Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
SFO airport seems to be good at mktg.
I'd agree as they attended a recent San Francisco tourism board event here in Edmonton. Very proactive and good marketers.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anyone going to be in or around YUL Saturday night? I'm flying in on 780, and I assume I'll just get an airport hotel for the night.
Then you're doing Montreal wrong. Take the 747 downtown and have some fun.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Then you're doing Montreal wrong. Take the 747 downtown and have some fun.
^^^^^

(or taxi to any hotel is flat $40 CAD which is like 75 cents USD )
jc94, smallmj and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by 24left
^^^^^

(or taxi to any hotel is flat $40 CAD which is like 75 cents USD )
Yes, but the taxi doesn't have a number like 747 where I could mimic the 780 number which is close to a 787 number.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Yes, but the taxi doesn't have a number like 747 where I could mimic the 780 number which is close to a 787 number.
OK, you win.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
RBC: Puts me on hold to "double check" my claim then disconnect the call after 10 minutes.

Ayeeee 10/10 customer service, almost as good as AC
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
RBC: Puts me on hold to "double check" my claim then disconnect the call after 10 minutes.

Ayeeee 10/10 customer service, almost as good as AC
Is the claim a result of bank error? Usually they call me back if I get disconnected.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Is the claim a result of bank error? Usually they call me back if I get disconnected.
Yep bank error, no call back so far (10 minutes since call dropped by agent)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:44 am

Yep bank error, no call back so far (10 minutes since call dropped by agent)
I hope it's not a serious problem... I tend to work on other stuff in parallel to minimize impact when I expect hold times. To be fair, AC hold times have been stellar when I call as a non-elite, and agent response has been on the mark for the last 12 months or so... RBC depends on who you get, I guess like all larger organizations.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:49 am

I hope it's not a serious problem... I tend to work on other stuff in parallel to minimize impact when I expect hold times. To be fair, AC hold times have been stellar when I call as a non-elite, and agent response has been on the mark for the last 12 months or so... RBC depends on who you get, I guess like all larger organizations.
I hold products at all big five banks + Tangerine given the nature of my work.
Only RBC seems to have caused problems more than once for me thus far.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:00 pm

Your work involves testing FINTRAC? :P

​​​​​
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:52 pm

Your work involves testing FINTRAC? :P

​​​​​
As a product person, I want to know exactly what the competitors are doing. (Taking their best ideas and avoid their worst mistakes/instincts so to speak)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Conversely, I've had issues with RBC and TD, and RBC once fixed my issue and then sent me a $10 Starbucks GC in the mail. Nice touch
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:43 pm

As a product person, I want to know exactly what the competitors are doing. (Taking their best ideas and avoid their worst mistakes/instincts so to speak)
Sounds like "What would RBC do? Don't do that!" is your advice? =P
smallmj likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:07 pm

Sounds like "What would RBC do? Don't do that!" is your advice? =P
Well... there a few things they do quite well. One particular being Cross-Selling.. although as the older generation gets cycled out, the need of branches/human face will become less and less, the bank with the best CX, tech and payment platform will win in the end. (Which at this point seems like Scotia is the one who is ahead for now).

A suprising # of people seems to think the chinese digital payment platform is not replicable in Canada because "canadians don't care for that" as opposed to the truth: nobody wanted to use their garbage mobile payment solutions which they never really invested in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.