Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC ignores multiple SFO ATC go around orders Oct22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC ignores multiple SFO ATC go around orders Oct22

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by After Burner
You might have a more knowledgeable source than me but my information is that they did, in fact, pull the CVR.
Please stop adding facts like that. You're wrecking all the conspiracy theories.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Wink

Originally Posted by canopus27
I have not seen anything implying that there was a fault within the radio itself. The pilot said they had "a radio problem" (ref), which includes things like operator error.
o:
I am not a pilot but isn't that a little like a surgeon saying his patient had a "cardiac problem" when he loses the patient on the table.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by nomad420
I am not a pilot but isn't that a little like a surgeon saying his patient had a "cardiac problem" when he loses the patient on the table.
No it isn't.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Zorak
Sure, I mostly agree with this, except the statement wasn't that "if management cares there would be ZERO incidents," it was that "the fact that 'incidents' keep happening is a good indicator that noone cares." (emphasis mine)
I feel like we are disussing how to pronounce tomatoe. In fact, what happened is not evidence of the degree of care. It could be argued that it is evidence of how effective the actions taken are.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I feel like we are disussing how to pronounce tomatoe.
Probably -- anyway I was mainly following the thread out of interest to see what other information came to light, so I'll just shut up now
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:12 pm

I feel like we are disussing how to pronounce tomatoe.
Or how to spell it? Dan Quayle here?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:16 pm

The BS part of PR is not the positive spin while addressing the rot privately. Issue is trying to put down the 1% who may express any concerns, even though 99% believes the company theory and moves on. That makes it more suspicious.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by avcritic
The BS part of PR is not the positive spin while addressing the rot privately. Issue is trying to put down the 1% who may express any concerns, even though 99% believes the company theory and moves on. That makes it more suspicious.
Can you explain that again for me? What makes it more suspicious?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner
You might have a more knowledgeable source than me but my information is that they did, in fact, pull the CVR.
I don't; I can't find a story that states either way (the search gets lost in the stories about how the CVR was conveniently erased in the taxiway incident), and assumed that if the plane flew out an hour later that it wasn't pulled. Did you see it specifically mentioned somewhere? If they did pull it, great; I hope it adds some value to the investigation.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by jmastron
I don't; I can't find a story that states either way (the search gets lost in the stories about how the CVR was conveniently erased in the taxiway incident), and assumed that if the plane flew out an hour later that it wasn't pulled. Did you see it specifically mentioned somewhere? If they did pull it, great; I hope it adds some value to the investigation.
I don't have 100% confidence in my info so that's why I asked about your source. It does make sense that someone at AC would be all over this and not want to lose the CVR data a second time -- assuming that it wasn't already erased.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:07 pm

Can you explain that again for me? What makes it more suspicious?
Social media overdrive along with lack of simple initial details which ACA and TSB are privy to.

AC781 - Was there a technical problem with all three radios? Was the CVR erased? Why is even a talk about CVR being erased? That is illegal in lot of countries.

India incident - What was the fuel quantity upon landing? It is your plane, your crew, your information. Unless plane is still in India and someone is measuring with 5 gallon buckets, it shouldn't take this long. Was CVR erased?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Social media overdrive along with lack of simple initial details which ACA and TSB are privy to.

AC781 - Was there a technical problem with all three radios? Was the CVR erased? Why is even a talk about CVR being erased? That is illegal in lot of countries.

India incident - What was the fuel quantity upon landing? It is your plane, your crew, your information. Unless plane is still in India and someone is measuring with 5 gallon buckets, it shouldn't take this long. Was CVR erased?
I don't understand. Why does the fact that people sitting in their armchairs, asking questions about things they know nothing about, make anything, but the people asking, or suggesting, the questions, look suspicious?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:16 pm

So your primary concern, and thus source of suspicion, is that AC are active on social media ... but they are not using that platform to share all the details they have available internally ("which ACA and TSB are privy to")?

OK. I suppose.

That doesn't really surprise me at all (and it certainly doesn't alarm me) ... but ... to each their own.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:14 am

So your primary concern, and thus source of suspicion, is that AC are active on social media ... but they are not using that platform to share all the details they have available internally ("which ACA and TSB are privy to")?

OK. I suppose.

That doesn't really surprise me at all (and it certainly doesn't alarm me) ... but ... to each their own.
Public don't need all intricate details, just a reassurance from airline and regulator.

Is TSB even investigating any of these? Complete silence seems to be the strategy. AC46- We are in touch with India, AC781-Operating is investigating.

May be AC46 radio was not working and four mayday calls never reached ATC. Good for goose is good for gander.

I don't understand. Why does the fact that people sitting in their armchairs, asking questions about things they know nothing about, make anything, but the people asking, or suggesting, the questions, look suspicious?
Passengers are privy to one thing execs are not, their own cash, so they may make an uninformed and uneducated guess and go else where. BTW, AC is not the only airline flying planes.

The aviation analyst on CBC put it will, the broken radio theory seems to be CMA strategy.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:29 am

The crew may have said there was a "radio problem" but the most likely outcome is that the problem was caused by a bumped setting on the ACP.

Because the radios were serviceable (proof: they worked just fine once on ground) they didn't bother to snag anything in the logbook and the radios were never inspected, until the full gravity of the situation came to light after the ASR was sent in.

They'll get a stern talking to by the Chief Pilot and both pilots will promise to never, ever do it again. Case closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.