Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tilhas
Air Canada treats Star Gold like ..... I discover this recently as I became Star Gold and flew a round trip to LAX.
1) They initially didn't want to give me a free checked bag and I had to show them I was star gold on my United App.

Did they have a way t know your status? Was it on your BP?
2) I asked if I could get upgraded from the back row as the entire J was EMPTY. No sir you must pay 800$. What a joke
3) They don't upgrade but want you to BID on an upgrade and the minimum bid was 500$ ...???
why can't the Min be 100$?
Standard for us too.

i hope all the other airlines treat the Air Canada SE the same.
Will that make you feel good?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Air Canada treats Star Gold like ..... I discover this recently as I became Star Gold and flew a round trip to LAX.
1) They initially didn't want to give me a free checked bag and I had to show them I was star gold on my United App.
2) I asked if I could get upgraded from the back row as the entire J was EMPTY. No sir you must pay 800$. What a joke
3) They don't upgrade but want you to BID on an upgrade and the minimum bid was 500$ ...???

Why are you so bitter? Do you even know and understand UA's own upgrade policies? Item 1 seems like it was a minor inconvenience, but you got the right outcome in the end. Not sure whether your *G FFP # wasn't properly attached to the file or whether it was an AC IT issue not properly processing your status, but that certainly doesn't warrant a big to-do.

As for 2) and 3), get real. You may be used to your CPUs on UA, but AC is not UA, and you're not an AC elite. First of all, UA doesn't give out CPUs to *G. So why you would expect AC to give you a free upgrade? Secondly, AC's upgrade policy is that if you want to fly in J, you have to pay. You can buy a J ticket (paid or miles), you can use miles to upgrade a paid ticket (in limited circumstances), you can use your upgrade credits if you're an AC elite (of which we only get limited amounts), or you can pay cash for an upgrade (either a bid in advance or a "last-minute upgrade" at check-in, which is what it sounds like you were offered). Even those of us who spend six figures with AC don't get upgraded just because there are empty seats in J.

If you didn't like the price, so be it, you got what you paid for - a seat in Y.

I hope that, in the future, you are able to adjust your expectations to match what you're actually promised so that you're not so disappointed.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

Why can't the minimum be $100?

Because it's a business that wants to make a profit. You have not stated the route in question, so I have no idea if $500 is a "fair" price or not, but I guarantee you that AC is not going to upgrade people to J for $100 just for the heck of it.

Other posts states you are a former SE who decide to go over to United. I am not aware of an abundance of Star Alliance airlines that let Star G's from outside their program get upgrades for peanuts.
trooper and Transpacificflyer like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite

Hello. When you showed them your Star Alliance status, did they allow you your free bag? If so, I don't think you should have a problem.

Actually, this SE didn't treat UA the same way. I paid over $100 for J, and UA let me sit there. I guess I should feel fortunate.
Transpacificflyer likes this.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Nov 8, 2018 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Hello. When you showed them your Star Alliance status, did they allow you your free bag? If so, I don't think you should have a problem.

Actually, this SE didn't treat UA the same way. I paid over $100 for J, and UA let me sit there. I guess I should feel fortunate.
100$ for J! Air Canada wants me to BID starting at 500$ they should be embarrassed.

I couldn't do the bag on the app or on the kiosk. I had to wait inline to talk to an agent and she wasn't too happy and told me it's a business expense why don;t you just pay for it. I really wish their management changes.

Last edited by tilhas; Nov 8, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm 28 (not 17, or 10), and I've been carded in MLLs in Ontario and Alberta.
Originally Posted by rehoult
I'm routinely IDed going into MLLs. It's a licensed establishment with self-serve booze, so yeah they have an age policy. And to be clear, this isn't AC treating *G unfairly, the same rules apply to their own members.

The only exception I'm aware of is for underage SE, where access arrangements can be made with the concierge.
Well having met both of you before, I have to agree you two look very young to be drinking LOL.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
100$ for J! Air Canada wants me to BID starting at 500$ they should be embarrassed.

I couldn't do the bag on the app or on the kiosk. I had to wait inline to talk to an agent and she wasn't too happy and told me it's a business expense why don;t you just pay for it. I really wish their management changes.
Read my post again. I did NOT say I paid $100.00
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Well having met both of you before, I have to agree you two look very young to be drinking LOL.
Do you pinch their cheeks and say what lovely little rascals they are?

In respect to item no. 2, there is a significant difference between Air Canada and United's domestic business class. Why do you expect AC to hand out an upgrade gratis on a product that has value? One of the reasons why United is so liberal with its upgrades is because there isn't much of an opportunity cost lost in handing out the upgrade. AC's J class is often filled with customers who use electronic upgrades as part of their FF packages, or who wait, take the chance on availability and pay the incremental cost of the upgrade. On most flights there is someone willing to pay the additional cost that you considered too expensive. AC would not be using this strategy unless it was profitable. As was pointed out upstairs, AC FFs aren't given free upgrades either, so you were treated no differently than AC FFs.

If you are still unhappy, perhaps on your next AC flight, you can consider a tantrum at the airport or onboard to bring some of that United ambiance to the flight.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

How many times have you been upgraded on UA? If so, what routes?

S100 ToD? Is UA handing out such kind of upgrade fee? Nope.

Heavy AC and UA travelers.

​​​​​
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE

I had to pay $200 US to upgrade to an economy preferred seat on United after I was dumped in the back row... as a *G.... oh, and I have MP Silver status. But since I was flying on an Aeroplan reward ticket apparently that was good for absolutely nothing.

Sorry your expectations are a bit out of whack, but I certainly didn't go on the UA forum to complain about having to pay out of pocket to sit in a bearable seat.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Repooc17
S100 ToD? Is UA handing out such kind of upgrade fee? Nope.
​​​​​
I mean, yes, sometimes, but that's on like a 1-1.5 hr flight, not a transcon. AC's $120 LMU offers to PE between YYZ and SFO/LAX are pretty good value, imo.

Also, interesting to see so many people ID'ed for age at MLLs. I first became *G when I was 19, and the only time I've ever been asked my age when entering a lounge was in the UA F lounge at NRT when I was 21 or so.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
It did happen to me twice now tho recently my *G was not showing on AC BP, and I got Zone 4. When the agents checked their computer, my ffp was on file and the miles posted correctly....
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The latest outrage seems misplaced. A lot of those other people sitting in Y were likely AC's own *G who also did not get a free upgrade to those empty J seats. What makes a UA *G specialer? UA doesn't even move me out of the B seat in Economy-minus as a *G.
I do think the poster should be allowed to bid $100. And then let the bid sit there in the system until OLCI, at which time the bid is rejected because it is laughably below the lowest price they were prepared to take. If they're not prepared to take less than $500, I think it's actually helpful to tell the bidders that's the floor, but if our new friend wants to take a flyer with a patently futile $100 bid, why not?
canadiancow and DNAwizard like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:44 pm

Looks like no *G benefits were denied, although entitlement had to be proved to get free checked bag. Poster may not like some of AC’s policies, but that has nothing to do with being *G. FWIW I don’t like the way AC does its bid upgrades either. Get rid of the minimum bid - nothing says AC has to accept the offer.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Embarrassed about what? You still haven't told us what route you were flying, but AC out of LAX, it's a minimum of nearly 3 hours to YVR and a lot farther to YYZ or YUL. There are plenty of people out there who will pay $500 or more for that J seat on other days, especially if it's a widebody and/or a redeye. The offer price can also vary with the fare class. If you bought a very low fare, they could well ask you for more than someone who paid a higher price for their ticket.

This is profit-maximization. Sometimes that may lead to empty seats in J, but there's nothing to be embarrassed about - it's business.

So you had a poor customer service experience at check-in, with difficulty in getting your *G benefits. But ultimately you got them and you didn't miss your flight or have TSA called on your for asserting your right to a free checked bag.

That kind of sucks, but it's barely worth a post on FT, let alone the persecution complex that you're displaying and your ranting and raving about AC's application of its stated upgrade policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.