FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Forum Lounge Thread (2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1885419-forum-lounge-thread-2018-a.html)

YOWkid Jan 4, 2018 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29251970)
@YOWkid you need to post here more often dude!
I guess you're not flying as much anymore...

I try to keep a low profile... ;)

eigenvector Jan 5, 2018 5:12 am

Ugh, sudden rainstorm here in Israel and despite keeping my passport in a freezer bag as I always do, some moisture got to the ID page causing a big red spot on the reverse side of my photo which I assume is a security feature. Why me...

ffsim Jan 5, 2018 9:48 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 29252856)
Ugh, sudden rainstorm here in Israel and despite keeping my passport in a freezer bag as I always do, some moisture got to the ID page causing a big red spot on the reverse side of my photo which I assume is a security feature. Why me...

It's ok, they're not known for being too security-conscious out there. Oh, wait.........

I just realized I *never* have my passport in anything more protective than an RFID sleeve, and I almost always keep it in my front pocket. What do the more well-travelled among us do? Hotel safe? Freezer-bag in pocket? Travel belt?

In other words, considering how important a travel document passports are to us, is it better to keep it nearby or lock it in a hotel room?

jc94 Jan 5, 2018 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 29253872)
It's ok, they're not known for being too security-conscious out there. Oh, wait.........

I just realized I *never* have my passport in anything more protective than an RFID sleeve, and I almost always keep it in my front pocket. What do the more well-travelled among us do? Hotel safe? Freezer-bag in pocket? Travel belt?

In other words, considering how important a travel document passports are to us, is it better to keep it nearby or lock it in a hotel room?

For years I travelled with a travel belt with it and cash in, was such a pain especially in warm countries. The only redeeming value was I had it on me at Machu Picchu to stamp it.
These days it's RFID inside bag, and then normally locked in the safe or buried with cash in the same wallet in my locked suitcase once at destination.

yyznomad Jan 5, 2018 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 29252856)

That sucks.

That's all I got. :p

eigenvector Jan 5, 2018 12:59 pm

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fefe55d0c7.jpg
Of course this happens on Friday afternoon, so no opportunity to contact the Canadian embassy until Monday. It's not a lot of water and I've certainly had more in previous passports that I continued to use for years (my philosophy and seemingly that of many immigration officials being that if the ID page is legible and jacket not torn, it's fine), but it seems there's now a similar feature to what cheques (remember those, young FTers?) have that permanently highlights the area that was wet in red. :(

PB53x11 Jan 5, 2018 6:23 pm

Sorry for posting here - but it's not AC and I've never visited the WestJet forum: collision at YYZ, Sunwing and WestJet planes. A rather cold night for passengers to slide on to the tarmac.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/two-pl...port-1.3747926

pewpew Jan 5, 2018 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 29254705)
Of course this happens on Friday afternoon, so no opportunity to contact the Canadian embassy until Monday. It's not a lot of water and I've certainly had more in previous passports that I continued to use for years (my philosophy and seemingly that of many immigration officials being that if the ID page is legible and jacket not torn, it's fine), but it seems there's now a similar feature to what cheques (remember those, young FTers?) have that permanently highlights the area that was wet in red. :(

Have you thought of dumping the entire passport in water so that it's all red? :D

jc94 Jan 5, 2018 6:46 pm

I remember cheques. Actually used them just up until 2016... Both for a Qc trip where my Mom booked non Airbnb rooms and they wanted a chair and my condo building demanded them as a deposit for elevator rental.

A friend used his passport with ripped ID page three times. Back home and then for another trip where he risked it... Airlines didn’t have an issue neither did the machines letting him back home. The US official wasn’t happy but did let him in.

longtimeflyin Jan 5, 2018 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 29255857)
Have you thought of dumping the entire passport in water so that it's all red? :D

I see you really want to make friends on here.

quantumofforce Jan 6, 2018 1:01 am

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 29255920)
I remember cheques. Actually used them just up until 2016... Both for a Qc trip where my Mom booked non Airbnb rooms and they wanted a chair and my condo building demanded them as a deposit for elevator rental.

A friend used his passport with ripped ID page three times. Back home and then for another trip where he risked it... Airlines didn’t have an issue neither did the machines letting him back home. The US official wasn’t happy but did let him in.

I still need to use cheques to book our condo bbq pits. It's $11 but they do all the cleanup, so I find it worthwhile.

CanadianMike Jan 6, 2018 12:28 pm

Cape Town recommendations? Things to do / see? Places to eat? Go!

Here for a month. Doing my best to not get robbed, stabbed shot, and to only use the 87L of water a day per the restrictions with the severe drought...

yyznomad Jan 8, 2018 9:48 pm

Leafs are unpredictably annoying.

Raptors now own the third best winning %... just ahead of Houston!

yyznomad Jan 8, 2018 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by YOWkid (Post 29252007)
I try to keep a low profile... ;)

But you weren't a low profiler before! :p

airbus320 Jan 9, 2018 9:04 am

Originally Posted by CanadianMike (Post 29258346)
Cape Town recommendations? Things to do / see? Places to eat? Go!

Here for a month. Doing my best to not get robbed, stabbed shot, and to only use the 87L of water a day per the restrictions with the severe drought...

Victoria and Alfred Waterfront.....good restaurants and shopping. scenic views
Hermanus for land based whale watching. Not to be missed
Robben Island for Nelson Mandela prison
Stellenbosch quaint town and wineries
And of course Table Mountain
Tour of townships
Perhaps safari close to CPT