Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Awesome, I will be traveling on December 21 & 22 (Friday and Saturday before Christmas), the biggest gong show days of the year for travel. Through ORD, no less.

This is going to end well.
I too have this feeling, leave YYZ mid December, connect through YUL in Jan and ORD in Feb. What could possibly go wrong.

There are other airports involved, but these three worry be the most. Fortunately ORD is just for getting home.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm actually considering booking a cheap ticket via ORD in the hopes weather gets me rerouted on an expensive non-stop.

But my schedule is flexible enough that it wouldn't really matter either way.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:53 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jc94

I too have this feeling, leave YYZ mid December, connect through YUL in Jan and ORD in Feb. What could possibly go wrong.

There are other airports involved, but these three worry be the most. Fortunately ORD is just for getting home.
Or you could try my rule - never fly East of the Continental Divide between US Thanksgiving and Presidents Day.

Okay, it's more of a guideline than an actual rule ...
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm actually considering booking a cheap ticket via ORD in the hopes weather gets me rerouted on an expensive non-stop.

But my schedule is flexible enough that it wouldn't really matter either way.
I've definitely booked a few things, such as tight connection, with hopes that a schedule change or WX would allow be to change a better option. Currently hoping for a small change on HKG-NRT-YYC that would allow be to lever open space on HKG-YVR-YYC instead...
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I've been told/sold on Rimowa carryon by several of my colleagues who have various versions. But I am cheap. Rather spend USD $500-$1000 on booze but I am tempted. Supposedly they are relatively cheaper in Germany.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
I've been told/sold on Rimowa carryon by several of my colleagues who have various versions. But I am cheap. Rather spend USD $500-$1000 on booze but I am tempted. Supposedly they are relatively cheaper in Germany.
I owned a classic for a year but then ended up selling it on Kijiji.

In the end, it wasn't about the quality, functionality, or stylishness (because IMHO it has all that), but it was more I'm not a rollerboard person.

I stay true to my Tumi satchel on trips of more than 24 hours.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
What do you currently have for carry-on? A lot of people like to deride the more expensive brands, but I've been extremely happy with my Tumi bags, and they've definitely outlasted the much cheaper bags that friends and family have generally bought. Even though I travel far more than they do.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So is this the HR advice thread?

What do you do with a young electrical engineer (EIT), working a company that derives 100% of revenue from out of town clients/projects, that doesn't want to travel when called upon?

Of course we are too small to have an actual HR department, and I'm far too nice a boss. I need to break the news that is essentially: no travel, no advancement... Maybe even no job.

​​​
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What do you currently have for carry-on? A lot of people like to deride the more expensive brands, but I've been extremely happy with my Tumi bags, and they've definitely outlasted the much cheaper bags that friends and family have generally bought. Even though I travel far more than they do.
+1,000,000

I've owned several rollerboards and Satchels of varying brands and quality over the past 10 years and some of them barely lasted a year with the beatings they took via "overuse", if you will.

But so far, my Tumi satchel has withstood most of that... haven't had time to get it the monogram palette thingy done yet though. But I'm not hoity-toity enough for that.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Nitehawk

What do you do with a young electrical engineer (EIT), working a company that derives 100% of revenue from out of town clients/projects, that doesn't want to travel when called upon?

Of course we are too small to have an actual HR department, and I'm far too nice a boss. I need to break the news that is essentially: no travel, no advancement... Maybe even no job.

​​​
Was it clear when you hired said person that there was an expectation of up to xx% travel?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​
Interview Question Number One:

Do you actively post on FlyerTalk?

(if they answer in the affirmative, go to Step: Hire)

canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:31 pm

​​​
This thread is pretty much whatever you want it to be... Heck, if you send that person the link to this thread, it even becomes your de facto HR department. Although I'm not sure how (s)he would feel about learning about job performance issues in this fashion...

The question posed by Bohemian1 is the key though.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I've owned several rollerboards
Roll-aboards, you ignoramus! How many Scotches have you had tonight? You know better...
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Or you could try my rule - never fly East of the Continental Divide between US Thanksgiving and Presidents Day.

Okay, it's more of a guideline than an actual rule ...
Yeah doesn’t really work with family commitments.

Plus YUL is thanks to AC YQ and ORD is due to airlines changing their non stops
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is pretty much whatever you want it to be...
Not entirely true... but ok.

Roll-aboards, you ignoramus! How many Scotches have you had tonight? You know better...

Um... will you judge me if I said a bottle of Ripasso?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Um... will you judge me if I said a bottle of Ripasso?
I would judge you in a very positive way. Especially if it was from Zenato!

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 20, 2018 at 6:47 pm Reason: edit off topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.