Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Another CBC article : granddaughter forced to sit in her own pee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another CBC article : granddaughter forced to sit in her own pee

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Ok I am going to throw an outside the box thought out here. Why is the current practice to place the biz lavatory at the front of the cabin?
The current front lav location cannot be used as seating area without impacting access to the L1 door. The L1 door (first door on the left and main entrance) cannot move forward as the curvature of the airplane would make door design and operation too prone to failure.

Because of the above, moving front lav would require an expanded galley be put into the area. This would free up galley space from the back of the aircraft for additional lavs.

However the big reason for not putting the front lav into a mid cabin lav position is the loss of seating space. The mid cabin lav would either take 4 biz class seats (2 seats for the lav and another 2 seats to allow for all biz class seats to have proper recline) or take six economy class seats. The loss of seats would reduce revenue by 5-10% per aircraft.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
what I mean is at the rear of the cabin between the biz class cabin and the economy class cabin. NOT at the extreme rear of the aircraft, I guess I wasn't clear when I used the terms cabin and middle of the aircraft.
United 737-900 have a lav between biz (er, "First") and stowage: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un..._737-900_F.php This seems a pretty reasonable layout, both for lav use during drink (and snackbox!) service, as well as providing a strong barrier across half the A/C.

AC has, on the 321 one lav midline, Aeroflot actually has two. Obviously, this helps not at all if you are forward of them during drink service, but service would take as long as an hour, which would really really suck for most people.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Don't forget the pilots, who will have to walk through the business cabin to the middle of the plane in order to use the toilet. Given today's security requirements, that's probably not feasible.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I'd rather not have the FA serving me in J have to deal with grandmas parading their overblown sense of entitlement and their pissy pant little grand kids.

And if that unsettles your views on what Canadians are "supposed to be" then welcome to the real world. We aren't all maple syrup and poutine.
WHile the above might make sense on a real airline, this is Air Canada!!!!! The FA serves you maybe 3x during a flight, this isn't some Asian airline where the FA's are wandering up and down the aisle looking to see if something can be accomplished.

It's just a kid who needs to use the can. Sure Granny sounds a little pushy, the FA did the correct thing according to her job. But was a little girl soiling her clothes and a seat for the next passenger to sit in worth it? If this happened on another airline it probably wouldn't be news, the problem is, AC has such an abysmal reputation, that almost any complaint can be brought to the media.

They've brought this on themselves.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I'd rather not have the FA serving me in J have to deal with grandmas parading their overblown sense of entitlement and their pissy pant little grand kids.
I would like to know what exactly was the FA serving on a domestic flight mid-flight? Hell, you ll be lucky if the FA is even around.....

Its domestic AC .... like chill... its not even a real airline/business class.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I would like to know what exactly was the FA serving on a domestic flight mid-flight? Hell, you ll be lucky if the FA is even around.....

Thank you. I wish I wrote that. Describes my feelings entirely. Let's get real here, this is AC we are talking about. Air Canada!!!!

The FA was most certainly sitting in the jumpseat focusing on passenger safety, they are primarily here for your safety you know?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

It is better than intra-European business class.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
It is better than intra-European business class.
Well, the seats are better on AC, the pitch is better and the space is better. True most intra-European business I have flown is simply the 3 economy seats with the middle seat blocked off.

But the service you get on board is better in Europe than AC. I flew Finnair from LHR-HEL and they were all over me with lunch, wine, drinks.

Air Canada doesn't have to compete with Air Berlin, Norweigian and Ryan Air either.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Air Canada doesn't have to compete with Air Berlin, Norweigian and Ryan Air either.
According to AC they are competing with SQ, NH, CX, EK, etc.

Back on topic. Since the article mentioned a cart in the aisle, I suppose that means two FAs serving drinks while another one is somewhere at the front "guarding" J cabin?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
According to AC they are competing with SQ, NH, CX, EK, etc.
I've seen others say that, is there a quote from AC anywhere on that topic?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I've seen others say that, is there a quote from AC anywhere on that topic?
Yes, when the cuts to Altitude were announced - there were a couple of AC employees - one higher up and one minion, who misjudged how their (short lived) participation on FT was going to be received after the cuts

Notable quotes included the above mentioned "we compete with/are like CX, NZ not UA/AA", as well as "upgraded elites cheapen the J cabin", and "AC is not a charity"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ess-class.html
http://threadtripping.boardingarea.c...titude-battle/
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ABG
Keep it up guys.... you'll bully Ben Lipsey into not posting soon enough
- October 26, 2014

Yup. Apparently.
Epic thread, well worth the read if for no other reason than insight into AC FTers.

And this, boys and girls, is why AC FT is a learning place:

Originally Posted by Acnyyz
I disagree. Let people debate in a respectful manner. I for one find it interesting to read the different opinions.

IMHO, that is what we have all done in this thread. Great to see that no one was throwing things.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
as well as "upgraded elites cheapen the J cabin."
I haven't been able to find the exact words contained in your quotation marks. Would you be so kind as to direct me to them?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I haven't been able to find the exact words contained in your quotation marks. Would you be so kind as to direct me to them?
That's because he never said people (i.e. elites) cheapen it.

He said upgrades (i.e. the benefit handed out to elites) do.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Here is the quote, sorry its been a few years... It refers to upgrading elites before the flight as a way of cheapening the J product
Clearly, AC believes their J cabin is as valued as CX or SQ J
There was another quote somewhere when it was said that AC is not in business of competing against UA/AA and the likes, but rather sees itself more of a NZ or SQ (not exact quote, put away your pitchfork)

Look, I won’t deny the discrete cost of moving somebody from Y to an empty J seat at boarding 45 mins before departure isn’t huge, but it does two things:
1) It cheapens the J product – I will again reference our European and Asian competitors who have very tight access policies to their premium cabins, and point out how highly valued they are, especially compared to our American competition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.