Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:18 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Among the offenses/biases/prejudice the Original Poster would face over course of life, the Air Canada's "Are you in business class?" is very minor one.

When I first ever got Air Canada Silver in my younger self a decade ago, I dare ask the front counter to upgrade me to business. I was offered humble pie in the answer of "did you pay for business class? Are you super-elite? Maybe you should fly more with us". We're not really that special in grand scheme of things. There is this "newbie" look - especially at that time I didn't look like I know where I should be lining up.

Even when I first got my real elite status with ANA (and then Asiana) fresh out of university, the Asian carriers like my default one Asiana or Japan's ANA also say "this is for business class" or "are you Diamond or Star Alliance Gold"? I just didn't have the middle age (obviously) look nor the "rich guy" look.

As a visable minority living in Canada, I think Canada currently has those prejudice part under control. It's a give and take. People don't have the energy to do everything from a blank slate. We have to take mental shortcuts and people generalize (and thus stereotype). If you look at other parts of the world, any part outside of "Developed West", the world is unjust. I am fully aware I am more likely to be treated in prejudice in Malaysia (where Chinese & Indonesian tensions are always present), than I do in say London. In fact, probably get jailed inside China if I didn't watch what I say. Outside the protective bubble of the developed west, you're going to face a lot more discrimination. You're going to face even harsher environments if you're female (think middle east).

I am grateful Canada is being among the more just society in the world and we're more just than anytime we have been in history. I think the younger of my millennial generation (and maybe upcoming Gen Z !?) need to beef up the natural slur defenses and allow slander to roll off the shoulders without being easily outraged. Save the anger and offense for things that are really worth fighting for.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:44 pm

^-- What a cool post offering some perspective on this matter. Thanks for posting.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by balexis
^-- What a cool post offering some perspective on this matter. Thanks for posting.
Agreed 100% yeunganson. Air Canada is a lot of things, they are not racist though.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: EVA Gold
I'm flying AC tomorrow from YVR to TPE , I'm hoping for the best !
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by johnny4508
I'm flying AC tomorrow from YVR to TPE , I'm hoping for the best !
Happy birthday? Happy fake ID?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, Marriott Gold
I am well past the age of consent, and I still get these comments directed at me if I'm dressed casually, or if I am wearing a backpack with a bicycle helmet attached to it.

Here's a tip for the lineups: Keep your status card visible like George Clooney does in Up in the Air... you will get fewer comments, especially at check-in lines.

If you still get comments, consider it a compliment that you still look young.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by roadracer
Here's a tip for the lineups: Keep your status card visible like George Clooney does in Up in the Air... you will get fewer comments, especially at check-in lines.
I did that for a while after seeing another FTer do it, but it's just extra work that shouldn't be required.

Though I guess carrying it with my NEXUS card isn't too big a deal.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Wow. I didn't know this was even a "problem". I encounter this all the time. I laugh and take it as a compliment. The FA is doing meal selection in J - does a double take, sometimes asks if I switched seats. Other times I'm told I'm the youngest SE they've seen. When I fly with my dad (no status), naturally it is assumed he has status. What's the big deal? I'm happy if he gets his meal choice first. Lounge access was the only actual "problem", which I fixed, instead of complaining about. After writing a very polite but firm email to the airline, a policy was instituted allowing for status passengers to access the lounge under the supervision of the F&B manager. It didn't always work, so I would once again be polite but firm and ask for a food voucher, which was always given. I am still asked quite often if I have status, if I'm in the right lineup. Sometimes I get an evil eye when boarding in zone 1. What's the difference? At the beginning of FF'ing, I had all my (status) luggage tags attached. It was fun collecting them - I had a bunch of them for all alliances and many airlines. At some point, I went incognito. It's more fun being the unexpected SE. I don't fly for fame, glory, or to wow my friends. I do it as part of my job (and then for fun, to visit the world), and this momentary "wow" impression on some stranger isn't what status is for in my case. I need it to make my life easier, and it is indeed there to ensure loyalty to AC - if not for SE, I would have long ago started booking whatever fits best.

Anyways, TL;DR - it really doesn't matter. If you feel that it does, that's fine, but just know that 99.9% don't care and the other .1% disdain you.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Wow. I didn't know this was even a "problem". I encounter this all the time. I laugh and take it as a compliment. The FA is doing meal selection in J - does a double take, sometimes asks if I switched seats. Other times I'm told I'm the youngest SE they've seen. When I fly with my dad (no status), naturally it is assumed he has status. What's the big deal? I'm happy if he gets his meal choice first. Lounge access was the only actual "problem", which I fixed, instead of complaining about. After writing a very polite but firm email to the airline, a policy was instituted allowing for status passengers to access the lounge under the supervision of the F&B manager. It didn't always work, so I would once again be polite but firm and ask for a food voucher, which was always given. I am still asked quite often if I have status, if I'm in the right lineup. Sometimes I get an evil eye when boarding in zone 1. What's the difference? At the beginning of FF'ing, I had all my (status) luggage tags attached. It was fun collecting them - I had a bunch of them for all alliances and many airlines. At some point, I went incognito. It's more fun being the unexpected SE. I don't fly for fame, glory, or to wow my friends. I do it as part of my job (and then for fun, to visit the world), and this momentary "wow" impression on some stranger isn't what status is for in my case. I need it to make my life easier, and it is indeed there to ensure loyalty to AC - if not for SE, I would have long ago started booking whatever fits best.

Anyways, TL;DR - it really doesn't matter. If you feel that it does, that's fine, but just know that 99.9% don't care and the other .1% disdain you.
Nicely put!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: EVA Gold
The flight today was fine , didnt get denied in the lounge somehow but i didnt give it a second thought.

They give out food vouchers?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No alcohol before 11a

I used my *G status to visit the lounge in the morning, and I was greeted by a sign declaring alcohol does not flow until 1100h.

What is this vulgarity? I thought the Puritans all wound up in the New England, not Acadia (so to speak). In New York I can drink at 0700h, albeit with someone else operating the taps.

Apologies for the shaky photo; the irony is not lost.
tcook052 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
I used my *G status to visit the lounge in the morning, and I was greeted by a sign declaring alcohol does not flow until 1100h.

What is this vulgarity? I thought the Puritans all wound up in the New England, not Acadia (so to speak). In New York I can drink at 0700h, albeit with someone else operating the taps.

Apologies for the shaky photo; the irony is not lost.
On behalf of all "Canadia", sorry!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by fumje

For only *G visitors? Or were you treated equally puritanically as everyone who suffers through NS liquor regulations?
TPJ and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by RangerNS
For only *G visitors? Or were you treated equally puritanically as everyone who suffers through NS liquor regulations?
If it is puritanical in Canada's Ocean playground province, what is it at the International YVR when I have waited until 11:30+ to be able to get a glass of tipple from the awkward adolescent type at the bar? (He had the dexterity and attention span of a chunky 19 year old going through a growth spurt.) It was past 2:30 for the pax from YYZ and YUL who were connecting, but alas no fortifying libations as we sat out the delayed departure.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:15 pm

Air Canada treats Star Gold like ..... I discover this recently as I became Star Gold and flew a round trip to LAX.
1) They initially didn't want to give me a free checked bag and I had to show them I was star gold on my United App.
2) I asked if I could get upgraded from the back row as the entire J was EMPTY. No sir you must pay 800$. What a joke
3) They don't upgrade but want you to BID on an upgrade and the minimum bid was 500$ ...???
why can't the Min be 100$?

i hope all the other airlines treat the Air Canada SE the same.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.