Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I do think the poster should be allowed to bid $100. And then let the bid sit there in the system until OLCI, at which time the bid is rejected because it is laughably below the lowest price they were prepared to take. If they're not prepared to take less than $500, I think it's actually helpful to tell the bidders that's the floor, but if our new friend wants to take a flyer with a patently futile $100 bid, why not?
My guess is that posting a minimum bid is based on research and evidence that presenting a minimum bid sets an expectation in people's minds. I'll wager that many of those people who can and do bid the $500 asked, might themselves come in with a lower bid, if such bids were allowed. So, again, I suspect the minimum is done intentionally, based on evidence that doing so generates higher bids and therefore higher revenue for AC.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Ignoring, for a moment that J benefits can save you > $100 depending upon what benefits one wants to utilize and may or may not get based on *G or AC status of varying levels remember that AC clears bids to J 3-4 days out.
Given they don't (normally) oversell J, they are essentially reducing the number of seats they can sell, for top dollar, 3-4 days before the flight.

So in some ways, AC is taking quite a risk. Allowing LMUs are less risky because less people are less likely to buy (AC) flights within 24 hours of the flight. And yes I know people do even without FPs but I said less, not none
This may help explain why they set a minimum that may seem crazy, and may not even clear bids significantly above it if they think they'll get a better price by waiting.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
We got a DYKWIA here
Seriously though, this is one of the most ridiculous complaints I've seen on FT.

And that's sad, because many of us have real gripes with *G status, and how partner airlines treat other *G's. This post just diminishes valid issues.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Do you pinch their cheeks and say what lovely little rascals they are?
Tempting...... Will be on MiniDo to-do list now!!!!!
Transpacificflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.