Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
People who work in delivery by truck (movers, furniture delivery,..), taxi and shuttle drivers carry heavy stuff all the time and it's an accepted part/risk of their job, and they are paid for it. Why can't helping paying passengers with their carry-on be part of a flight attendant's job ? Because they have a union that helps them get paid to do less ? If they don't like that part, they should look for an office job.
Because they don't wear protective gear like those working below the wings. And also each FA goes through weeks of expensive and intensive training (unlike those working below the wings) and the airlines don't want them to be forced to retire as a result of an injury.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
Why beat around the bush? Entitled american small business owner doesn't like that his escalation backfires and takes it out on AC. Sometimes, you have to let your ego at the door and admit defeat, even if in your own experience and according to your expectations you thought you were right. Or at least allow for your vis-à-vis in the conversation to have a voice. The tit for tat "you're in service cuz I know you are I'm in service myself; I'm not; you are; I'm not"... where did he think it would get him. It's communication 101. You just don't talk to anyone like that. It's passive agressive (if not straight agressive). It's infuriating and doesn't leave any leeway in the conversation.

We are in 2018. So I'll say it, because no one else has dared to. It's pure mansplaining. And then there's the abuse of power built on "I paid for this". I've got news for you, no you didn't (or in INFLUENCER terms: #sorrynotsorry). And even more so because you're throwing attitude around.

Seems to me, nobody picked up on the condescending nature of the exchange... It's there, in OP's post... just read between the lines. Maybe I've been influenced by the 11 pages of comments, maybe I'm not sticking to facts, but what's at play here is human nature, and not the most rosy side of it.

I'm not saying the FA displayed the most professional ever handling of the situation, if I believe OP's recollection above, but at the same time, she did go through the proper channel to try and defuse the situation by reporting to (presumably) the IC, who came and tried to resolve the situation before escalating further to PIC. OP just ridiculed the first FA some more in that exchange.

Once more, with available information and based on OP's post, I sincerely hope they don't get a cent from AC.

FA has my utmost respect, and I hope she'll get some extra compensation for the unnecessary stress and harassment she had to endure.
skybluesea and james dean like this.

Last edited by LeisureMiler; Aug 3, 2018 at 5:44 pm Reason: error correction
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I too am regularly a captain of a ship, with a skipper's ticket. If I had a FA equivalent to what was reported here (I'll take it at face value, I'm not changing my tune on the OP's self-dug grave) on the boat, he would be sent to pack his bags and walk the docks. Any power-tripping like that in the harbour is going to be explosive at sea. Don't need that.
I hope I never have a chance to sail with you if you employ "a FA equivalent to what was reported here". You seem to have a power trip mentality with "a skipper's ticket" and all that stuuuuuuff...
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
People who work in delivery by truck (movers, furniture delivery,..), taxi and shuttle drivers carry heavy stuff all the time and it's an accepted part/risk of their job, and they are paid for it.
Delivery folks deliver goods and therefore carry stuff, however taxi and shuttle drivers move people and are not required to pack your stuff light or heavy. When they do its because of courtesy and possibly a higher tip.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Asking for $10k as "a conservative estimate" isn't a good idea.

Don't we all have credit card statements for most things? If so, I'd get an exact total and ask for that.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by 24left
On my recent ticket there is this line in the Carry-on Baggage allowance section, with a link to the page on ac.com which says the same thing:
  • Your carry-on baggage must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../carry-on.html

So, to sum up, advice offered is:
1. Everyone who is anyone needs to read their tickets and ac.com
2. Leave ego at home
3. Accept the fact that some FAs are "moody". Indications of such are not always obvious. Signage would help. You being socially aware would help. Otherwise, keep quiet, don't ask for help unless someone offers and don't talk about "Influencer Agencies" on FT.
Yet, I see FAs helping people with their luggage almost every time I fly international.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
So today I learned that serving orange juice is "safety".
muji likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:02 pm

Better clickbait headline for this one:

Passenger flying Air Canada gets kicked off plane for refusing to say "sorry".
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by bost

As seen on The Beaverton, Last Week Tonight and other quality satirical publications.... oh and the CBC!
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bost

You (along with several others here) should have been his PR from the get go.

In addition to the better headline, there are many things he could have done to improve his chances of a favorable resolution:

1. More concise letter that focuses on being hung out to dry in FCO, and the demand for an apology; no need to mention a specific dollar figure during the initial salvo
2. Get contact info from fellow passengers (impossible to do after the fact, and difficult when being dragged off the plane, but a business card or two should have been easy to procure)
3. Go dark on social media until going a few rounds wrt #1
4. When finally diving into social media (e.g. FT), stay on top of it, and refrain from posting anything on FB/Twitter that could possibly conflict with #1
5. Kindly advise the wife to stay out of the way

Basically, whether or not he deserved to be booted from the flight, he could certainly come out on top if he played cool hand.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tinchote
Yet, I see FAs helping people with their luggage almost every time I fly international.
Mostly in J. Should you complain when an FA is nice enough to help when no obliged to?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog

In addition to the better headline, there are many things he could have done to improve his chances of a favorable
Assuming there are no ugly details the OP left out of his rant. Which is somewhat unlikely, given the sense of entitlement.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Asking for $10k as "a conservative estimate" isn't a good idea.

Don't we all have credit card statements for most things? If so, I'd get an exact total and ask for that.
post indicates lost day at the Salon, so presumably looking for business loss - can anyone ever recall an airline paying such compensation- not going to happen here when AC will claim abuse warranting PIC determination.

while rare, airlines do go after passengers for flight disruption costs, and for PIC to boot this person off flight, especially if they had checked baggage? delays often mount - we don’t know date so can’t look up particular operation.

i was surprised to learn just now how bad this situation with IATA reporting 30 incidents/day. And as AC carries nearly 50 mil pax out of global 3.8 billion I.e. 1.2% which on avg totals 140/yr or one every 3 days.

Evidently, AC as many airlines have their hands full with numbskulls far too often to tolerate what may, and I stress, may have happened with OP

https://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pa...-09-28-01.aspx

Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
How do you get that from OP's post.
Original post said, in part: "I was behind them with my carry-on and my backpack and some shopping bags."

So if he had a carryon bag (#1) and a backpack (#2) then the shopping bags (#3/#4/etc.) are above the allowable carryon baggage allowance as it is one carryon and one personal article (total of two pieces). The OP admits to having more than two pieces.
skybluesea and muji like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by YYC009
Original post said, in part: "I was behind them with my carry-on and my backpack and some shopping bags."

So if he had a carryon bag (#1) and a backpack (#2) then the shopping bags (#3/#4/etc.) are above the allowable carryon baggage allowance as it is one carryon and one personal article (total of two pieces). The OP admits to having more than two pieces.
unfortunately, with frequent stops here every year, my experience only is AC contract ground handler in Rome is less than marvellous so NOT catching this at Boarding gate hardly surprising - so FAs have to do ground ops job too in confined space no less.

OP before you post, how about stones and glass houses comes to mind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.