Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master Thread American Express Aeroplan cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread American Express Aeroplan cards

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 5:59 am

I believe it was $200 credit on Platinum.
Vaclav likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 8:05 am

I think it might have gone as high as $250 last summer on the Platinum.
Vaclav and mileageking like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:11 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kalderlake
I think it might have gone as high as $250 last summer on the Platinum.
Last summer was $250, yes.

It should probably be noted for those evaluating these cards for the longer term or in the future that these types of offers are not common; they're Amex's way of trying to get people to keep the cards, and keep spending on them, during COVID. Typical offers before COVID were merchant promos, e.g. spend $1,000 at X merchant and get $40 back.

You can still get some nice value out of those from time to time, but nothing like these straight up $1 for $1 grocery credits.
Vaclav likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Free Groceries--who would have thunk!

Well now my SO is now somewhat approving of the "new" Reserve card.

Price differential to my old AMEX Aeroplan Gold is coming down with the bonus points, eupgrade rollover and the Sobey's/Saveon offer. Even though we aren't flying, there is light at the end of this long dark tunnel.

I likely won't get to use the eupgrades but you never know. The bonus points will likely go for family travel. All in all, not a bad debut year for this card. Will have to evaluate next year if I keep it but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that much dough . . .
Old May 11, 2021, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by kalderlake
I think it might have as high as $250 last summer on the Platinum.
Yeah last year was $250. This year on Platinum announced earlier it's $200.
Vaclav likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mileageking
If you fly over 100k (for some it's significantly over) then rollover of up-to 200k SQM should also benefit hitting multiple thresholds including 1 year banked SE & 150-300k bonus points
How would this actually work?

Let's say one year I fly 250K SQM and get a year of banked status..
then do 150K SQM roll over? And if I fly 100K SQM the next year I again get 250K SQM total and again get a year of banked status?
And then 150K SQM again roll over?
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson
How would this actually work?

Let's say one year I fly 250K SQM and get a year of banked status..
then do 150K SQM roll over? And if I fly 100K SQM the next year I again get 250K SQM total and again get a year of banked status?
And then 150K SQM again roll over?
Or same question for threshold e-ups! Lets say I fly 250 SQS/SQM this year and thus get the e-ups at 60m 80, 100, 120, 140, etc

Then next year 150K rollover. Do I instantly get the e-ups for 60,80,100,120,140?

Also how will it work for this year! My SQS/SQM are all rolling over!

What if I have 250 SQS/SQM this year? Do they roll over twice? Or the credit card benefit just isn't in force this year?
Old May 12, 2021, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson
Or same question for threshold e-ups! Lets say I fly 250 SQS/SQM this year and thus get the e-ups at 60m 80, 100, 120, 140, etc

Then next year 150K rollover. Do I instantly get the e-ups for 60,80,100,120,140?

Also how will it work for this year! My SQS/SQM are all rolling over!

What if I have 250 SQS/SQM this year? Do they roll over twice? Or the credit card benefit just isn't in force this year?
Or even another question!!

If you routinely fly more than 150 SQS/SQM wouldn't you progressively accumulate year to year? Is there any cap on the rollover?

If you get 150 SQS every year then first year you roll over 50, earn another 150, roll over 100, earn another 150, roll over 150, etc etc
Old May 27, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
AMEX slow to post this month

Not sure if this is just a blip, but my AMEX card cutoff is the 21st and its now 6 days and
the points still havent posted to AP. Normally its the next day. Im thinking it may have something
to do with the long weekend, but this is unusual. Hoping its not a problem which requires
a phone call.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
In order to try to make information on the Amex cards easier to find, this new master thread has been stitched together from a few recent Amex-related threads as well as Amex questions/comments that were initially posted in the 2020 re-launch thread.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old May 29, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
I only got the card for the rollover eups but also for the higher status on the upgrade list.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Aker
I only got the card for the rollover eups but also for the higher status on the upgrade list.
Is it only the AMEX Reserve that gets the higher status on the upgrade list? What about the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege? I have that and I rather not sign up for the AMEX Reserve if I don't have to.
Old May 30, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is it only the AMEX Reserve that gets the higher status on the upgrade list? What about the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege? I have that and I rather not sign up for the AMEX Reserve if I don't have to.
Not sure about this.
Does anyone have any evidence with respect to upgrade list and if it matters which AP card you hold?
Ie. is a TD aeroplan card the same priority as an Amex AP reserve?
Old May 30, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Aker
Not sure about this.
Does anyone have any evidence with respect to upgrade list and if it matters which AP card you hold?
Ie. is a TD aeroplan card the same priority as an Amex AP reserve?
There are three tiers of Aeroplan credit cards. Within each tier, the benefits are substantially similar across the issuers. The "premium" cards (TD/CIBC VIP, Amex Reserve) all get rollovers and enhanced upgrade priority (yes, AC confirmed the latter).

Here's an article that has a pretty detailed breakdown.
lsquare, kalderlake and Aker like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
There are three tiers of Aeroplan credit cards. Within each tier, the benefits are substantially similar across the issuers. The "premium" cards (TD/CIBC VIP, Amex Reserve) all get rollovers and enhanced upgrade priority (yes, AC confirmed the latter).

Here's an article that has a pretty detailed breakdown.
Saves me from paying another AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.