Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS
Mrs. OP stars in a video entitled "Give Her Bangs She Won't Regret.
Op is in the salon business.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Versions of OP's rant (which I assume to have been written by Mrs. OP, who is a native English speaker) have appeared elsewhere in Mrs. OP's *personal* social media (and visible to the general public) since July 24. It clearly wasn't gaining any traction, so the tale limped over to FT a week later.

One would have expected the universe to start shaking and quaking the moment that AC was informed that Mrs. OP works at an INFLUENCER AGENCY. Then I found a work sample that said a lot: Mrs. OP stars in a video entitled "Give Her Bangs She Won't Regret."

With the above info, I think we can safely conclude that OP has shown a tendency to not tell it like it is; I'm going with AC on this one.
It says what ? Bangs are a type of hair do/style.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA
Versions of OP's rant (which I assume to have been written by Mrs. OP, who is a native English speaker) have appeared elsewhere in Mrs. OP's *personal* social media (and visible to the general public) since July 24. It clearly wasn't gaining any traction, so the tale limped over to FT a week later.

One would have expected the universe to start shaking and quaking the moment that AC was informed that Mrs. OP works at an INFLUENCER AGENCY. Then I found a work sample that said a lot: Mrs. OP stars in a video entitled "Give Her Bangs She Won't Regret."

With the above info, I think we can safely conclude that OP has shown a tendency to not tell it like it is; I'm going with AC on this one.
All right, I admit after seeing your post and wanting to avoid the afternoon thunderstorm I took a look at the FB page.

The OP made a video with the kids at FCO airport. The incident as recounted by the daughter is slightly different than the one posted here.

OP claims to be four rows behind in the video

He says it is "4 Grand" to fly back.

Now here is the problem part. The 12 year old recounts the following -- this is the gist of the daughter words of what happened:

Her luggage was in the wrong position.
FA says "sorry you have to turn it this way" (
no mention of animosity)
Then father says "can you help my other daughter as she is too short"
FA: "sorry I cannot do that"
Father: "Why"
FA: "I am not allowed to do that"
Father: "Why: I paid for a service"
FA: No you paid for safety

And then the daughter says they were "bickering safety vs service"
And then she FA walked away.

Another FA comes and tell father why they were not allowed, in case they get injured ....
And then father says ' ok ok but I do not understand why they were not helping my daughter",
and then the FA says I need you to apologize, the original FA came, then they bicker, the FA leave, and Captain comes.

And now my grandpa is giving us miles, and we have to go at 8 something to Lisbon and stay there overnight....."

There was no claim that the FA was initially aggressive, or that she stated that it was the father's job to take care of the kids.

And the post here likely was at least heavily edited by the wife as the father calls the FAs "Hostesses" while the daughter says FA.

What likely happened with the TAP tickets is that since they were mileage tickets TAP had not confirmed them to UA.

I cannot reconcile how the father says it is costing him another 4 grand for tickets when the daughter says they got mileage tickets from grandpa. At this point they did not know that there was a problem with the TAP tickets.

At this point I am giving more of the benefit of the doubt to Air Canada. Not a good idea to tell the FA "I paid for a service" after FA said she could not lift the lugg

Social media INFLUENCER may include embellishment.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Plenty here forget that PIC made offload decision- so who here wishes to categorically state based on one-sided OP recollection that PIC got it wrong

come on, don’t be shy.

btw...if you say yes PIC got it wrong, then are you still willing to fly AC as obviously your making the statement about poor judgment, which ultimately why airlines still have human being behind the stick
james dean likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by runningonfumes
just sue AC. frankly, it is the only way to get them to do anything. then also make sure you don't settle before you get all the correspondence that will have been generated on this already. frankly, AC's FA's think they are untouchable and lie like bags of flour on each other until they get taken to task. even unions drop lying members like bad habits.
You can't be serious, sueing AC will only make your lawyers happy & the blanket statement on AC FA's is just ridiculous!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bottom line is that PIC is in charge of all aspects of the aircraft. The decision to offload a passenger is not made lightly and not made often. Nor are PIC's infants or "moody" as a general matter. Part of flying large passenger aircraft on long-haul routes is the ability to deal with stress. Thus, the issue here has nothing to do with the FA and whether the FA should or should not have done something, it has to do with an evaluation by the PIC that the passenger was a problem at ground level and potentially a greater problem at FL 39.

Would have been cleaner if AC had simply refunded the tickets on the spot and told OP that he might be happier on another carrier, but the fact remains that OP brought this on himself. The consequences flowed from his conduct.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Why are we wasting anymore time on this.

OP has fled the scene of the crime.

what was point of post with not a single follow-up.

OP asked for input so no thanks for 11pgs of input ?

👎🏼

Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by james dean
You can't be serious, sueing AC will only make your lawyers happy & the blanket statement on AC FA's is just ridiculous!
I suspect no attorney would take this on contingency. And just as AC would be open to discovery, so would the plaintiff. Every text message, every discrepancy, every post would be analyzed, Could try small claims court......
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
I'm sorry but after reading this thread, all I could think of is:

"Oh no! It's the INFLUENCER AGENCY! Run for the hills!"
skybluesea and james dean like this.

Last edited by closecover; Aug 3, 2018 at 4:14 pm Reason: replace inaccurate word usage
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by closecover
I'm sorry but after reading this thread, all I could think of is:

"Oh no! It's the INFLUENCER AGENCY! Run for the hills!"
Is that code for, if you don't comp my J flight and pay an appearance fee I'll write something nasty on FT, social media, Youtube or worse get you CBC'd?
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
My friend who is 6 months pregnant just experienced today a similar case of an AC FA refuse to help with the carry-on bag. It sounds like there is currently an active campaign by the union against helping customers with their carry-on bags.

People who work in delivery by truck (movers, furniture delivery,..), taxi and shuttle drivers carry heavy stuff all the time and it's an accepted part/risk of their job, and they are paid for it. Why can't helping paying passengers with their carry-on be part of a flight attendant's job ? Because they have a union that helps them get paid to do less ? If they don't like that part, they should look for an office job.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Yes, but we don't know the how the OP actually acted on board and we only have one side of the story.
We always have one side of the story in any post and in any forum. If you are interested in the other side of the story, then go and look for a post from FA. Your posts as are mine always portray our own opinions. Best comments are those that reflect what is written and not what one speculates might have happen or said. OP behavior did not warrant being kicked off the plane. FA should have been kicked off.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
People who work in delivery by truck (movers, furniture delivery,..), taxi and shuttle drivers carry heavy stuff all the time and it's an accepted part/risk of their job, and they are paid for it. Why can't helping paying passengers with their carry-on be part of a flight attendant's job ? Because they have a union that helps them get paid to do less ? If they don't like that part, they should look for an office job.
Movers -- well the definition of their job is moving things, so not really comparable. And look at the demographics of the movers that carry furniture and such up the stairs -- tend to be young. Some older taxi drivers cannot lift heavy bags into the trunks of their cars -- have had that issue when traveling with a 30 kilo checked luggage.

I would suspect the cost of having FA out on disability would be too high.

My carry on has been very heavy at times -- so bad that I thought about hiring a sherpa. When I was in my early 20s I carried a lot of camera equipment -- view camera with lenses, medium format twin lens vintage camera, 35 mm, tripod and that was heavy -- more metal used in the bodies. 20 some years later there is no way I could do that.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by YYC009
Clearly he had more than the allowable carryon luggage allowance. That is where I thought the issue was going to go when I read it the first time.
How do you get that from OP's post.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
People who work in delivery by truck (movers, furniture delivery,..), taxi and shuttle drivers carry heavy stuff all the time and it's an accepted part/risk of their job, and they are paid for it.
Sure, and there are folks who work with dynamite, radioactive material, high powered weapons, etc all the time as well. Would you expect a flight attendant to handle all of those things? Lifting a bag into a truck is a different beast from lifting it over your head.

Companies don't just make policies up. It is probably as a result of a number of back injuries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.