Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Etihad Airways new Aeroplan partner as of May 1, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad Airways new Aeroplan partner as of May 1, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So while I don't actually believe this conclusion, it's much more likely that EY F is a glitch than that LX F was a glitch.
Not quoting the rest of this just for space, as you make good points.

The chain that I was replying to was that AC might retroactively change the routing rules. If EY F space (or any space) wasn't supposed to be released at all, sure, it's exactly like the LX thing.

What I found offensive was the idea that AC would change/cancel these things solely because SYD-AUH-NYC wasn't a permitted routing. It's clearly well within MPM, it's logical, no backtracking, etc.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by saaveraward
What do you mean by "My EY F bookings (I think I'm at 5 booked, 4 refunded)"

Did someone cancel your tickets?
No, I booked two, cancelled two, booked two, cancelled two, booked one.

I was excited about EY F, but was trying to lock down dates.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Not quoting the rest of this just for space, as you make good points.

The chain that I was replying to was that AC might retroactively change the routing rules. If EY F space (or any space) wasn't supposed to be released at all, sure, it's exactly like the LX thing.

What I found offensive was the idea that AC would change/cancel these things solely because SYD-AUH-NYC wasn't a permitted routing. It's clearly well within MPM, it's logical, no backtracking, etc.
I have no reason to believe they would cancel these bookings, but I have reason to believe that supervisors don't know how routing rules work, and will do nasty things well after you've booked. Or after you've cancelled.

So if they're saying the routing is no longer valid, I'd just be cautious.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
No, I booked two, cancelled two, booked two, cancelled two, booked one.

I was excited about EY F, but was trying to lock down dates.
The advantage of having a bazillion Aeroplan miles kicking around
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The advantage of having a bazillion Aeroplan miles kicking around
Given that these were 2pax one-way bookings, I only needed 230k miles for the entire sequence
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:27 am

Given that these were 2pax one-way bookings, I only needed 230k miles for the entire sequence
That's about 11.5x as many miles as I have in my Aeroplan account
Nitehawk and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:25 am

I don't get how some people got their itineraries stitched together. I've talked to 4 agents and none could/would do it
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Jetrigger
I don't get how some people got their itineraries stitched together. I've talked to 4 agents and none could/would do it
Two words, creativity & patience
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Platinum
use Etihad's app. The website doesn't allow for some reason
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
EY F space also generally isn't made available..
EY F space has always been easily available via other points, especially far out (except for JFK shenenigans documented in the AA forum, and the fact you had to call a foreign call center) Apartments are a bit harder to get, but with flexibility, its never been an issue.

I've booked the apartments to/from LHR, BOM and MEL using AA miles. And also had ICN using OZ miles, but that got cancelled.
AUH-BOM was a bargain pre-devaluation at 20,000 Etihad points (or one Amex sign up) for the apartments. In fact 50,000 AA miles used to get you two apartments flights for BOM-AUH-LHR with a free add on within Europe on BA. When QR flew to AUH, you could mix it and get F lounge access in DOH and AUH.

What Aeroplan is seeing is standard EY F availability that has been around for years and accessible via other points.

Only time will tell what impact Aeroplan exposure in addition to AA/OZ will have on availability. My guess is, not good, considering its the best F seat in the world.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Booked YYZ-CDG AC J, CDG-AUH EY F A380, - AUH-SIN EY F 777, thanks for the tip on seat selection via app. May make the return in EY J.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
Booked YYZ-CDG AC J, CDG-AUH EY F A380, - AUH-SIN EY F 777, thanks for the tip on seat selection via app. May make the return in EY J.
Did you call in to book this?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Yes called in to book, originally tried to change an existing booking which they could not do, however new booking worked (agent had to speak to supervisor).
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
Yes called in to book, originally tried to change an existing booking which they could not do, however new booking worked (agent had to speak to supervisor).
Did you feed the segments? J/w cuz I am very confused if this is not possible or it is still. Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
Did you feed the segments? J/w cuz I am very confused if this is not possible or it is still. Thanks
Should be possible. Just looked up random dates CDG-SIN/YYZ-SIN and those show up with CDG-AUH in F possible. Simple one-way search. Now all you need is a good YYZ-CDG flight. Still not sure how to best search etihad availability short of random dates though... but CDG-AUH 380 F doesn't seem to be just dead yet

(anyone who books these specific dates - you're welcome! I didn't try booking these, so not sure if phantom or real, but they do at least show up)

See e.g.:

even works from YYZ via LHR in this specific case:

Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:37 pm

There's availability out of JFK. Not sure why you'd want to go from YYZ to CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.