Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by codfather
So will AC be actually updating any of the aircraft while they are in storage? It seems like the perfect opportunity to get rid of the deflategate issue! But given that AC will be short on funds, I have a lot of doubt that they will do anything... unfortunately
Anyone know if they are, in fact, fixing this issue?
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I would give a resounding "NO!"

First lie-flat flight since February and thus first deflated seat in the same time frame ... 3A on 787-9 Fin #837 .

Flat as a pancake upon boarding, so obviously staff are still not checking these seats.

It has been reset with the switch , but I am not holding out hope that it will stay deflated. J Cabin is full.

Only positive is that it's just YYZ to YYC so a short flight..
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:46 pm

Flew AC 008 from HKG to YVR on the 18th of August. This time, unlike the 777 I usually fly on, the aircraft was a 787(-9). Flew on Signature, as the chance of bid-upgrading being successful is higher than usual (COVID-19). I thought being on a newer plane meant that I would not encounter those seat disinflation problems. Apparently not. 4 hours into the flight, cruising altitude. I was laying down, enjoying some fast and furious, when I suddenly noticed that my bottom did not feel too well. I ignored that feeling and went on doing whatever that you would do on a flight. Fast forward to another hour. I returned from the bathroom, practically jumped onto the seat. You know what? I regretted that decision. A lot. The seat was COMPLETELY deflated and I feel like sitting on a metal bench with a warm cloth over it. It dawned on me that not even the seats of the 787 could not avoid the problem. I must've looked really frustrated because this kind and helpful flight attendant reset my seat. The seat remained completely fine until landing. I reset it by myself, seeing the access code that the FA had written down for me. Was "bummed" that this happened on a 787 too.
Instructions to reset the seat:
1) Head to the home screen of the side panel of the seat(where you control the seat positions)
2) Holding the Air Canada logo for around 7-9 seconds
3) Enter the passcode 3 2 1
4) Proceed to click the option that says "Reset Lumbar"
5) Wait a moment.
6) Enjoy your inflated seat
I hope this helped you.
-R
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
No. Deflated seat on 788 today.
Two resets worked. FA said it still happens all the time.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:28 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Nice to see things getting back to normal.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Nice to see things getting back to normal.
​​​​​AC: The world is healing but our seats are not
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have had some pretty soft seats (not completely flat, but close) upon boarding on at least two recent flights....but a simple reset re-inflated the seats and they stayed fine throughout the flights.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I came back to see if they'd fixed the problem before I book biz to Japan. Good grief. They just flat out don't give one sh!t.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I came back to see if they'd fixed the problem before I book biz to Japan. Good grief. They just flat out don't give one sh!t.
@Stgermainparis
Oh hey, thanks for dropping by.

I've done a little over 20 transcons since Dec and I may have had a mild park bench on one flight. So based on my single DP, odds are improving. I have no idea which birds have had the cushions replaced (as AC said they would be doing), but I've seen an OH bin on 1 flight, full of spare cushions, or so I was told when I thought they were duvet packages. YMMV.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Fin 740 seat 1D.

The butt cushion was completely deflated upon boarding. FAs reset it, which worked, so I'm continuing to sit here for now. But the SD is recommending we move because she knows it'll just deflate again. It's surprisingly hard to get two comparable seats together given it's booked 19? of 40, so I might just move if it gets worse or I want to sleep.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Well this is a new one...

Fin 806 seat 2K today YVR - YYZ. Seat was as flat as a park bench and after the 3-2-1 reset didn't work, the in-charge gave me a custom cushion base that's contoured to the shape of the seat.

Not sure if I loved it or hated it: It's a bit like a booster seat for adults and gives you a better view out the window, but in the upright position my feet didn't touch the floor (I'm 5'11) which isn't comfortable after just a few minutes. In the fully flat position it's quite comfy.

But don't get too comfy - no compensation offered.

Would be interested to hear what others think of the new 'Booster Buster'.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally

Not sure if I loved it or hated it: It's a bit like a booster seat for adults and
​​​​​​So they basically stole the idea from @canadiancow, who tested BYOB seat mattresses on AC before it was cool?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
I'm distinctly unimpressed that instead of fixing the problem or continuing to pay compensation that was at least somewhat reasonable until they do, they've decided to do something worse.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm distinctly unimpressed that instead of fixing the problem or continuing to pay compensation that was at least somewhat reasonable until they do, they've decided to do something worse.
+1.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I will continue to use my air mattress.
Attached Images  
Stgermainparis and 24left like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.