Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Personally this is first time I got the flu in over four years and it knocked me out for five days thus far... so please get your flu shots asap if you haven't.
Interesting Jack as I've never had a flu shot and have never been laid up with the flu in my adult life. Ever. The occasional cold, sure, but never have suffered the flu like some friends so hopefully that makes me immune.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by tcook052
Interesting Jack as I've never had a flu shot and have never been laid up with the flu in my adult life. Ever. The occasional cold, sure, but never have suffered the flu like some friends so hopefully that makes me immune.
I had the same thought too... though perhaps a vaccine is better than hoping(unless you have serious reaction to it)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Flu activity in Canada up 72% this year: Flu activity in Canada 'high' and continuing to rise, latest public health numbers say - Health - CBC News

Which is not surprising, as UBC Student Health is completely swamped, no appointments were available for booking until 21 days later

Personally this is first time I got the flu in over four years and it knocked me out for five days thus far... so please get your flu shots asap if you haven't.
Even though H3N2 may have also mutated, making the vaccine less effective against it, some protection is better than none.

Point of concern though:
I got the flu twice this year in the span of two weeks, both times while traveling. Bad luck I guess
Originally Posted by songsc

LOL thanks. If I know which flight you are on I will tip a glass towards you as well. -15 doesn't feel that bad since we just had a week of below -20 not too long ago.
Somehow, the current bout of -4 weather in Norway feels worse than the -40 weather I experienced in Edmonton a few weeks ago. I think I'm getting weak
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by pewpew
Somehow, the current bout of -4 weather in Norway feels worse than the -40 weather I experienced in Edmonton a few weeks ago.
Weeks ago? It was "experienced" again yesterday.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Weeks ago? It was "experienced" again yesterday.
Well luckily I didn't have to experience that one
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Vaccines work best when they're delivered to enough people for herd immunity.

It doesn't matter if the strongest members of society don't need it to stay healthy. They need to get it to help the weakest members of society.
canopus27 and quantumofforce like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:25 am

No need to be jealous. Just wait till summer. Just wait till May.
When you say "Just wait till summer" you mean in YYT? Because it's windy AF this week too.

Aslo, anyone in Singapore for the do this weekend?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by pewpew
Somehow, the current bout of -4 weather in Norway feels worse than the -40 weather I experienced in Edmonton a few weeks ago. I think I'm getting weak
Humidity, wind, etc all have much to do about how you feel about temperature. I once encountered -10 in a humid, windy situation, unbearable. So it's probably not you getting weaker

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
When you say "Just wait till summer" you mean in YYT? Because it's windy AF this week too.
Every time I visit HKG/KUL/SIN in summer, I got hit with thunder storm followed by +35 degree temperature pretty much everyday. The good thing is that a quick trip down there will make me stop complaining the summer in YYZ.

And YYT has summer? I thought it's only winter, spring, and fall.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@ffsim

MEEP MEEP!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@ffsim

MEEP MEEP!
Sloooooooooowwwwww.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:28 am

Humidity, wind, etc all have much to do about how you feel about temperature. I once encountered -10 in a humid, windy situation, unbearable. So it's probably not you getting weaker

Every time I visit HKG/KUL/SIN in summer, I got hit with thunder storm followed by +35 degree temperature pretty much everyday. The good thing is that a quick trip down there will make me stop complaining the summer in YYZ.

And YYT has summer? I thought it's only winter, spring, and fall.
summer in YYT is a hidden gem, it is only 3 days long (according to Rick Mercer).
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
summer in YYT is a hidden gem, it is only 3 days long (according to Rick Mercer).
Are they consecutive days?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I came across the term MOLA today on FT.

I'm growing fond of it.

AC has a few of those.

Mistaken Or Lying Agent

Though I feel like over here on the AC forum, we prefer to say "did they say R space was required?"
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I came across the term MOLA today on FT.

I'm growing fond of it.

AC has a few of those.

Mistaken Or Lying Agent

Though I feel like over here on the AC forum, we prefer to say "did they say R space was required?"
Or just say I work at the airport.
canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Or just say I work at the airport.
GA went all IWATA on me, and I had hunch they were MOLA.

In addition to the "require R space" BS, I will begin using IWATA and MOLA from this point on.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.