Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada getting ready to introduce North American Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Premium Economy - Coming Soon to a North American Flight Near You - June 9

​​​​​​Link

Bar service................... as in complementary drinks or a cart and a credit card machine where they charge you?
Print Wikipost

Air Canada getting ready to introduce North American Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by yvr76
Surprised they're doing this. Just increase the preferred seat fee for it. With PY, they also have to give a 25% COS bonus and priority airport services.

​​
This is no surprise, the topic was initially raised last October, looks like 2Q2017 wasn't too far off the mark.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ow-body-j.html

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Hard to do much there.

Virgin has "Premium Economy" in North America.

Being based in SFO, I know people who won't book AC to Canada because "AC doesn't have first class, only business class".

There's no way they'd rename it to something that sounds even worse.
It has nothing to do with the product, and everything to do with the perception.

You're on FT. You know what you're getting.

Heck, how many threads have been started in the AC forum along the lines of "Why is AC Premium Economy so much more expensive than UA Economy+?"

People do not understand what it is, so they book what they THINK is better.
Completely agree. I find it humorous but not unsurprising that people will book one airline over another where both airlines offer pretty much the same hard and soft product, but one airline calls it "First" class instead of business class.

Another great example of the meek minded being taken in hook, line and sinker by marketing.

Last edited by jaysona; Mar 27, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
AC has basically done/tried this already. It was called connoisseur service. They found they lost way to much international business traffic. I would agree that they upgrade a lot of J pax, but it would surprise you how much J seats they actually sell. The smart move for AC would be to cut the size of the J cabin, but bad for most flyers.
Gosh, I barely recall the term Connaisseur, and you caused me to do a search.

How much smaller could they make J? It's already 3-4 rows. if they went to 2 rows, the dedicated FA would be lost. Service is a bit slow as it is.

I expect that the sold J is in respect to connections, so I do understand why some will always be sold. However, last connection to YYZ had 1/2 the J cabin filled with Rouge FAs.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I would agree that they upgrade a lot of J pax, but it would surprise you how much J seats they actually sell. The smart move for AC would be to cut the size of the J cabin, but bad for most flyers.
Thete is no need to be surprised. You can click any flight and see how many J seats are booked and how many are checked in. From thise who have checked in, you can see how many are upgrades.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Thete is no need to be surprised. You can click any flight and see how many J seats are booked and how many are checked in. From thise who have checked in, you can see how many are upgrades.
How can you differentiate between a paid J (or C/Z) customer checked in and a Lat/Flex eUp customer who has had their upgrade clear into J and is checked in?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Little disappointed this is happening but, definitely saw it coming. My main concern is eupgrades to the J cabin. If domestic PY does become similar to narrowbody J, does AC then up the amount of eupgrades credits for J and use the current amount for upgrading to PY? I know it's too early for an answer but it concerns me a little bit. Really hoping as others have said there will be upgrades for status pax if empty.
This is a good question.

We already went through that for international flights.

PY was introduced using fewer credits. J did not change.
We didn't go through exactly this on international flights. Think about it:

International
Scenario 1: X credits required to upgrade from economy to a J lie-flat seat since the introduction of the eUpgrade system.
Scenario 2: Y credits required to upgrade from economy to PY seat since the introduction of PY in wide bodies.
X>Y in terms of total eUpgrade credits required.

Domestic
Scenario 3: X credits required to upgrade from economy to a "classic" domestic J seat since the introduction of the eUpgrade system.
Scenario 4: X credits required to upgrade from economy to a J lie-flat seat since the introduction of the eUpgrade system.
Scenario 5: Y credits required to upgrade from economy to a PY seat as of summer 2017.

Internationally, scenarios 1 and 2 are clearly distinct. However, it's a different story domestically. Scenarios 3 and 4, while offering a very different hard seat, both require the same number of credits. Now we're throwing scenario 5 into the mix which offers the same seat as scenario 3 -- this is why top tier flyers like getting this "for free."

The "fairest" way to handle this would be for domestic J and PY to require the same eUpgrade credits while lie-flat requires something else. Ideally, lie-flat would not "cost" more than it does today, but based on the $300 fare premium for booking J on a wide body versus narrow body, I don't think that's really a realistic expectation. Unfortunately.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Gosh, I barely recall the term Connaisseur, and you caused me to do a search.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJBb3cIVD_w

How much smaller could they make J? It's already 3-4 rows. if they went to 2 rows, the dedicated FA would be lost. Service is a bit slow as it is.

I expect that the sold J is in respect to connections, so I do understand why some will always be sold. However, last connection to YYZ had 1/2 the J cabin filled with Rouge FAs.
UA's A319's only have 2 rows. That could be a start. Why is Dom J sold? First, 2K is not very much money to some people. Corp Travel over 4 hour rule, last min booking when J is only a few $ more than Y. Very common on the YVR-YWG route. People value comfort/money in many different ways.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ridefar
How can you differentiate between a paid J (or C/Z) customer checked in and a Lat/Flex eUp customer who has had their upgrade clear into J and is checked in?
The upgrade list.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Why is Dom J sold? First, 2K is not very much money to some people. Corp Travel over 4 hour rule, last min booking when J is only a few $ more than Y. .
You forgot connections. All of my Domestic paid J flights (and there are many) are part of an international J ticket- ie YOW-YVR, YOW-YYZ, YOW-YUL, YOW-YYC etc and the reverse. When flying YOW-YVR or YOW-YYZ-YVR there are always people in the J cabin that I later see at the International MLL heading somewhere else internationally.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Plumber
You forgot connections. All of my Domestic paid J flights (and there are many) are part of an international J ticket- ie YOW-YVR, YOW-YYZ, YOW-YUL, YOW-YYC etc and the reverse. When flying YOW-YVR or YOW-YYZ-YVR there are always people in the J cabin that I later see at the International MLL heading somewhere else internationally.
I was responding to Transpacificflyers post #62
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:13 pm

The upgrade list.
Huh? At best this shows how many upgrades who have cleared after T - 24h or whenever the "list" starts from. Once the flight goes to airport control I would assume. It in no way displays people who were upgraded but never on the list (who upgraded a Y fare at purchase as one example). Therefore you can't find out how many in J are upgrades. I know I am waitlisted for an upgrade <5% of the time. The other 95% I clear at time of booking.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Huh? At best this shows how many upgrades who have cleared after T - 24h or whenever the "list" starts from. Once the flight goes to airport control I would assume. It in no way displays people who were upgraded but never on the list (who upgraded a Y fare at purchase as one example). Therefore you can't find out how many in J are upgrades. I know I am waitlisted for an upgrade <5% of the time. The other 95% I clear at time of booking.
That is incorrect.

It shows you anyone who was upgraded, even if it was done 6 months ago on a Latitude fare.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: ba silver
I would defiantly buy it on long- haul domestic. The only time I've ever flown PE was with China Airlines ( who upgrade you to J on intra-Asia flights much to my delight ). I found the experience to be as good as North American domestic J/F. Let's hope it's that good with Air Canada.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
If you have checked in with a cleared upgrade, the Android app shows you on the upgrade list with a green checkmark. This happens even if you booked a month ago and received an immediate upgrade. I have personally seen this with 2 of my flights.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
If you have checked in with a cleared upgrade, the Android app shows you on the upgrade list with a green checkmark. This happens even if you booked a month ago and received an immediate upgrade. I have personally seen this with 2 of my flights.
It that is true I am shocked they are releasing the data for commercial reasons. Seems like it would be trivially easy for a competitor to figure out how much J they are actually selling. It wouldnt be trivial but it wouldnt be hard to further correlate the list with available fares and bucket availability to get a very accurate picture of how many seats are being sold at what fare. Seems to me WestJet doesn't need to scrape websites to get the data that AC sued them over taking. If I am WS, wouldn't I want to know if AC is selling 8% or 80% of their J seats on YVR/YYC-YYZ for example when deciding on competitive strategy and investment?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
It that is true I am shocked they are releasing the data for commercial reasons. Seems like it would be trivially easy for a competitor to figure out how much J they are actually selling. It wouldnt be trivial but it wouldnt be hard to further correlate the list with available fares and bucket availability to get a very accurate picture of how many seats are being sold at what fare. Seems to me WestJet doesn't need to scrape websites to get the data that AC sued them over taking. If I am WS, wouldn't I want to know if AC is selling 8% or 80% of their J seats on YVR/YYC-YYZ for example when deciding on competitive strategy and investment?
Perhaps AC didn't intend to publish this kind of information, but their IT implementation is so poor that this kind of info is given away. That being said, if you scrape the EYW contest leaderboards, you figure out each of the top players' routings and/or costs to a degree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.