Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Great idea.

What could probably go wrong?
Paging @skybluesea
jc94 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC 754 SFO-YYZ fin 837 seat 1A.

Upper back deflated upon boarding.

Maintenance is taking a look and resetting it. But he's convinced it will work, and isn't familiar with replacing the bladder.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC 754 SFO-YYZ fin 837 seat 1A.

Upper back deflated upon boarding.

Maintenance is taking a look and resetting it. But he's convinced it will work, and isn't familiar with replacing the bladder.
I find it remarkable how often crew (inflight or ground) will still suggest the reset as a solution. When I tell them that it will likely deflate again in ~20 minutes, most reject that notion. I can't tell if they genuinely aren't aware of the true nature of the issue or if they're just feigning ignorance.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
I find it remarkable how many people continue to rationalise an abusive corporate relationship.
Mauricio23 likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:53 am
Original Poster

The reset lasted well into the flight. I'm not sure when it failed, because I deployed my own mattress shortly after cheese service, and I didn't notice it deflated again until I put the mattress away for landing.
Plumber likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: Free Agent
The reset lasted well into the flight. I'm not sure when it failed, because I deployed my own mattress shortly after cheese service, and I didn't notice it deflated again until I put the mattress away for landing.
another happy #ACGlamping experience....
wrp96 and jc94 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Did the SD notice and say anything?
Old May 17, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
I would really like to understand why people that are fully aware of the deflation issues continue to buy Air Canada J fares. Honest question.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad

Did the SD notice and say anything?
I told her I was going to do it. She asked me about it when I was putting it away. She was curious how I could inflate and deflate it so quickly.

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
I would really like to understand why people that are fully aware of the deflation issues continue to buy Air Canada J fares. Honest question.
1. Because there are generally no better options for me
2. Because an AC seat with my mattress pad is the most comfortable airline bed I've ever had
Mauricio23 likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

2. Because an AC seat with my mattress pad is the most comfortable airline bed I've ever had
This is a very powerful statement to me. I know you fly a LOT, and I know you have flown myriad other airlines and their F and J cabins.

Are you being hyperbolic? If not, I may actually go buy one of these things. Does this mean you use it every time, regardless of whether or not you have a deflation issue? Does it also mean you no longer make claims for deflation?
Old May 17, 2019, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
This is a very powerful statement to me. I know you fly a LOT, and I know you have flown myriad other airlines and their F and J cabins.

Are you being hyperbolic? If not, I may actually go buy one of these things. Does this mean you use it every time, regardless of whether or not you have a deflation issue? Does it also mean you no longer make claims for deflation?
For me, it adds a ton of comfort to any seat, at the expense of hassle and taking up some vertical space.

Therefore I only deploy it when the default comfort is subpar (i.e. deflated).

I absolutely make claims. I had to stand in the aisle instead of relaxing while maintenance worked on my seat. And I had to deploy my own mattress. The fact that it's comfortable doesn't make the whole situation acceptable.

I didn't get the form this time because 754 isn't a flight I want to waste time on, but I will be writing in. We'll see how 737 goes tomorrow.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I got to go #AirCanadaCamping last night on AC876. I declined Mx coming onboard as I had my air mattress to which the SD was appreciative in order to push back on time. Also given the option to move to 1G which I declined because a) I had the air mattress; and 2) that seat is way too noisy with the galley, snack basket, wine storage, etc.

Edit: Turns out I had this seat deflated back on March 07, 2019. March 07 Report

Last edited by YVRtoYYZ; May 21, 2019 at 7:35 am
Old May 21, 2019, 8:14 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
It's great that the SD was appreciative but what's next? Bringing our own speed tape and WD-40 on board to fix minor maintenance issues for them?
wrp96 and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I got to go #AirCanadaCamping last night on AC876. I declined Mx coming onboard as I had my air mattress to which the SD was appreciative in order to push back on time. Also given the option to move to 1G which I declined because a) I had the air mattress; and 2) that seat is way too noisy with the galley, snack basket, wine storage, etc.

Edit: Turns out I had this seat deflated back on March 07, 2019. March 07 Report
It's nice that you declined maintenance because you had your air mattress. But what about the downline pax booked in your seat?

I find it ironic that given # of issues people have had here, there is a proactive decision to not fix an issue when given the opportunity.
wrp96, canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It's nice that you declined maintenance because you had your air mattress. But what about the downline pax booked in your seat?

I find it ironic that given # of issues people have had here, there is a proactive decision to not fix an issue when given the opportunity.
This seat hasn't been fixed since March 07 or has broken again in the last 10 weeks. I always ask for the issue to be logged in the cabin Mx log, but in my experience the issue isn't always logged.

In this particular case, SD was pushing to close and push back on-time (yes...on-time) and offered 1G as an alternate. She was reluctant to bring Mx onboard as a result.
expert7700 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.