in June-Aug and $1800s Sept-Nov (although the direct nonstop on CA is $2700 in the summer and back to $2200 in the fall). Perhaps you can get someone to help you with using a search engine like ITA Matrix. And, by the way, JL, CZ, HU, and MU have excellent hard products, and I'm speaking from experience.
$2000 USD converts to $2650 CAD, thus $9400 CAD for 5 tickets is an extremely low price even if comparing to already exceptionally low prices offered by Chinese airlines from West Coast. Lowest AC J price from East Coast round trip cost $3000 USD, or $4000 CAD, prices below that is rare.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by m.y
She goes to school in Toronto, do you think it's more likely that she took a year off to fly YYZ-YVR-PVG-YYZ, or she took two trips, one to YVR and one to PVG. I'm not sure why you keep arguing that PVG-YYZ is not expensive, and it doesn't really matter. Do you think Mrs. Qian doesn't know to search airfare on aircanada.com, expedia, or ctrip and blindly pay whatever CaptainCooll offers or is it more likely that she searched prices first and decide to go with CaptainCooll's price is his price is so much cheaper than other places.
If she were Harvard caliber, she would not be going to cooking school in Toronto.

​​​​​​I'm going to guess that the online travel booking class is not a required course.

Look, maybe she is a scumbag, but we simply don't have grounds to assume such based on the current fact set. Furthermore, scumbag or not, AC is probably going to regret stoking this fire.
Twickenham and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Depends upon the time of the year. Random date of 10-17 july (midweek so cheaper) is $5,042 on AC. I don't know about other people, but that is an expensive adventure for me. I have to earn excess of $10,000 pretax . For a great many Canadians, that's the difference between having a roof over their head(s) with some beans on the grill, or sleeping on a cardboard box over a TTC air vent.

I disagree:
1. Many people who aren't airline geeks like us regard business class as business class
2. IMO, MU's long haul product is much better than AC's
I am not an airline geek, and I certainly know the difference between AC's AB320 J seat vs its B787 seat. I also know that TAP doesn't offer lie flats on my routes and that many J flights in EU are in Y with a seat blocked. I even know that some airlines love their seat fees in J (hello miserable Swissair).

Your glowing view of MU is yours alone. You would be hard pressed to find many people who have flown on both, who share that sentiment , particularly those who are non smokers and do not appreciate the cigarette smoke that often floats back, or who like a decent alcoholic beverage. The catering on my MU flights was awful.

However, this isn't about how you value the flights, because AC has already established the value of the fares when it published them. Rather, the only issue that matters is whether or not the woman benefited from a criminal act. The criminal act was credit card fraud.

I believe that there is also another issue at play. In the event that the woman is pursued for a criminal act, she could very well lose her status in Canada. Although Canada rarely deports non Canadian criminals and has minimal immigration law enforcement, there are some cases where the government of Canada has acted to non renew a visa or to block a citizenship application due to a person's "alleged" criminal activity.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Jun 8, 2019 at 12:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.