Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Strangely they have no problem lifting their own oversize "Crew" tagged bags into prime positions in the overhead bins and woe betide you if you even look at them with so much as a "why is this here?" quizzical look.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Strangely they have no problem lifting their own oversize "Crew" tagged bags into prime positions in the overhead bins and woe betide you if you even look at them with so much as a "why is this here?" quizzical look.
So? They also can use the bathroom themselves and put on their uniform without assistance.
jasdou likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
It's a joke based on my past experiences. I find it strange that you find it strange.
LOL- understood ^
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by RangerNS
So? They also can use the bathroom themselves and put on their uniform without assistance.
And you know this for sure?
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Good AC service thread, 10 replies in 24h.

Bad AC service thread, 100 replies in 12h.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA
I have seen a few people denied passage but it mostly involved refusal to check in carry on bags, bringing the bag anyway, and the ensuing argument at the entrance. My impression is that FA are not required to do the overhead lift of luggage because of injury concerns; many will help but they are not required to. My first thought was why didn't the 12 year old help her younger sister or why not tell the younger daughter to move aside and wait. I have seen my fair share of short tempered FA, but I really wonder how one would expect a FA to react when deciding to tell them what their job is. What does one hope or think is going to be accomplished by pursuing this verbal path? Sometimes one has to chose their battles, and not always have the last word.

On another point I am surprised that there was no LH people to talk to at FCO, my experience has been that there are ticketing supervisors at check-in area throughout the day. The TAP problem sounds as if the booking was on the UA website and the booking confirmation often says that partner airlines need to be confirmed.

I never think it is a good idea to threaten to take an issue to social media. Past history has shown that the airlines do not suffer long term financial repercussions from social media complaints, even from all cap "influencers".
skybluesea, m.y and princeville like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
You think a 10 year old should be able to lift a bag and safely store it overhead ?
Not quite.

I say if she was not able to and her father was not interested in helping, she should have checked it. I believe that's actually the rule.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not quite.

I say if she was not able to and her father was not interested in helping, she should have checked it. I believe that's actually the rule.
I'm gonna need a flowchart on this please.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Hairdresser with sense of entitlement is too lazy to help his own children put their bags in the overhead. Demands FA do it. FA refuses. Hairdresser has hissy fit and sternly lectures FA on "customer service." Captain who has far better things to do tosses hairdresser off aircraft. Hairdresser gets $10,000 lesson in manners.

Outraged hairdresser whines on FT and threatens to sic his wife on AC because she, gasp, works for an INFLUENCER AGENCY!!!!! (whatever the hell that is.) Perhaps Mr. Favaro is unaware that among the greatest influencers of public opinion in Canada is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, our national radio and television news network. They haven't had any success in changing AC behavior so it is unlikely his wife will get much done from her office in Chicago.

Mr. F, here's a little advice. Next time, help your kids, don't be a jerk and don't lecture the FAs. Happy landings.
Perfect, case closed IMO!
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 2, 2018 at 3:59 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I'm gonna need a flowchart on this please.
Rule is, your carry on should not be heavier than what you can carry and put in the overhead. Isn't that simple enough?
muji likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
And you know this for sure?
I fear the ramifications of offering to help them with either would be worse then being left in Europe.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
"I was behind them with my carry-on and my backpack and some shopping bags" according to the OP.

It looks as if AC is very generous with their baggage allowance how many is "some"? I doubt if the first time contributing OP will be back.
Clearly he had more than the allowable carryon luggage allowance. That is where I thought the issue was going to go when I read it the first time.
skybluesea, muji and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Stranger
Rule is, your carry on should not be heavier than what you can carry and put in the overhead. Isn't that simple enough?
May I draw your attention to the recent thread on the troubles that befell the family from Newfoundland who's wedding bags were lost. That thread was filled with comments that the passengers should have used carry ons. These non status pax can't win.

As an aside, what is a person with a disability to do? How about some of our older members? I don't think it is advisable for some of these older folks to be lifting bags lest they drop it on someone. Nor do I expect a small child to have to lift a bag, when the child can't reach the OH bin. In this case the parent was several people behind the kids so he could not help. I don't understand why the family was not boarded together. Was this a boarding error or were some pax too pushy?

Yes, I get it, that it's a over the top to drop this "INFLUENCER" silliness or to choose the airplane to lecture the FA on the presumed responsibilities of the FA. However, it seems to me that the pax had one of those miserable FAs that used to distinguish AC. Some of them were absolute bullies: Rude to other FAs and to pax. (And to be fair, despite all my recent troubles with AC which have included bad food, broken seats, delayed/misloaded bags, poor OTP, I have had only friendly and professional FAs who have been especially nice to me.)

It's sad that no other pax wanted to help the kids either. I often offer to help the older folks in J put their bag away. I just don't think it's right that someone's granny should be lifting bags like that. And a few flights back, I helped a kid on his way home to TPE get his bag. The poor little guy was too short to get to the bin. i think he was 14 or 15. Had it been EVA, the FA would have helped him, without asking. Super nice kid too.
Loren Pechtel and 1Newflyer like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:17 pm

I've said this before and I'll say it again, "Attitude is more important than Altitude (status)". Whenever I travel I'm surprised by the amount of over-entitlement I see from fellow pax. It's like they haven't travelled before in their life but I see those FF tags which clearly indicate otherwise which suggests that this isn't their first time mis-connecting, getting WX'd or MX'd. In this specific case if they didn't want to bother with carryons why didn't they check the darned bag in?

The problem with these complaints is they desensitize us from the clearly egregious errors airlines make like stranding pax for several days @ LGW! Arguably that is where all our fury should lie with the airlines. No doubt the OP will get this story CBC'd and AC will have to issue a formal apology.

Safe Travels,

James
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by FlyerTalker70; Aug 2, 2018 at 5:17 pm Reason: Added CBC bit.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
May I draw your attention to the recent thread on the troubles that befell the family from Newfoundland who's wedding bags were lost. That thread was filled with comments that the passengers should have used carry ons. These non status pax can't win.
Status don't get more carry on. And status checked bags go awry. I don't know how status plays into things, except that allegedly status bags come out first, but in a sample of 2-3, that has not been the case for me.

As an aside, what is a person with a disability to do? How about some of our older members? I don't think it is advisable for some of these older folks to be lifting bags lest they drop it on someone.
They can ask (& possibly pay) for special service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.