Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Is the contract between AC and her? Not clear that is the case.

She paid Capt Cool money for a ticket at a negotiated price. There is a contract between the two of them.

We also don't know how this Capt Cool purchased the ticket, did he do it through a travel agency or directly on the AC website? Did the payment page ask for the name and address of the credit card owner separately from the passenger name?

Capt Cool purchased the ticket from AC at a negotiated price. There is a contract between the two of them.

She is not pretending to be an agent for Air Canada, this Captain Cool person is. If I was AC I would be more concerned about that. Given AC flies into China, they can probably follow up in that country with their local legal council or staff on the group. Belarus may be a bit more difficult.
All of that is irrelevant. A ticket is a contract between the ticket holder and the airline. TAs act as agents of the airlines. They issue tickets as the airline representative. She may have dealt/contracted Apt Cool to work on this for her, but ultimately the ticket is a deal between the airline and the passenger. As far as the relationship is with Capt Cool, the airline is not involved. Even if he dealt with booking the ticket, he merely acted on behalf of the passenger. He did not purchase the ticket. The passenger does.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunzi
What AC believes and what is legal are different things. The arbitrator will decide what is allowed or not.
Wrong. The CTA does not deal with contractual issues, merely with rules as per the tariffs. And she has no leg to stand on. Paying for a ticket with a stolen credit card cannot be justified, even if out of stupidity or wishful thinking.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
All of that is irrelevant. A ticket is a contract between the ticket holder and the airline. TAs act as agents of the airlines. They issue tickets as the airline representative. She may have dealt/contracted Apt Cool to work on this for her, but ultimately the ticket is a deal between the airline and the passenger. As far as the relationship is with Capt Cool, the airline is not involved. Even if he dealt with booking the ticket, he merely acted on behalf of the passenger. He did not purchase the ticket. The passenger does.
The airline implicitly represented to her that the reservation was paid and in order when she was allowed to fly.

If someone purchases a ticket from a TA, or is given a ticket by a friend, family member, etc., is it really reasonable to expect the traveler to do extensive due diligence on whether or not a legitimate relationship exists between such, and AC? Especially if, when verified with AC, the ticket itself is a confirmed reservation.

If I called up AC and asked them, "is ABC Travel Inc. paying its bills", would I get a response from AC other than "that's none of your business"?

Wrong. The CTA does not deal with contractual issues, merely with rules as per the tariffs. And she has no leg to stand on. Paying for a ticket with a stolen credit card cannot be justified, even if out of stupidity or wishful thinking.

The travel rendered in the past and allegedly not paid for is a contractual issue. Future travel is a tariff issue. I believe she has a solid case because she is being denied future paid travel, which is well within the statutory authority of the CTA to rule upon.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
Eventually she was stopped. Additionally, Ann is likely not part of her official names, and her transliterated official name likely would hit quite a few matches, given the way Chinese names work. Plus, if the fraudster is half as smart as he should be there should be no other identifiers. Passport number might be the only one, assuming she did not change in the meantime. Plus these are not needed or recorded for domestic trips. Best possibility would be to catch her on the second overseas trip; which may be what happened, or maybe the third?
In fact, in this case since her surname is not Wang, Li or Zhang for example it would be a lot easier to identify her. Qian is only the 96th common surname in China accounting for roughly 2.2 million people out of 1.3 billion. Given that proportion, her chinese name used on the ticket could have a high likelihood of being unique or at least only a couple that match it. Thus, it would be fairly easy to identify her from there. Therefore, I stick to my point that AC anti-fraud algorithm can be beefed up.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by pitz
The airline implicitly represented to her that the reservation was paid and in order when she was allowed to fly.
Fraud doesn't matter if you get away with it?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
Your wrong. If CTA has no legal requirements to look at this issue then what is the arbitrator looking at. Obviously to see if AC is allowed to ban her. If AC is not allowed to ban her, then she can continue to fly on AC regardless if she pays back or not the 18k AC is asking. Afterwards, if AC wants to continue to pursue the 18k they would go through a court which will decide if they have legal grounds.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If someone purchases a ticket from a TA, or is given a ticket by a friend, family member, etc., is it really reasonable to expect the traveler to do extensive due diligence on whether or not a legitimate relationship exists between such, and AC? Especially if, when verified with AC, the ticket itself is a confirmed reservation.

If I called up AC and asked them, "is ABC Travel Inc. paying its bills", would I get a response from AC other than "that's none of your business"?
None of which contradicts what I wrote.
The travel rendered in the past and allegedly not paid for is a contractual issue. Future travel is a tariff issue. I believe she has a solid case because she is being denied future paid travel, which is well within the statutory authority of the CTA to rule upon.
If indeed that is the only thing that's she is arguing about, and if there is nothing in the tariffs about passengers not paying past bills or obtaining tickets fraudulently, perhaps. Even then, would the CTA condone not paying one's bills? They might decide that as soon as the bills are paid she will be allowed to fly.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:40 pm

None of which contradicts what I wrote.If indeed that is the only thing that's she is arguing about, and if there is nothing in the tariffs about passengers not paying past bills or obtaining tickets fraudulently, perhaps. Even then, would the CTA condone not paying one's bills? They might decide that as soon as the bills are paid she will be allowed to fly.
AC accepts all sorts of passengers, including, but not limited to, murderers, rapists, and fraud artists. Whose tickets are legitimately paid (by the RCMP, by the CSC,IRB, etc.). Who may have even committed crime against AC in the past.

Nobody denies that AC was deprived of its property and suffered a loss. The real question is whether its appropriate to deny future service to an individual whose hands are, by most available evidence, clean. Or whether they should suck it up and just accept that such is the cost of assuming the liability of dealing with an imperfect payment system that allows for transactions to be reversed. I doubt she, personally, will ever make the mistake again. AC has probably destroyed at least $18k of goodwill amongst a certain ethnic community just by letting this be plastered all over the media.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:57 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
AC has probably destroyed at least $18k of goodwill amongst a certain ethnic community just by letting this be plastered all over the media.
​​​​Most of the comments I see on wechat are supportive of ACs actions and criticizes Qians try to portrait herself as poor while flying business class.
yscleo and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Nobody denies that AC was deprived of its property
I do. Theft of service isn't theft of property.
Nazdoom and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:25 pm

I don’t believe there were allegations that she was disruptive to crew or passengers...that was either her lawyer or the passenger rights guy using that as an example of a legit reason for an airline to ban a passenger from future service.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC accepts all sorts of passengers, including, but not limited to, murderers, rapists, and fraud artists. Whose tickets are legitimately paid (by the RCMP, by the CSC,IRB, etc.). Who may have even committed crime against AC in the past.

Nobody denies that AC was deprived of its property and suffered a loss. The real question is whether its appropriate to deny future service to an individual whose hands are, by most available evidence, clean. Or whether they should suck it up and just accept that such is the cost of assuming the liability of dealing with an imperfect payment system that allows for transactions to be reversed. I doubt she, personally, will ever make the mistake again. AC has probably destroyed at least $18k of goodwill amongst a certain ethnic community just by letting this be plastered all over the media.
I don't think buying a ticket with a fraudulent CC number is "by most available evidence, clean." Innocent, stupid, maybe. But from AC's perspective she fraudulently bought a ticket. Captain Cool does not exist, period.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
​​​​Most of the comments I see on wechat are supportive of ACs actions and criticizes Qians try to portrait herself as poor while flying business class.
Agreed.

I don't think she personally perpetrated this credit card fraud, but I think it's highly plausible she knew from day one the tickets were not legitimately obtained and did not care because she was sitting in J without paying J prices and getting away with it.

We know she's an international student, mostly likely from Shanghai, lived in Canada for two years, has a late model iPhone and spent $5800 in travel. Most people cannot afford that lifestyle. yet she is claiming she was lured by cheap tickets, as if she was trying to find the cheapest way to get from A to B. China is very technologically advanced, yes they have a walled off internet, but she's lived here for at least two years so she knows where to look for legitimate tickets and how much they normally cost.

If she wanted the cheapest way to get from A to B, she overpaid. Flights to Shanghai can be purchased for $600ish on a regular basis, even for last minute bookings. If you combine that with the most expensive last minute booking from Toronto to Vancouver, she would have paid well less than $5800. Based on this, I don't buy that fact she was lured into this scam because she wanted the cheapest way to visit her family.
yscleo, MSPeconomist and windscar like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by B407
Agreed.

I don't think she personally perpetrated this credit card fraud, but I think it's highly plausible she knew from day one the tickets were not legitimately obtained and did not care because she was sitting in J without paying J prices and getting away with it.

We know she's an international student, mostly likely from Shanghai, lived in Canada for two years, has a late model iPhone and spent $5800 in travel. Most people cannot afford that lifestyle. yet she is claiming she was lured by cheap tickets, as if she was trying to find the cheapest way to get from A to B. China is very technologically advanced, yes they have a walled off internet, but she's lived here for at least two years so she knows where to look for legitimate tickets and how much they normally cost.

If she wanted the cheapest way to get from A to B, she overpaid. Flights to Shanghai can be purchased for $600ish on a regular basis, even for last minute bookings. If you combine that with the most expensive last minute booking from Toronto to Vancouver, she would have paid well less than $5800. Based on this, I don't buy that fact she was lured into this scam because she wanted the cheapest way to visit her family.
Since when is $5800 cheap for biz class?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:48 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by moondog
Since when is $5800 cheap for biz class?
$5800 was for four flights, at least one of which was to Vancouver and at least one to China. Lowest J price that I've seen on AC to Asia was $3000 CAD to TPE earlier this year. Typical lowest J to China cost about $4000 CAD if you book well in advance. Usually these scammers target those who book last minute as chances of credit card company finding out and ticket is canceled is lower.
yscleo likes this.

Last edited by m.y; Jun 5, 2019 at 11:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.