Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because if there's R space on your flight, you can confirm the upgrade
Perhaps the logic is that you have to be on the flight at all to be approved for an upgrade.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: *$ Green

I made no such requests. I'm not even sure my inbound will arrive in time to make 421. If it was valid MCT, I would have just booked it that way. But I can't wait until I land in YUL, because the flight will have closed already.

I regularly go on standby for flights I have no clue if I'll make. Just a couple weeks ago, I was booked on 759, on standby for 739. I was downtown Toronto until after 739 departed.

This is a Flex booking for EYW. Real J standby doesn't show on both lists, and I suspect the priority is higher (though my position could be based on "SE J standby", which would be the same either way).

I like how we begged for the priority order to be disclosed, and were so grateful when it was, but it's missing so much information for situations like this
Ohh euped flex? Makes sense then.

Yeah. There are just too many variables all the time. My guess is that most of the time there's a valid reason why things happen (aside from IT snafu like different waitlists etc).

For the heck of it, buy a J ticket not on your aeroplan (put like a random name or my name for the lulz). And check in and standby early on the same flight as yours. I want to see where it will appear on the list.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Unless that person requested the upgrade a part of the check-in process, in which case the upgrade will only be confirmed when the flight closes even if R > 0, no?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gabdusch
Unless that person requested the upgrade a part of the check-in process, in which case the upgrade will only be confirmed when the flight closes even if R > 0, no?
Right, but then they're dumb
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:14 am

Sure, but not everyone reads FT.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:28 am

Suspect it happens more than we think. A friend of mine this week. P25, #6 on WL, J2 R0 at check in. She didn't play lotto
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by gabdusch
Or even, perhaps, at any point when R=0, doesn't need to be at check-in.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
It works

I like seeing my name on the list,lol

Right now I am sitting at D21 in DXB and see that j has 18 open seats and there is 17 on the upgrade list. All will make it including cons (air Canada employees)

How do I know, I love chatting up contract workers and she showed me the screen, names, priority list etc.

Anyone with a tight shirt on, pretty eyes and smooth talker with chocolate can do the same. Last month same thing he was very nice, hey don't judge it's 2017 😁
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Right now I am sitting at D21 in DXB and see that j has 18 open seats and there is 17 on the upgrade list. All will make it including cons (air Canada employees)
Wow, that is quite a long upgrade list!

I'm used to seeing busy upgrade lists on domestic trunks like YYZ-YVR, but not so much on international.

Last edited by gabdusch; Oct 22, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Okay, if you guys want to have fun with speculation, here is one for you. I am flying YYJ YVR. I showed up in time for the 12:15, but was booked on the 14:45. I went on the standby list. When the flight closed, I was number 1, but didn't clear. I was then transferred to the SB list on the 13:55 flight. I started at the top, but am currently in the number 5 position. I am flying on a latitude fare. What 4 people have trumped me in this line?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Okay, if you guys want to have fun with speculation, here is one for you. I am flying YYJ YVR. I showed up in time for the 12:15, but was booked on the 14:45. I went on the standby list. When the flight closed, I was number 1, but didn't clear. I was then transferred to the SB list on the 13:55 flight. I started at the top, but am currently in the number 5 position. I am flying on a latitude fare. What 4 people have trumped me in this line?
AC VIPs?

That or some secret 4MM club members.

Oh snap. Not supposed to talk about 4MM club. Rule #1 .
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:05 pm

There's an issue with SEMMs where the mere presence of one alters time and space around the gate, causing technical glitches and IT errors.

My guess (and I could be wrong) is that these people may be people that have been mishandled? (IRROPS, cancellations, misconnects, IDB?) I would assume they would have higher priority than a customer who has a confirmed seat later.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ridefar
AC VIPs?

That or some secret 4MM club members.

Oh snap. Not supposed to talk about 4MM club. Rule #1 .
The 4MMers secretly rule the 3MMers, who are all secretly ruled by the lone 5MMer.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I went to the gate and got an answer. Should we wait for a couple of more people to take shots at it, or just solve the mystery?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:18 pm

I went to the gate and got an answer. Should we wait for a couple of more people to take shots at it, or just solve the mystery?
Solve it doit.

inb4 error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.