Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I would judge you in a very positive way. Especially if it was from Zenato![/QUOTE]

Check your email.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 20, 2018 at 6:47 pm Reason: edit quote
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Raps hit a buzzer-beater for the win over Magic!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
Raps hit a buzzer-beater for the win over Magic!
Oh man... I missed it! Why was the game even that close?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Oh man... I missed it! Why was the game even that close?
Dunno as I tuned in early in 4th but they had an 18-point lead that melted away in third and early fourth quarter. Getting the win is all that really matters.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Dunno as I tuned in early in 4th but they had an 18-point lead that melted away in third and early fourth quarter. Getting the win is all that really matters.
True. Feels like Raps have been tanking with big leads lately. Hopefully not a continuing trend.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Magic shot 65% in the 3rd qtr. I only saw a couple of mins of the 4th, but it looked like neither team wanted to win....
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I've owned several rollerboards and Satchels of varying brands and quality over the past 10 years and some of them barely lasted a year with the beatings they took via "overuse", if you will.

But so far, my Tumi satchel has withstood most of that... haven't had time to get it the monogram palette thingy done yet though. But I'm not hoity-toity enough for that.
I'm a huge fan of my redoxx air boss
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What do you currently have for carry-on? A lot of people like to deride the more expensive brands, but I've been extremely happy with my Tumi bags, and they've definitely outlasted the much cheaper bags that friends and family have generally bought. Even though I travel far more than they do.
I have a cheapo Heys and also a Samsonite. I work for a Asian company and apparently if you do not use Rimowa you have not 'arrived'. I have guys who work for me who have Rimowa looking down with disdain at my beat up Heys. Anyway I think the Heys handle will fall off soon. I typically do around 60 AQM a year plus a little bit on other airlines but the kicker is that I sometimes check my carryon - mostly when returning from the US and I have shopped for liquor which is 1-2 times a month. So the bag takes a bigger beating from being checked in. I do not deride the expensive brands, heck I have a few expensive things too, just not luggage. Maybe I will have to add it to Santa's list. Though I prefer if Santa gave me a new furnace first.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
I have a cheapo Heys and also a Samsonite. I work for a Asian company and apparently if you do not use Rimowa you have not 'arrived'. I have guys who work for me who have Rimowa looking down with disdain at my beat up Heys. Anyway I think the Heys handle will fall off soon. I typically do around 60 AQM a year plus a little bit on other airlines but the kicker is that I sometimes check my carryon - mostly when returning from the US and I have shopped for liquor which is 1-2 times a month. So the bag takes a bigger beating from being checked in. I do not deride the expensive brands, heck I have a few expensive things too, just not luggage. Maybe I will have to add it to Santa's list. Though I prefer if Santa gave me a new furnace first.
As I've noted above, I've gone through so many different types and brands... (I'll note here, including American Tourister, Heys, it luggage, Tumi, Rimowa, Fred Perry, etc.)

All I can say is that from my experience, you do truly get what you pay for. Tumi and Rimowa were/are my most expensive ones and they were the only ones that survived 500K+ BIS each.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Was it clear when you hired said person that there was an expectation of up to xx% travel?
Yes it's in the signed agreement. 25%. Reality has been much lower.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Yes it's in the signed agreement. 25%. Reality has been much lower.
Yeah, so your employee needs a reality check.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
So is this the HR advice thread?

What do you do with a young electrical engineer (EIT), working a company that derives 100% of revenue from out of town clients/projects, that doesn't want to travel when called upon?

Of course we are too small to have an actual HR department, and I'm far too nice a boss. I need to break the news that is essentially: no travel, no advancement... Maybe even no job.​​​
First try to have a frank conversation about why the person doesn't want to travel, especially if they already agreed to it in the interview/application process.

I can think of reasons why even the most diehard road warrior would want to hit 'pause' for a while - relationship problems, major personal health crisis or one in the family, etc. - that wouldn't be easy to discuss with a manager.

Then there's disputes and disagreements over how employees are compensated for travel hours that might make someone reluctant to travel.

The 'root cause' will change a lot about what direction you want to go here.
YYC traveler and jc94 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
One issue I've seen with travel in my profession is that it's so uncommon that most people say "Oh wow a free basic economy ticket to New York? Count me in!"

Whereas I tend not to "agree" until I've figured out how I have a good chance of sitting in J (YYZ-AMS did not work out, but at least I tried).

Mind you I'm quite willing to upfare, and I have eUps and miles.

But if I started being "told" I'd have to fly to CLT (we have an office there) on AA (it's a logical choice but I don't think we have an arrangement) in Y (with basically no chance to upgrade because I have no OW status), I'd push back pretty hard.

Mind you the travel expectation in my role is 0, so it's not at all the same thing.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
One issue I've seen with travel in my profession is that it's so uncommon that most people say "Oh wow a free basic economy ticket to New York? Count me in!"

Whereas I tend not to "agree" until I've figured out how I have a good chance of sitting in J (YYZ-AMS did not work out, but at least I tried).

Mind you I'm quite willing to upfare, and I have eUps and miles.

But if I started being "told" I'd have to fly to CLT (we have an office there) on AA (it's a logical choice but I don't think we have an arrangement) in Y (with basically no chance to upgrade because I have no OW status), I'd push back pretty hard.

Mind you the travel expectation in my role is 0, so it's not at all the same thing.
When one is still somewhat inexperienced, or "green", in the "working world", wouldn't that be a little much to request (but then again, I'm no millennial, so maybe it's a thing? *ducks and slowly walks away*)?
Other than that, I agree with what you're saying.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
When one is still somewhat inexperienced, or "green", in the "working world", wouldn't that be a little much to request (but then again, I'm no millennial, so maybe it's a thing? *ducks and slowly walks away*)?
Other than that, I agree with what you're saying.
Well as I said, I'm not expected to travel. All the travel I've done has been under a learning and development budget or a recruiting budget, where I've upfared out of pocket, and sometimes (in the Y to PY case) used eUps on top of that.

But none of this was mandatory, and I wouldn't have done it if they'd said "you must book basic economy and cannot upgrade".

It's very different if you agree to travel, though I can appreciate if you agree to 25% travel and are then told "basic economy only", though I somewhat doubt an FTer would impose that kind of rule.

Either way, my point is more that my colleagues LOVE getting a Y seat to LAX/CLT/YYZ/LHR/AMS/wherever. It's a free trip to a new place for them.

I'm odd in that I've been to all those places (okay not CLT, but... yeah). So I don't see it as a free chance to see a new city. I see it as a travel opportunity, which I will accept if the terms are right.

But again, it's an optional conference for me.

I have a friend who just flew BOS-SFO in Y on UA for work. His dad's GS, so there was certainly an opportunity to upgrade. But his attitude was "I'm small, E+ is fine". He didn't even ask for an RPU. Meanwhile, I know a few GS members who have RPUs they KNOW will expire, so when one of my best friends flies Y on a UA transcon, I feel a little sad.

Anyway... most people like flying Y. At least when they're young and single. But if you agreed to 25% travel, that's an entirely different matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.