Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2018 v7

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
eUps are always calculated against the start to end distance, not the sum of the segments (that is, triangles get charged the hypotenuse). And the screenshots above clearly indicate a route upgrade and credit reduction.

It seems consistent with the eUp theory of operation.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
eUps are always calculated against the start to end distance, not the sum of the segments (that is, triangles get charged the hypotenuse). And the screenshots above clearly indicate a route upgrade and credit reduction.
It seems consistent with the eUp theory of operation.
You are right that the EYW and eUp treatments are consistent.

I presumed that the upgrade badge would be segment-based, as the game generally is. Wrong.
I also had a two-segment upgrade trip (LHR-YHZ-YYZ) where I got an EYW badge for both segments. In hindsight, that was because one upgrade was to Premium Economy and one was to Business Class. (so there were two lines of credits used on the screenshot)

Finally, their explanation wording ("unsuccessful" upgrade) confused the issue for me.

Luckily, it makes no difference for me in the end (in either placing or 2000-mile portions), so we are good. Moving on...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chriscol1
You are right that the EYW and eUp treatments are consistent.

I presumed that the upgrade badge would be segment-based, as the game generally is. Wrong.
I also had a two-segment upgrade trip (LHR-YHZ-YYZ) where I got an EYW badge for both segments. In hindsight, that was because one upgrade was to Premium Economy and one was to Business Class. (so there were two lines of credits used on the screenshot)

Finally, their explanation wording ("unsuccessful" upgrade) confused the issue for me.

Luckily, it makes no difference for me in the end (in either placing or 2000-mile portions), so we are good. Moving on...
That does solve a mystery. I live in YOW, so most of my trips (and upgrades) are multi-segment. Now I know why I am missing three u/g segs. It would have triggered another 2000 miles for me. Oh well.
--
13F
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
holy cow (pun intended)

total deja vu experience. I take you back in time 2 years:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26905401&postcount=804

Philelite wrote:
It's almost as if that philelite guy read the T&C's carefully and is trying to get rank 10 / position 11
and some irony:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26844842&postcount=587

2yrs ago Canadiancow was stalking and trying to PM a 7 year old super elite to avoid a tie. Now look who's tied....
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Aug 20, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Ties can be 3 ways too

The only guarantee with EYW is that AC completely screw it up *every single time*.

Wonder how many players there will be next time.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My upgrade badges posted. For those following the above discussion, I received 3 badges for YHZ-YOW-YYZ-SFO, and 2 for YYZ-YYT-YHZ. The others were all single-segment.

Consistently inconsistent.

Now I have to figure out whether AB has extra wings, or I'm missing some.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My upgrade badges posted. For those following the above discussion, I received 3 badges for YHZ-YOW-YYZ-SFO, and 2 for YYZ-YYT-YHZ. The others were all single-segment.
Consistently inconsistent..
A dislike button would be useful right now....
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dtman85
If it holds, there will be at least 8 not-too-happy people and 1 very happy one...
make that two
Just remember that none of the team badges have posted yet (at least, I haven't seen any). Now, both the team badges require international flights, so my sense is that most people won't earn any. However, if the person just behind you in the standings has an EYW handle of "International", for example ... there's a decent chance that they'll be getting some team badges sooner or later.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:34 am

Team badges won't break our tie
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Team badges won't break our tie
Yeah, but they might change who is currently in position 30/31, and thus hoping to benefit from your tie.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
My back and forth with them was very unsatisfactory. This is a manual effort and it seems that they do not have access to the information they need

I lose out on a 2K threshold but two weeks of emails has worn me down.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
Yeah, but they might change who is currently in position 30/31, and thus hoping to benefit from your tie.
In my case 50/51.
But I really don't need any eupgrades.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
My back and forth with them was very unsatisfactory. This is a manual effort and it seems that they do not have access to the information they need

I lose out on a 2K threshold but two weeks of emails has worn me down.
And this appears to be AC's plan. Wear people down.

Of course, you'd think by this point someone would have noticed that there are some people who aren't going to give up. Especially when there are a large number of points at risk.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
And this appears to be AC's plan. Wear people down.

Of course, you'd think by this point someone would have noticed that there are some people who aren't going to give up. Especially when there are a large number of points at risk.
You have to be sympathetic to AC though - this is a brand new competition that they're running here, it's not like this is the 7th time they've run the thing, with all the ability to learn from past experiences.

Oh, wait ... hold on ... I'm being told that .... hmmm .... ok, nevermind.
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
You have to be sympathetic to AC though - this is a brand new competition that they're running here, it's not like this is the 7th time they've run the thing, with all the ability to learn from past experiences.

Oh, wait ... hold on ... I'm being told that .... hmmm .... ok, nevermind.
I know this joke has been made, and I know I've responded the same, but...

The actual flights posting were better in v7 than any other iteration. It was their decision to say "hey, let's award wings/badges for lounge visits", i.e. the new badges, that caused most of the problems.

I think they fixed last year's problems, and said "we've fixed the problems", not realizing they'd created new ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.