Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Plumber
I am happy to report that I just got off Fin 808 (C-GHQY) without a deflation. I was in 5D and that seat had been previously reported on the spreadsheet as having a deflation issue.

i tried to change seats before the flight , but the cabin was full. I switched to this flight from another Tokyo-Canada flight that was delayed and I got the lasr J seat- meaning no choice on seat selection.

It it has proven to me that even though a seat is listed as having an issue in the spreadsheet, it doesn’t mean one will still have a deflation issue today.
I think this is something we can reasonably expect.

Reported in the wiki yesterday? Much higher probability that one may encounter the park bench today.
Reported weeks/months ago? Most likely fixed.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:22 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Reported in the wiki yesterday? Much higher probability that one may encounter the park bench today.

Let's just hope that they are now getting the 'new' fix, versus the 'old' fix which will just fail again. It would be nice to have a permanent end to this for all involved.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Have to go teach in SIN. Flying there via TPE on BR because of this issue. If they're fixing it, they're not telling that to their AC customers.
Originally Posted by mamau
I have not been told that they are being fixed, no SD or no tech ever mentioned this. All they tell me is that's a known issue. The solution may be available, but not being implemented to my knowledge. It may be a matter of 'when'.
One imagines that AC could cobble together a data set of "all pax who have reported and requested compensation for a deflated seat issue", particularly if said individuals used an Aeroplan number, and use that info to send out an update acknowledging and sharing progress on their efforts to fix the underlying problem.

For whatever reason, they have decided not to do this.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium

I dunno...I flew the same aircraft 30+ days a part and the same seat still was not fixed.
D404 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP

To me it is not a given that a seat will be fixed. Even if someone worked on it (whatever they do to it I don’t know) , is it truly “fixed” at that point?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: AC E35K
I've had a bit of a weird communication from Air Canada re: deflating seats that I thought I'd share.

I had faulty seats on two flights in a row between LHR and YYZ. Was unable to move as J was full each time. Got the form from the SD on both flights. Hadn't heard anything or received compensation offer for four weeks so I submitted a customer care query. Was offered 2,000 miles (!!!) as a gesture of goodwill. Weirdly, the customer care agent seems to think I've already been provided compensation by 'the inflight team'.

It's super weird as my understanding was the inflight team doesn't provide compensation, this always comes afterwards and is triggered by the white form. Am I missing something?

I've pushed back and have requested compensation actually be provided, who knows what will happen. Last time I received 20,000 miles for my faulty seat so assumed I would receive the same for each flight on this itinerary given that they were both pancakes.

Had anyone else experienced this particular scenario?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: AC MM+
Originally Posted by chazbag
I've had a bit of a weird communication from Air Canada re: deflating seats that I thought I'd share.

I had faulty seats on two flights in a row between LHR and YYZ. Was unable to move as J was full each time. Got the form from the SD on both flights. Hadn't heard anything or received compensation offer for four weeks so I submitted a customer care query. Was offered 2,000 miles (!!!) as a gesture of goodwill. Weirdly, the customer care agent seems to think I've already been provided compensation by 'the inflight team'.

It's super weird as my understanding was the inflight team doesn't provide compensation, this always comes afterwards and is triggered by the white form. Am I missing something?

I've pushed back and have requested compensation actually be provided, who knows what will happen. Last time I received 20,000 miles for my faulty seat so assumed I would receive the same for each flight on this itinerary given that they were both pancakes.

Had anyone else experienced this particular scenario?
Unacceptable. Demand $1000 instead if they don't want to give you the usual amount of points. 2000 points are absolutely worthless, way too low. That being said, I have two lingering compensation claims from January, usually takes less than 10 business days for a response, and are now overdue.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by mamau
Unacceptable. Demand $1000 instead if they don't want to give you the usual amount of points. 2000 points are absolutely worthless, way too low. That being said, I have two lingering compensation claims from January, usually takes less than 10 business days for a response, and are now overdue.
Yeah I'm going to see what they come back with. In fairness, I think the person who emailed me misunderstood and thinks I've already been offered compensation. Will definitely not be accepted 2,000 miles for two pancake seats. Hopefully they're just overwhelmed or something.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Weirdly, the customer care agent seems to think I've already been provided compensation by 'the inflight team'.
The customer care agent actually said/wrote this in their response to you? Did you provide the green/white comp form's reference number?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:43 am

The customer care agent actually said/wrote this in their response to you? Did you provide the green/white comp form's reference number?
Yeah they wrote that to me. I provided both the white forms' ref numbers in my first communication with them. No idea if she actually checked the status of them.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah they wrote that to me. I provided both the white forms' ref numbers in my first communication with them. No idea if she actually checked the status of them.
I see.

From your profile info on the left, it looks like you're E35K? I wonder if status has any relationship to compensation? I haven't kept tabs on the anecdotal compensation posts in this thread. The most recent ones have been monetary comp, but from what I can recall, it was for mainly E50K and up... were there any non-status or lower-status AC passengers with deflated seats who received similar dollar amounts to say, SEs? (comparing similar base fare and flight length only as this makes it more "apples to apples")
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:41 am

Great news, folks, it appears DeflateGate, at least on select long haul flights is a thing of the past! In particular, it would appear that AC is now handing out mattresses which ameliorates the issue altogether.

Source :

-James
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Great news, folks, it appears DeflateGate, at least on select long haul flights is a thing of the past! In particular, it would appear that AC is now handing out mattresses which ameliorates the issue altogether.

Source : this trip report

-James
For others, you can FF to 11:27 for the comment on AC providing a "thin mattress" for sleep in the Dream Cabin J seat, as Dennis Bunnik (the vlogger person) states.

And to spare anyone further pain and time, it's the exact same Signature Service mattress pad that is well-documented in this forum.
Plumber and Adam Smith like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by j2simpso
it appears DeflateGate, at least on select long haul flights is a thing of the past!
I was axcited to see this, but it is not over yet!

As Nomad points out, they are only referring to the mattress pad, which became part of the picture with Signature Service...

The vlogger is lucky he did not get a deflated seat!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Plumber
The vlogger is lucky he did not get a deflated seat!
In some sense, it is unfortunate that he did not get a deflated seat. May have raised the profile of the issue even more.
Plumber, 24left, D404 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.