Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC ignores multiple SFO ATC go around orders Oct22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC ignores multiple SFO ATC go around orders Oct22

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmastron
There will at least be records of a mechanic taking a reported problem and attempting to reproduce, diagnose, or fix, whether any parts were replaced, etc.

In reality, the most likely explanation is that pilots not paying full attention set the wrong frequency and didn't notice the red light alerting them due to the same inattention. This will all be obvious from the CVR...oh wait, the airline let the potentially negligent pilots leave with passengers on a potentially malfunctioning (hah) plane, destroying that evidence.

Personally, I think it's time for some heavy FAA sanctions on AC. I'm not sure
whether that should be banning from SFO for a time, insisting that the pilots and dispatchers involved come testify under penalty of perjury, declaring that any passenger that wants a ticket refund can have one, or what. There's something systematically wrong here that nobody at the airline seems interested in fixing.

And yes, as mentioned, this incident seems much more related to the SFO incident thread where it started then disappeared, than this long catchall "Winnipeg" thread.
I agree completely, but I doubt that there will be any real repercussions until an actual crash happens. My family and I will not fly AC anymore.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
It happened again - October 22, 2017

This:
https://globalnews.ca/news/3821395/a...abort-landing/

The common denominators are an A 320 and AC. I find it very disturbing that the pilots said the radio was not working properly.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
If the radio wasn't working, the crew would not have received instructions to taxi. There is no mention of that. Cause for armchair speculation.
The only fact (public knowledge) is that the plane flew out to YUL 1:20hrs after landing. So either they were really good at fixing the radio fast, or the radio was always working

Of course we will never know what actually happened because the CVR will be gone.

Excellent to see AC actually called out on their serious safety deficiencies in the US media.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:37 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
This:

The common denominators are an A 320 and AC. I find it very disturbing that the pilots said the radio was not working properly.
If an Asian airline was pulling this kind of crap it would be suspended by the FAA yesterday, a la Asiana.

Hope whoever's bonus was based on not updating the A320 avionics suite is doing well today.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Hope whoever's bonus was based on not updating the A320 avionics suite is doing well today.
I don't follow your thinking. Aviation VHF radio technology hasn't changed since long before A320s were introduced. So you link this incident to FMS/navigational technology?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
This:

Unless I missed something, nobody ever reported the radio was not working properly.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by After Burner
Unless I missed something, nobody ever reported the radio was not working properly.
After landing, the pilot claimed to ATC that they had radio issues, to which ATC replied "that was evident".

I do agree with your above comment about VHF technology; AC mgmt deciding against updating the A320 avionics suite is a red herring.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
After landing, the pilot claimed to ATC that they had radio issues, to which ATC replied "that was evident".

I do agree with your above comment about VHF technology; AC mgmt deciding against updating the A320 avionics suite is a red herring.
Yes but the pilot's language about having a "radio problem" is what a pilot might say if the problem was self-induced. For example, tuned to the wrong frequency.

How could this happen? Pure speculation: maybe they set up the next frequency (ground) but mistakenly made it active instead of standby. Or thought they were tuning the other radio. There are lots of ways in which this can happen. I've made enough radio mistakes myself to know that.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:47 am

To this of us who do multiple landing and takeoffs each year with this airline, I think a fair question is this: What demonstrable steps do we see from Air Canada that indicate it is addressing what seem to be an increasing number of safety / safety culture failures?

I'm sure there will be all kinds of folks who will jump on such a question, but it seems fair. Do we have to wait for one of us to go down in an incident for such a question to bear resonance?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
To this of us who do multiple landing and takeoffs each year with this airline, I think a fair question is this: What demonstrable steps do we see from Air Canada that indicate it is addressing what seem to be an increasing number of safety / safety culture failures?
As far as I can tell, they are investing all their efforts in PR, not in making fixes.

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Do we have to wait for one of us to go down in an incident for such a question to bear resonance?
I suspect yes, it will take a crash for something to change in the culture. It shouldn't be much longer now before there is a crash.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I suspect yes, it will take a crash for something to change in the culture. It shouldn't be much longer now before there is a crash.
Will it? There already was a 'hard landing' - and nothing changed.
If there is a crash, will AC execs not get their bonus? I dont think so. So why should the very top care about all these occurences?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:50 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
We will probably never know, but I really question what is going here with cockpit management. ATC assigns a frequency, you read it back and punch into the radio if it's not already set up. They identify themselves on the new frequency and get no response.

At this point two pilots decide to ignore the issue for now and proceed to land. Is this SOP? I always thought you were supposed to go back the previous frequency, identify yourself and your status and inquire what the correct frequency is supposed to be. Or were they simply following the last "AC 781 clear to land, contact XXX at YYY.Y"?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Will it? There already was a 'hard landing' - and nothing changed.
If there is a crash, will AC execs not get their bonus? I dont think so. So why should the very top care about all these occurences?
Why do you think nothing has changed? Are you up on the flight polices and maintenance PIM?

Do you think that the cold statistical analysis that lead to not "upgrading" the 320s avionics suite was somehow invalidated? I think its clear it doesn't make sense to do that upgrade just before the one way flight to Arizona. Before the last rev flight? Before 1000? A "hard landing" was possible when they came up with their threshold for risk tolerance.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Why do you think nothing has changed? Are you up on the flight polices and maintenance PIM?

Do you think that the cold statistical analysis that lead to not "upgrading" the 320s avionics suite was somehow invalidated? I think its clear it doesn't make sense to do that upgrade just before the one way flight to Arizona. Before the last rev flight? Before 1000? A "hard landing" was possible when they came up with their threshold for risk tolerance.
I agree with what you are saying, but I would like to point out that I think some form of communication from AC would be appropriate at this point, if in fact something is changing. Even meaningless platitudinous PR would be nice -- in the sense that at least we, the flying customer, would know that they are paying attention and acknowledge they want to make things better. Heck, blame the tower at SFO if you want, but radio silence (pardon the pun) from AC is probably the worst response they could make.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
We will probably never know, but I really question what is going here with cockpit management. ATC assigns a frequency, you read it back and punch into the radio if it's not already set up. They identify themselves on the new frequency and get no response.

At this point two pilots decide to ignore the issue for now and proceed to land. Is this SOP? I always thought you were supposed to go back the previous frequency, identify yourself and your status and inquire what the correct frequency is supposed to be. Or were they simply following the last "AC 781 clear to land, contact XXX at YYY.Y"?
That presumes that the actions were explicit, explicitly ignored the error correction. The A/C radios might have been changed accidentally (and changed back quietly). Or the tower radios could have been. The tapes are what was spoken into the operators mic, not necessarily what was broadcast, not necessarily what was received by the A/C, and not necessarily what was received in the headphones of the crew.

It is suspicious that they ignored the red light, but I have no idea if it could realistically have been visible from the cockpit. Pilots have good vision, but peripheral vision and cognitive capabilities are finite. If you don't think your radio is broken, you think everything is fine, why would you be on alert for 1920's signal device?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.