Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
To canadiancow's point - asking isn't the problem. It is selectively asking, and using a statement instead of asking. Stating "this line is for business class only" implies that the agent thinks you're not travelling in business class or you are not entitled to the privileges of that line.

If they asked everyone entering the line, no problem with that.
I can't even convey, in words, the tone used.

Even a statement wouldn't be horrible. It's when there's a huge condescending emphasis added that it gets ridiculous.

AC cannot allow minors traveling alone (trying very hard to avoid the UM phrase) into the MLL. Fine.

But they do not need to be rude. And I totally believe that they were.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Even a statement wouldn't be horrible. It's when there's a huge condescending emphasis added that it gets ridiculous.

AC cannot allow minors traveling alone (trying very hard to avoid the UM phrase) into the MLL. Fine.

Rudeness, condescending attitudes, withering sighs, mumbling under the breath, slight head shaking...........all part of the way some AC employees deal with all customers.

These people really shouldn't be in the customer service business. I figure its about 20-25% of the employees in AC are like this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by canadiancow

we need SE tags with RFID. the line dragons would know and wouldn not need to ask those dumb questions.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by karachi
we need SE tags with RFID. the line dragons would know and wouldn not need to ask those dumb questions.
That would not work. Most of the time, I don't have a SE tag on my bag. Plus, people will away try gaming the system.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
That would not work. Most of the time, I don't have a SE tag on my bag. Plus, people will away try gaming the system.
Sounds like we've achieved bizarro world........SE's flying around without the SE baggage tag. On the other hand we have guys who were Super Elite back in 2003 who still have the tag affixed with that old tag-attacher thingee that all weathered and yellowed.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Or they can just use the basic etiquette that employees of countless other airlines seem to have mastered.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Johnny, some of the lounges don't let kids in, and my kid has status, what does that mean? Oh, right, there's rules, policies and procedures in place. When you grow up you'll find many more. They are a part of life and you'll have to get used to them.
Umm...you do realize you're on FlyerTalk?! Ask yourself what the main point of this website is
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
But the age of Majority in Canada is 18, including BC. Liquor laws do not follow Canada's age of Majority laws.
Does this mean that in BC I can get mad bookers but can't drink while doing it?

Edit: if I'm 18
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:41 pm

How about the walk of shame for scammers. Once you get to the front of the line if you aren't super elite they send you to the proper line and then yell "Next!"

Last edited by quantumofforce; Jun 29, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
OP - first of all, welcome to FT!

To your point about being told that the economy check-in line is over there... Agents have never been that rude to me, although I don't doubt your story. In fact, over-entitled passengers have been worse. I politely tell the agents that I'm *G/Elite/Business Class/etc. and they let me go on without any trouble. Sometimes, they'll even offer up an apology. I've seen them mostly ask your status/class of travel before you get in line, which is fine with me since they are enforcing the priority line.

As for the nosy over entitled passengers, I thank them for letting me know that I'm in the correct line.

I find age-ism and class-ism a lot worse in Asia. You definitely need to be dressed or look the part in order to stand in the first/business/*G lines. I've had agents question me and not an older person, even if the older person is the one actually in the wrong line.
I think one part is the racial discrimination that is prevalent in the US and Canada (as you can see by the recent lady who needed to have a "white" doctor for her son). There was a study done on white vs black people in New York City, and the white man was dressed very shabbily, the black man in a suit, and they monitored how people reacted when the person was wandering around in an apartment complex. The white man was asked if he needed help (as in finding his place), the black man was asked why he was there.
You are Asian, so if you don't dress as well you won't be treated as well as a white person (if you dress well, you still may not be though).

There is not so much an attitude of service here, and good service is something you "earn" almost. You will find many people here who say they have consistently good service, but they almost grovel. I don't know if you noticed, but sitting in the premium classes here passengers are very respectful, especially the frequent fliers, to the flight attendants.

But hey, you don't have any options flying in Canada, so what do you say.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Or they can just use the basic etiquette that employees of countless other airlines seem to have mastered.
You mean, innocent til proven guilty. Not a bum until proven otherwise? Elite until shown to be cattle?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by s0ssos
.....You will find many people here who say they have consistently good service, but they almost grovel......
I thought I'd address this line in your post.

I respectfully disagree. Humans have a wide range of behaviours and emotions that they use to get what they want. Some use pity, some use forcefulness, some use bribery (can be emotional bribery or the other kind) and so on.

While I find a smile and showing appreciation to people in the service industry can net better results, I think it is important while flying. The last thing you need is a cranky cabin crew when you have to spend many hours with them in that metal tube. Nowhere to hide.

I will also admit that sometimes, all the possible social graces don't work - the smiling and thanking parts, and you are just stuck with nasty, cranky crew and that can be on AC or on any other airline.

I can also tell you that I've received thank you notes from crew that I've flown with. I'm hardly a wallflower, and if I'm annoyed you'll know, but I try to remember where I am and that's important when bad service or another issue come up.

Anyway, this thread is also repeating many of the point bought up in other threads.

Last edited by 24left; Jun 29, 2017 at 7:26 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Sounds like we've achieved bizarro world........SE's flying around without the SE baggage tag. On the other hand we have guys who were Super Elite back in 2003 who still have the tag affixed with that old tag-attacher thingee that all weathered and yellowed.
I do not travel with my *A Gold tag for security reasons. I do not wish to draw attention to myself. That also extends to clothing, and e gadgets.
You will find that valuable personnel when traveling to risky destinations are told by their internal security departments/outside consultants to remove tags, expensive bling, watches etc. as well. No expensive flashy clothes, shoes, hand bags or luggage either.
Appreciably travel to Regina or Kamloops isn't high risk. However, AC provides flights for connections to places like Caracas, Lagos, J'burg, Phnom Penh etc.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I do not travel with my *A Gold tag for security reasons. I do not wish to draw attention to myself. That also extends to clothing, and e gadgets.
You will find that valuable personnel when traveling to risky destinations are told by their internal security departments/outside consultants to remove tags, expensive bling, watches etc. as well. No expensive flashy clothes, shoes, hand bags or luggage either.
Appreciably travel to Regina or Kamloops isn't high risk. However, AC provides flights for connections to places like Caracas, Lagos, J'burg, Phnom Penh etc.
That's a very good point.

My work trips to some SE Asian cities involve just jeans, t-shirt and a beat up knapsack from 2012. I go for the backpacker look. Always fun when I end up in a meeting room with people in suits and ties. I still don't understand suits and ties in S.E. Asia.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Paranoid person? Expensive bling, flashing money is one thing, but having a airline tag on your bag is way over the top. If you think by chance, someone from Caracas is on your Regina flight is "risky", believe me, some of the locals will get you well before a possible connecting pax from Caracas. BTW, is there even a *A Gold Tag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.