Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC ignores multiple SFO ATC go around orders Oct22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC ignores multiple SFO ATC go around orders Oct22

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Obviously, you have never worked in a hazardous environment. It is exactly these types of events that give upper management the warnings that something is missing and that changes need to be made. BTW, in this event, there are, once again, redundant processes in place to prevent a ground strike. Of course, the primary barrier is the call from the tower. The secondary barrier is the light. These 2 barriers were obviously ignored. There is a third and equally important barrier. That is the pilots' ability to see as they land. Of course, if there was a plane on the runway, and they saw it, they would go around. They landed and they landed safely, I don't think we know if there was still traffic on the runway when they landed. The warning is that the first two (or perhaps more) barriers did not function as designed. Once you rely on the final barrier, you no longer have a redundant process. This is concerning. I think it is wrong to say that no one cares. I am sure that management cares and that they are doing everything that they believe is necessary to fix these problems.

Just my two cents.
This is great, except that another set of AC pilots (at least I hope it wasn't the same ones) ignored their eyes and almost landed on a taxiway with a line of planes on it at the same airport just a few months ago. I shudder to think what would have happened if those pilots had a "radio malfunction" also, since despite their after-the-fact explanation, it's pretty clear they only realized what they were doing after hearing that first pilot exclaim "Where's this guy going? He's on the taxiway!"

Having 3 redundant methods isn't so much redundancy when 2 of the 3 have failed. And AC not instituting procedures to ensure proper data collection after something like this is completely inexcusable.

If there was an equipment malfunction that was not positively identified and fixed, the airplane should not have been allowed to depart again until it was. If there was a human mistake, the pilots should not have been allowed to depart, and certainly the CVR should have been preserved to help figure out what happened, and whether it was a one-off situation requiring training for them, or a systematic issue that calls for procedure changes. But I guess we won't know until a "normal landing" like this results in a plane that can't be flown away to erase it :-(
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kjnangre
The two incidents at SFO. I follow the industry closely and I am not aware of any other worldwide airline that has had multiple such incidents this year or that came within a handful of feet of killing so many hundreds of people. Especially not airline that cares so little that they keep "accidently" letting the CVR get overwritten by quickly flying the plane again. So ya, there's lots of evidence.
So, the absence of your knowledge that something exists means that it doesn't exist?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AC 75K
...with no regard for the facts
Of which you have very little of unless you're considered an interested party to the investigation(s),
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmastron

If there was an equipment malfunction that was not positively identified and fixed, the airplane should not have been allowed to depart again until it was.
Surely that would have been the requirement, if the equipment in question was on the MEL. Which surely includes having fnctional radio communication.

If there was a human mistake, the pilots should not have been allowed to depart, and certainly the CVR should have been preserved to help figure out what happened, and whether it was a one-off situation requiring training for them, or a systematic issue that calls for procedure changes. But I guess we won't know until a "normal landing" like this results in a plane that can't be flown away to erase it :-(
Why would that be the case? No basis for that.

That we don't know what happened does not mean the airline does not.

Communication failures happen everyday. Sometimes lead to sending fighter planes to identify an airliner. In the current instance, just happened at a crucial time.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Well then, it's settled. I feel so much better now, I'll book some AC flights immediately.

You're exactly the same as the PR BS who call everything "normal", with no regard for the facts
When confronted with facts, you just resort to emotion? For the record, I believe, and have previously stated, that the attempted landing on the taxiway was a very serious event. I have said it truly needs to be investigated to determine the root cause and that, as a result of those identified root causes, barriers need to be reviewed.

You didn't answer my direct question. How will you know that things have changed, and you can fly them again?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm not nearly informed enough to have an opinion on AC's safety relative to other airlines, but from a logic standpoint "these incidents provide exactly the warning needed" is a non-sequitur response to the charge of "nobody cares."

The existence of warning signs does not in any way indicate whether those signs are being acted upon.

I will grant that evidence of being acted upon may be slow and non-obvious (internal review/reprimand/remediation may not be disclosed publicly, low-frequency events are hard to judge, etc.)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
from a logic standpoint "these incidents provide exactly the warning needed" is a non-sequitur response to the charge of "nobody cares."
Perhaps because that's how the system *is supposed* to work?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm not nearly informed enough to have an opinion on AC's safety relative to other airlines, but from a logic standpoint "these incidents provide exactly the warning needed" is a non-sequitur response to the charge of "nobody cares."
The segment that you quoted was a response to the notion that incidents would not occur if management cares. It was not meant as evidence that management does care. All I am saying is that, just because incidents occur, that is not evidence that management doesn't care. What they do about the incident, after the fact, demonstrates their concern. We don't have access to that information.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Stranger
Perhaps because that's how the system *is supposed* to work?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I was just pointing out that YEG_SE4Life's reply was non-responsive to rankourabu's charge.

The segment that you quoted was a response to the notion that incidents would not occur if management cares. It was not meant as evidence that management does care. All I am saying is that, just because incidents occur, that is not evidence that management doesn't care. What they do about the incident, after the fact, demonstrates their concern. We don't have access to that information.
Sure, I mostly agree with this, except the statement wasn't that "if management cares there would be ZERO incidents," it was that "the fact that 'incidents' keep happening is a good indicator that noone cares." (emphasis mine)

One could make the argument that because these events are still fairly low probability that there isn't enough data to draw that conclusion (if the same number comes up multiple times in a short period in roulette that doesn't necessarily mean the wheel is biased). But that isn't what you said.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Typical FT argument.

Alice "A because B"
Bob "B is not true"
Alice "How dare you say that A is not true! There's so much evidence of A! You're an idiot!"

In this case, you're Bob, and correct.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Surely that would have been the requirement, if the equipment in question was on the MEL. Which surely includes having fnctional radio communication.

Why would that be the case? No basis for that.

That we don't know what happened does not mean the airline does not.

Communication failures happen everyday. Sometimes lead to sending fighter planes to identify an airliner. In the current instance, just happened at a crucial time.
Seems easy to confirm, being from SF the local news outlets have not said anything regarding confirmation of radio failure. I have to believe that plane was immediately taken out of service and the radio equipment completely evaluated. If nothing is found wrong that pilot probably better look for work at Starbucks.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by nomad420
Seems easy to confirm, being from SF the local news outlets have not said anything regarding confirmation of radio failure. I have to believe that plane was immediately taken out of service and the radio equipment completely evaluated. If nothing is found wrong that pilot probably better look for work at Starbucks.
Again, nobody ever said there was a radio failure. The pilot used the vague, ambiguous phrase "problem with radio" which translates to operational error. He never said "COM Failure." I doubt he even realized the seriousness of the situation at that point. He thought all he had missed was the runway exit instruction. But it would've registered with him when he contacted ground and they read to him the dreaded FAA phone number that he was instructed to call after shutdown.

BTW. AC's A320s have 3 radios.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomad420
I have not seen anything implying that there was a fault within the radio itself. The pilot said they had "a radio problem" (ref), which includes things like operator error.

Stolen from pprune, here's a hypothetical scenario:
The radio volume is selected on and off by a press switch but it is overridden to on if the transmit button is selected in the comms panel. VHF 1 radio volume is off but as the panel is on transmit on VHF1 the sound from that radio can be heard. After they received the "cleared to land" message, the pilot presses the PA transmit button to make the "CC take your seats for landing" announcement to the cabin, then forgets to go back to VHF1 transmit. The VHF1 volume will then be off and the "Go Around" instruction can not be heard. After landing they look down and oops, realises the error. Presses VHF1 transmit again and they are back in the loop.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:26 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by After Burner
But it would've registered with him when he contacted ground and they read to him the dreaded FAA phone number that he was instructed to call after shutdown.
I imagined that ruined his/her day.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by jmastron
If there was an equipment malfunction that was not positively identified and fixed, the airplane should not have been allowed to depart again until it was. If there was a human mistake, the pilots should not have been allowed to depart, and certainly the CVR should have been preserved to help figure out what happened, and whether it was a one-off situation requiring training for them, or a systematic issue that calls for procedure changes. But I guess we won't know until a "normal landing" like this results in a plane that can't be flown away to erase it :-(
You might have a more knowledgeable source than me but my information is that they did, in fact, pull the CVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.