Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Without getting into the politics, does anyone know if a Canadian passport holder whose place of birth is listed as Iran is allowed to visit the US right now (no visa, no family, no medical, just visiting a friend (me))? I'm hearing mixed things from different people.
Short answer: "Yes, absolutely"

Longer background: A colleague is an Iranian citizen who's also a Canadian permanent resident. This colleague obtained a US visa as recently as 2 weeks ago and the officer confirmed that upon obtaining Canadian citizenship (and obviously a Canadian passport), no visa would be required and my colleague would be free to visit the US without issue.

To ease your friend's concerns, does he or she live anywhere near an airport with US pre-clearance facilities? I've found that the agents who man the walk-up "customer service" wickets are generally helpful and pleasant to deal with for these kinds of questions. It seems like they appreciate people taking the time and making the effort to ask questions rather than just show up and risk denial of entry.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
Short answer: "Yes, absolutely"

Longer background: A colleague is an Iranian citizen who's also a Canadian permanent resident. This colleague obtained a US visa as recently as 2 weeks ago and the officer confirmed that upon obtaining Canadian citizenship (and obviously a Canadian passport), no visa would be required and my colleague would be free to visit the US without issue.

To ease your friend's concerns, does he or she live anywhere near an airport with US pre-clearance facilities? I've found that the agents who man the walk-up "customer service" wickets are generally helpful and pleasant to deal with for these kinds of questions. It seems like they appreciate people taking the time and making the effort to ask questions rather than just show up and risk denial of entry.
Yeah, he lives in YOW.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Yeah, he lives in YOW.
If it's not out of his way, a quick visit to the customer service window can put his concerns to rest, but my colleague was extremely confident that a Canadian citizen born in Iran would have absolutely no problem visiting the US with a Canadian passport.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Well its their money and their prerogative. And even the airlines think they are special, hence the status benefits. Not sure what your point is. They may feel special and sometimes even I think they are special.
Or is it that volunteering is more special ?
I think he's just been super angry.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
After a long day of volunteering and now catching up on Flyertalk, it has dawned on me that several Flyertalk participants fly on airlines simply so they can feel special.

This is a revelation I never actually realized prior to today and it's actually pretty sad.
I always feel speshul. When the bus driver says "thank you" when I tap my compass card, when the urinal flushes as I step away, when the machine says "Approved" when I tap or type four numbers on a pad.... When my mom says "you speshul"... When the bartender acknowledges my existence... When yyznomad says "hello"... When I'm suspended from status, from FlyerTalk, from a slackline...

This is the first world. Sorry, developed nation... (Assuming you're in Canada). We are special.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Itemizing hotel expenses in Concur really blows. Especially if you have one offs (coffee from the bistro) or variable night rates or taxes for the room.

And our benevolent overlords require a scan to be attached to every expense. And, because they are from the school of redundant school, we have to send the paper receipts as well. So, I get to print Uber receipts too!

But I really enjoying doing bookkeeping work. Really, I do. It adds tremendous value to our customers and bottom line.
I'm annoyed because I know that for 95% if what I do, its direct billed to clients. Said clients may dig to the attached scans, but I've only had one issue with that happening. So, I really need to follow monthly changing policies of clients, most who don't care if it is below the stated contractual DNE.

Fortunately, I don't need paper, but even in the US, I'm scanning all receipts where USians can get away with nothing for <$25. Which means I don't scan coffee receipts.

It may be malicious compliance time.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:49 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by RangerNS
...malicious compliance ...
My motto for next week - thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
My motto for next week - thanks!
Yeah, I’m definitely keeping this in my back pocket
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Well its their money and their prerogative. And even the airlines think they are special, hence the status benefits. Not sure what your point is. They may feel special and sometimes even I think they are special.
Or is it that volunteering is more special ?
Seems like what I intended to say was not received with respect to what I wanted to convey and that was my fault. Sorry - yesterday was a long day.

I didn't mean to say that I find it's sad that some people enjoy feeling special as per the aviation process we all know and love, but what I meant to say was I find it sad the airlines have basically strung us along and we play their game while they laugh all the way to the bank and we seemingly don't know we're being played. They impose class division, separate groups based on fares paid. One could make an argument they are engaging in fare-ism or class-ism. Is that a new word? They are literally pitting people against each other, offering priority services to a class of flier while denying it for others. Can you imagine if such a blatant game was played in real life?

I don't think even I have to put a wink at the end of that last sentence.

Last edited by longtimeflyin; Jun 29, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Happy Canada Day 🇨🇦 to one and all!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
Happy Canada Day 🇨🇦 to one and all!
My company had a Canada Day party at work this week, but we ran out of poutine within 5 minutes.

The ketchup chips and Moosehead lasted longer.

​​​​​​
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Got CBC blasting all day long here and now I'm looking for this: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/16654/oh-canada

Screw Heinz!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:31 pm

My company had a Canada Day party at work this week, but we ran out of poutine within 5 minutes.

The ketchup chips and Moosehead lasted longer.

​​​​​​
One Moosehead down (hey it’s 5:30) and poutine is on way.

Missed the games but incredible results.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
€15 for 15GB + unlimited talk and text to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, US, and Canada + roaming in the aforementioned countries. I had it good
I have phone plans from countries I never lived in. Amazing the hoops I went through to get them, but saving tonnes.

Also, regarding Air Conditioning upthread, having lived in Singapore I got a real hoot out of the people in Vancouver using air conditioning.

Last edited by quantumofforce; Jul 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:36 pm

England vs Colombia. Wow, stressful afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.