Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master Thread American Express Aeroplan cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread American Express Aeroplan cards

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 10:29 am
YXU

Programs: AC 50K, Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by frogoutofwater
Correct. I should have clarified in my original post that I'm about $1K short of the next $5K spend threshold for earning SQM. (I've corrected my original post.) It's about the timing. If this spend counts toward the $5K threshold, then I should get those SQMs and reach 50K status before my next trip.
If you pay the CRA using Plastiq then the spend will count towards the $5k needed for 1000SQM
Old May 2, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by frogoutofwater
Correct. I should have clarified in my original post that I'm about $1K short of the next $5K spend threshold for earning SQM. (I've corrected my original post.) It's about the timing. If this spend counts toward the $5K threshold, then I should get those SQMs and reach 50K status before my next trip.
CRA payments carry a 2.5% fee, so a $25 cost for $1000. You could also pre-pay something that you're going to use soon anyway (utilities, insurance, groceries, etc). Or buy a $1000 refundable ticket for a far out date, then cancel it later once you have another $1k in regular spending.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Anyone get an email from Amex offering a 15% off code for North American and Sun AC flights booked in the next 14 days for travel until December 15? I got one today for my Core Card.
Old May 10, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by fbrdky
Anyone get an email from Amex offering a 15% off code for North American and Sun AC flights booked in the next 14 days for travel until December 15? I got one today for my Core Card.
Yes, received 15% off emails for my Amex Reserve and my Cobalt cards.
Old May 10, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by beastmaster
Yes, received 15% off emails for my Amex Reserve and my Cobalt cards.
Yes and I also got 10x on AC purchases up to $750. I have the Amex Reserve. Not too shabby but after the status rollover promo is making me reconsider spending $ with AC
Old May 16, 2022, 11:43 am

Few more details on this card:

This card looks to provide the same earn rates and benefits as the Aeroplan Reserve Card however it also provides automatic Air Canada 50K elite status for the Primary and Supplementary cardholders during the year you get the card and the following year after that. After that cardmembers must spend $50,000 annually to receive the 50K status. The card has an annual spend requirement of $150,000 and appears to utilize the Centurion Card's customer service/concierge service.

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...a-en-apr22.pdf
asovse1 and HermantheHermit like this.

Last edited by superdawg; May 16, 2022 at 3:59 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Edit: I realize I'm late - had this tab open for a while before I had a few minutes to read the document and actually write a post

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...a-en-apr22.pdf

$150k annual spend requirement on the card.
If you do not meet the Annual Spend Requirement, we may cancel your account and offer you the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card. Supplementary card net purchases will count towards your net purchases charged to the account.
You earn:
• 3 Aeroplan points for every $1 of eligible Air Canada purchases
• 2 Aeroplan points for every $1 of eligible dining and food delivery
purchases in Canada
• 1.25 Aeroplan points for every $1 of other card purchases

It has the Annual Worldwide Companion Pass for $25k in spend (similar to the other cards).

1k SQM per 5k spend, like the other premium cards.

50K status for 2 years, and ongoing with 50k spend (which seems odd since you need 150k to keep the card). But your supplementary cardmembers also receive the status!
Basic and Supplementary American Express Air Canada Cardmembers will each receive Aeroplan 50K Status for the Elite Status benefit year in which the Basic Cardmember account is first established and for the following Elite Status benefit year. Basic and Supplementary American Express Air Canada Cardmembers can earn Aeroplan 50K Status for each Elite Status benefit year thereafter by spending at least $50,000 in net purchases (less any returns, credits and adjustments) posted to the Basic Cardmember’s Card account in the 12 months prior to their Card anniversary date.
I only skimmed the document, so there might be more.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
It would be hard to do that with an American Express (for me, anyway). I have both the Aeroplan Reserve and the TD VIP. Almost everything for work has to go through the VIP because none of my suppliers to American Express.
shuckit likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium / Amex Aeroplan Reserve / Aeroplan 50k
Hmmm. The link is dead now....
Did it mention the annual fee?
Old May 17, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Golf Canada Top 3%
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
Hmmm. The link is dead now....
Did it mention the annual fee?
if I'm not mistaken, it's similar to the centurian/black card which has an initiation fee of $10,000 and subsequent annual fee of $5000.
YULRvR likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: hahaha
reuploaded, will take down upon request

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N5a...ew?usp=sharing
YULRvR likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: AC SE, Shangri-La & IHG Diamond, & Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Interesting they took down the link.

Anyhow, I just don't see the value in spending for Basic Member $155K annually (spend + annual fee) just to get 50K. I feel like it should be SE since it is invite-only card.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
If I had the income to put $150k through a credit card and pay a Centurion level annual fee, I suspect I'd have no trouble earning 50k the old fashioned way, but I am sure I am not even adjacent to their target market.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
If I had the income to put $150k through a credit card and pay a Centurion level annual fee, I suspect I'd have no trouble earning 50k the old fashioned way, but I am sure I am not even adjacent to their target market.
I think in that case you might just be buying J, at which point basic *G doesn't get you much.

But I suspect there are a lot of people who can put $150k of expenses through a credit card.

Do we have any evidence that it's like the Centurion card?
Old May 17, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think in that case you might just be buying J, at which point basic *G doesn't get you much.

But I suspect there are a lot of people who can put $150k of expenses through a credit card.

Do we have any evidence that it's like the Centurion card?
I suspect you are right concerning J. My frugality would still have me doing Lat+eups where that's an option, though.

$150k isn't much of a stretch for a lot of even small-ish business owners, so maybe that is what they are after.

I was echoing someone else's comment re: Centurion, but it would seem that for segmentation purposes, the AF would need to be well above the AP Reserve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.