Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Post your Super Elite S100K 2019/20 Benefit Year Qualification/Requalification Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your Super Elite S100K 2019/20 Benefit Year Qualification/Requalification Here!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Why be jealous? For those who earn SE from purely flying for fun, sure, it may be nothing but nice, but for many of us, earning SE means a lot of business travel, which often involves many nights away from home/friends/hobbies/etc, late nights, short-notice changes of plans, being subject to corporate travel policies written by people who never travel, etc.

Unless you're doing a huge amount of travel and falling just short of SE - in which case I'd suggest an MR/DR might be a decent value proposition - I wouldn't be jealous of the SEs. Since making SE, I get more upgrades, have concierge accesss, etc than I did back when I was a lowly Elite (back when it was P/E/SE) and doing, say, 40K or so a year. But I don't know that I enjoy my travel much more overall, for the aforementioned reasons.
Why be jealous? Since May I've been home about 6 weeks, including vacation time, so I'm missing all the same things you are, being subjected to corporate travel policies like you, living in a perpetual state of jet-lag because of being in a different time zone every week, living off of bad food and sleeping in ever changing beds...the difference? I don't have the extra perks you do.

So yes. I'm jealous. And I will be until I get SE, which may have to wait until next year. We'll see. My traveling position didn't start until the 3rd week of May so I had a shortened schedule to make it happen.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Why be jealous? Since May I've been home about 6 weeks, including vacation time, so I'm missing all the same things you are, being subjected to corporate travel policies like you, living in a perpetual state of jet-lag because of being in a different time zone every week, living off of bad food and sleeping in ever changing beds...the difference? I don't have the extra perks you do.

So yes. I'm jealous. And I will be until I get SE, which may have to wait until next year. We'll see. My traveling position didn't start until the 3rd week of May so I had a shortened schedule to make it happen.
As @Adam Smith suggested, how about doing MRs to get you over the hump?

Last edited by yyznomad; Oct 13, 2018 at 10:04 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Okay, jealousy sounds warranted then

I concur with @yyznomad that you might want to consider MR/DR if your planned flying won't get you to SE before the end of this year.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
As @Adam Smith suggested, how about doing MRs to get you over the hump?
It will be a DR if necessary. I'm cutting it close. Miles are no problem at all. I screwed up and did way too much LH and UA when I first got going.

All my booked travel takes me to the end of November and will leave me probably about $800 short. I may not actually have work travel in DEC so I'll have to turn to you fine folks and get some help putting a run together.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
It will be a DR if necessary. I'm cutting it close. Miles are no problem at all. I screwed up and did way too much LH and UA when I first got going.

All my booked travel takes me to the end of November and will leave me probably about $800 short. I may not actually have work travel in DEC so I'll have to turn to you fine folks and get some help putting a run together.
Oh man! $800 is an easy DR!
Yeah, we'll make sure you make the best of your DR!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You don't even need to do a DR. Just call in and upfare an existing itinerary. Move some Y to PY or J.

MRs take time and money. DRs don't have to take any time.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You don't even need to do a DR. Just call in and upfare an existing itinerary. Move some Y to PY or J.

MRs take time and money. DRs don't have to take any time.
Sure, that works too.

But what fun is that?
Stranger likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:50 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Mostly true. But if OP has a bunch of travel booked through a TA mandated by his employer, this can actually be very difficult, possibly impractical and even impossible, at times. In which case doing a DR may actually be more sensible.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Mostly true. But if OP has a bunch of travel booked through a TA mandated by his employer, this can actually be very difficult, possibly impractical and even impossible, at times. In which case doing a DR may actually be more sensible.
Bingo.

It's a 20 minute conversation to explain that no, YOU didn't pay for business class, I used my upgrades. "But your boarding pass says business!?!" Sigh.

I think co-pays count, right? Maybe a couple of those.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bingo.

It's a 20 minute conversation to explain that no, YOU didn't pay for business class, I used my upgrades. "But your boarding pass says business!?!" Sigh.

I think co-pays count, right? Maybe a couple of those.
So what if you get an op-up?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Co-pay counts 100% to AQD.

Jumping back a bit, I have some anxiety that my business travel will at some point be in the (30k-100k) range (or is that [30-100]?, ykwim). Below that, whatever, I'll pay for the preferred seats once a month.

SE and its rewards isn't worth traveling 95 segments for. It makes my 120 segments tolerable.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Dumb question, but with the early recognition for 100K, I see the change online, as well as the online additional benefits.

But I assume they still mail out a new package with cards, tags, guest passes?

I was curious if this was the case and how long it usually takes (outside of the Canada post strikes).

thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:31 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by doubleflier

I was curious if this was the case and how long it usually takes (outside of the Canada post strikes).
I'm not sure about "usually", but I got my package about six weeks after qualifying.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Co-pay counts 100% to AQD.

Jumping back a bit, I have some anxiety that my business travel will at some point be in the (30k-100k) range (or is that [30-100]?, ykwim). Below that, whatever, I'll pay for the preferred seats once a month.

SE and its rewards isn't worth traveling 95 segments for. It makes my 120 segments tolerable.
I hear that a comfort animal will help with that anxiety.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Thanks for the feedback. I'm about 4 weeks since crossing over, so will give it some time.

just wasn't sure what to expect and this is my first time doing an early qualification.
cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.