Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
787-9, FIN 847, 6K deflated

Reset worked temporarily but would slowly deflate bottom half of seat (top half ok). J cabin was full but SD offered to swap me with a staff member in cabin or give comp form. Was halfway through AC80 and entire J cabin asleep, didn't want to start shuffling bags etc. and waking people so took the comp form. SD handled it well and one of the flight attendants told me how serious the deflating issue is and pushed me to please write in to AC about it so they can fix it.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You should have asked for a form. Without that, writing in is your only option.
Writing in (via the "customer support / customer relations" option on AC.com) worked perfectly well for me. No "form" from the SD was needed in my "deflated biz class seat" situation. Received a response and resolution from AC next-day.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
The upper half of seat 8D deflated for me on AC114 (YVR - YYZ) last week. 777-300 Fin 732. Had it reset twice and it kept deflating so I told the SD I wasn't interested in further resets. Had to ask for a Compensation Form at the end of the flight and he filled it out for me. Haven't heard back but this was only five days ago so I'll give it some time before writing to AC. What type of compensation have been been seeing on transcontinental flights?

The interesting part about this flight was that the SD asked if I would mind switching from 1D to 8D since the daughter of the person in 8D was sitting behind me. I agreed since I didn't want the kid to fly alone. There was no mention of switching back to my original seat once I realized 8D was broken. Didn't push for getting my old and functional seat since it was "only" the upper part. For any longer flight where I needed to sleep I would have asked for my original seat back for sure.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by SweFlyer
The upper half of seat 8D deflated for me on AC114 (YVR - YYZ) last week. 777-300 Fin 732. Had it reset twice and it kept deflating so I told the SD I wasn't interested in further resets. Had to ask for a Compensation Form at the end of the flight and he filled it out for me. Haven't heard back but this was only five days ago so I'll give it some time before writing to AC. What type of compensation have been been seeing on transcontinental flights?
The answer is in the wiki. Expect $300 or 12,000 AE miles.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I received $500 AC credit in my situation (transatlantic flight, YYC --> FRA). YMMV, but as stated, I received no "form" at all from the SD. I just wrote in using the customer support / customer relations option on AC.com, and received a response literally one day later.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Waiting..

I got a white form for a DEL-YVR long haul deflated seat on Jan 14. Still waiting for a reply. I sent an email to the superelite email yesterday and so far only have gotten a auto-reply that it was received. Slow service for SE MM.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just to follow up on my situation from 2019: Flight was at the end of October; in December I wrote Customer Care and they stated that they couldn't do anything as they had yet to receive the other half of the form.

Fast forward to this week, where I followed up and got the following response: "we did not receive the form in our office which means that flight attendant did not submit it into us. We will have to manually complete this for you. One issue is the part of the form that we receive indicates the onboard issue as well as the choice of compensation you had checked off. Kindly provide this information to me and I will get this processed for you right away. "

I sent information on 1/31 and received a $500 eCoupon on 2/3.

So, even if you do fill out the white form, definitely worthwhile to persistently follow up.

T.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AskTravis
Just to follow up on my situation from 2019: Flight was at the end of October; in December I wrote Customer Care and they stated that they couldn't do anything as they had yet to receive the other half of the form.

Fast forward to this week, where I followed up and got the following response: "we did not receive the form in our office which means that flight attendant did not submit it into us. We will have to manually complete this for you. One issue is the part of the form that we receive indicates the onboard issue as well as the choice of compensation you had checked off. Kindly provide this information to me and I will get this processed for you right away. "

I sent information on 1/31 and received a $500 eCoupon on 2/3.

So, even if you do fill out the white form, definitely worthwhile to persistently follow up.

T.
It often takes a month though. If you really need the eCoupon now, then it might be worth an email. But if you can wait, it will almost always come.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It often takes a month though. If you really need the eCoupon now, then it might be worth an email. But if you can wait, it will almost always come.
Sure. I was 4 months on, so figured it was time to get a resolution.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
White form delay.

Because forms get lost or not completed etc I now take a photo of the form before ripping off the bottom stub. I think I will just send that to customer care to speed up process.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
e-coupon

Is the e-coupon valid for one year but then I can make a booking for a flight that is almost a year away?

Also - the e-coupon states that 2 can be combined for 1 flight, is this possible online or do I need to call?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Houminer
the e-coupon states that 2 can be combined for 1 flight, is this possible online or do I need to call?
You can do this online... no need to call in... but note that you can only use up to two forms of payment... for example i) one e-coupon AND one credit card OR ii) two e-coupons (in this case they must be enough to cover the entire cost of the ticket).
Houminer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
787-9 C-FNOG 832, seat 6K. Noticed that the seat was not padded well upon departure but didn't really occur to me about this issue until near landing when my bum was sore from sleeping and comparing other seats. Will write to AC and see what I can get.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The calf got $1000 for his massage being broken after descent started on HKG-YVR.

I'm a little jealous.
D582 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Was speaking to a friendly SD the other day who said he has noticed less deflating seats recently but agreed it’s still an issue.

Interestingly he said that AC and the manufacturer has identified a solution to deploy across the fleet. He said the deflating is due to a bladder leak in the seat and they are swapping bladders with a similar technology to run flat tires on a car so leaks will not just deflate entirely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.