Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Another CBC article : granddaughter forced to sit in her own pee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another CBC article : granddaughter forced to sit in her own pee

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Why would there be an issue? Exchanging a seat cover or swapping out an entire cushion is a very standard, routine, and quick procedure as well as a frequently logged item. Extra seat covers are maintained on board in the event of an in-flight occurrence.
My question would then be she was the pax in this case given only tissues? But then the article doesn't say she told the FA anything ... it just says got napkins - perhaps she was busy already writing her articles.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:16 pm

This is one time I kind of agree with AC. The J cabin lav is meant for J only and that should be enforced. The booking agent was an idiot for putting them there and telling them that it's close to the lavs. If drinks service was happening, most FAs are pretty open to letting you get by especially on single aisle aircraft. This is just making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Isn't that J? Y pax aren't allowed to just come up and stand around in the galley grabbing snacks and drinks either.

Could that be aircraft dependent?

I had a PDB (water) incident on an E90 on a YYC-YOW red-eye, and the SD offered to get the seat cover replaced, but said it could delay departure.

Since it was during EYW (delays are bad), and I had no change of pants (which were more wet than the easily-blanketed seat), I declined.

But it certainly didn't sound like they had anything on board to deal with this.

I know the E90 comes with 9 hot towels (for 9 seats) vs like 30 on a 320 (for 14 seats), and I don't know if rouge aircraft are similarly stocked.
Spare seat covers are maintained abroad our aircraft to deal with situations away from Canadian Stations as they are not a stock item in foreign destinations. A seat cover change will address a lightly soiled/stained/damp seat. For deep saturation in the absence of a replacement:
>Remove Seat Cushion
>Remove Seat Cover
>Wrap in Plastic Garbage Bag
>Replace Seat Cover
>Add Blankets if necessary
>Log and replace at home base
(Martha Stewart would be proud)

Let it also be known that I have witnessed many scenarios were Crew members have washed and hung soiled clothes in the galley to dry, or to go as far as loaning Customers their own garments. That of course would never be newsworthy.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Now that I think of it, I'd like to equate the scenario here to the VIP cinemas that Cineplex have across Ontario.

It's a pretty fairly understood norm that VIP bathrooms are for VIP customers only. Can a VIP customer access a normal bathroom in the general cinemas? Sure.

This thread and incidents like this represent jealousy at its finest.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
... and the story is now spreading beyond just CBC.

https://www.popsugar.com/moms/Toddle...light-43658334
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canopus27
... and the story is now spreading beyond just CBC.

https://www.popsugar.com/moms/Toddle...light-43658334

And selective quoting by a mommy blogger.
Grandma Osmond wants this to be a major issue and so far has managed to get media attention. Maybe she realized many of the 700+ comments on the CBC page were not sympathetic to her, so off she went (with some help) to make this newsy news.

Let's see how many other families cancel their AC flights in support.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by 24left
Grandma Osmond wants this to be a major issue and so far has managed to get media attention. Maybe she realized many of the 700+ comments on the CBC page were not sympathetic to her, so off she went (with some help) to make this newsy news.

Well, I for one will cancel my AC flights in support. Oh wait...I'm not flying with them anytime soon.

In all seriousness, my myopic viewpoint of flying with AC on and off with my son from a 20 month old to a 4 1/2 year old have always been quite good. In fact, the FAs have never failed to be nice and accommodating within reason. The only "complaint" that I have is despite asking for and confirming kids meals, I'd say AC has been about 50% at best on this one.

In regards to his potty training days, we always took precautions and wouldn't risk not having him wear a pull-up just in case the flight encountered turbulence and he couldn't get an opportunity to go. So long as the child understands that this is a special circumstance, it does not impact the whole training purpose. My useless one-person viewpoint is that this is a lot of noise about nothing from Grannie O.

And yes, we also made sure we sat near and used the AC J washrooms. But then again we were flying in J.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC

The more that do the better. Those individuals should be flying WestJet. I hope the protests are fierce and rampant.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

Every time I am upset with AC with a bad experience, I am also going to insist the offending party personally call me to apologize . In addition to refunding the price of my ticket off course.
Starting with the agent at the SE desk who said I have to pay for preferred seats.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I don't think when 150 people are cramped into a small confined metal box for 4 + hours together, we should be so hung up about letting your fellow passengers use the business lav. Seriously. Where is your humanity? It is only a toilet !!! Let't back this up a bit and think how crazy some of these comments are, never mind this is a child. Do you remember? you were once a child.

I was on a A321 in Y this week, full plane, 3 Lavs for all of Y to use. One of them was out of service for the whole 4 hour flight. That left 2 Lavs for all the Y passengers. The bathroom line ups were nonstop. The chaos between food carts, buy on board, drink service, garbage collection, toddlers walking. If people need to go, it is not the end of world for some of your fellow human beings to share a toilet with you.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
If people need to go, it is not the end of world for some of your fellow human beings to share a toilet with you.
oh but it is, my boss/client paid a lot for my seat to have uninterrupted access to a toilet from overentitled toddlers.

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
The more that do the better. Those individuals should be flying WestJet. I hope the protests are fierce and rampant.
Only if "adults" who are repeatedly too drunk to fly and/or cause issues were forced to fly some other airline too....

Sometimes one just cant get rid of some people, no matter how we try.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:15 am

It reminds me one time I was on WJ flight between YXE-YYC-YEG. I am in row 3, with an empty seat next to me, in Plus seating. I am like, oh sweet !!! It comes with free meal and drinks and space galore.

A mom and young son get on at the very end. They go to the back and notice they were not seated together. FA frantically try to ask other passengers to help out so the mom and son can sit together. Crickets. No one offers to move. FA asks again for help the second time. Nothing. I hear the commotion in the back and wonder not a single person wants to exchange their seat? Really? FA walks to the front and I offered to give up my Plus seat for the mom and son. He was like, "Are you sure? You would give up your Plus seat for them?" It is not a big deal. I sit up here all the time and if someone else can be made whole and enjoy this experience and the food and drinks, I am more than happy to sit in the back. Both the mom and son really enjoyed the extra service and being together. They were so appreciative and as was the FA. He came back to offer me food and drinks even though technically I wasn't in Plus seats anymore.

In the end, kindness goes a long way and I can't help but to feel we need more of this than less. We can start with something small....like sharing a toilet.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't think when 150 people are cramped into a small confined metal box for 4 + hours together, we should be so hung up about letting your fellow passengers use the business lav. Seriously. Where is your humanity?
Can I come into your house, grab some food and drink, and use the bathroom?

It's a paid service, and making three trips up front is not an issue of "it's an emergency". It's an issue of disturbing the people who paid to avoid that.

It reminds me one time I was on WJ flight between YXE-YYC-YEG. I am in row 3, with an empty seat next to me, in Plus seating. I am like, oh sweet !!! It comes with free meal and drinks and space galore.

A mom and young son get on at the very end. They go to the back and notice they were not seated together. FA frantically try to ask other passengers to help out so the mom and son can sit together. Crickets. No one offers to move. FA asks again for help the second time. Nothing. I hear the commotion in the back and wonder not a single person wants to exchange their seat? Really? FA walks to the front and I offered to give up my Plus seat for the mom and son. He was like, "Are you sure? You would give up your Plus seat for them?" It is not a big deal. I sit up here all the time and if someone else can be made whole and enjoy this experience and the food and drinks, I am more than happy to sit in the back. Both the mom and son really enjoyed the extra service and being together. They were so appreciative and as was the FA. He came back to offer me food and drinks even though technically I wasn't in Plus seats anymore.

In the end, kindness goes a long way and I can't help but to feel we need more of this than less. We can start with something small....like sharing a toilet.
This is pretty unrelated and off-topic, so let's take it further. You have a house. I have a tent. You should trade with me, because I'll enjoy your house more than you will.

If you want to give up something you've paid for, that's fine. But it's completely ridiculous to expect others to do the same.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: AC E75K
I don't think when 150 people are cramped into a small confined metal box for 4 + hours together, we should be so hung up about letting your fellow passengers use the business lav. Seriously. Where is your humanity? It is only a toilet !!! Let't back this up a bit and think how crazy some of these comments are, never mind this is a child. Do you remember? you were once a child.

I was on a A321 in Y this week, full plane, 3 Lavs for all of Y to use. One of them was out of service for the whole 4 hour flight. That left 2 Lavs for all the Y passengers. The bathroom line ups were nonstop. The chaos between food carts, buy on board, drink service, garbage collection, toddlers walking. If people need to go, it is not the end of world for some of your fellow human beings to share a toilet with you.
You're going to get very little empathy from this crowd.

Airlines want those paying the least to suffer so they'll be motivated to pay for things like extra legroom, priority boarding, better food, additional storage, and exclusive bathrooms.

I'm not passing a moral judgment, but the business case is pretty logical.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:34 am

"Can I come into your house, grab some food and drink, and use the bathroom?"

That J cabin is not your house. You get a seat in J flying from A to B. Again, this child is not asking to eat your caviar or drink your champagne. That toilet is not yours. How is a child walking by using the Lav "disturbing you"? If she does not talk to you, how is she disturbing you? Were you not once a child?

Would you have a problem if there is only one toilet that is working in Y for 100 people back there and some of them have to come up to use the Lav in J?

When I gave up my Plus seat for that mom and son, instead of feeling "why should I give up my seat, if they want to be seated together, darn it, they should pay for it". I got off the plane feeling happy and positive. Again I am not advocating J passengers to give up their seats but show some humanity when it comes to sharing your toilet.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Jun 22, 2017 at 11:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.