Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Airbus A330-300 refurbishments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: YVR72
Note: please keep this thread to information on the refurbishment program and its progress; for discussion of which seats are best and other details about the interiors, please visit the seating information thread.

A330-300 Fleet Overview

AC currently has two configurations of 333:
  • Dream Cabin (16 aircraft): Latest 3-class configuration in line with the 787 and 777 fleets (seat map)
  • The "Merlions" (2 aircraft): ex-Singapore Airlines 2-class configuration (seat map), which are expected to be reconfigured to the Dream Cabin.
    • Important note: the front cabin on these aircraft is an angle-flat product in a 2-2-2 layout that was SQ's "regional" business class. On flights within North America, AC sells it as J; on international flights, they sell it as PY. These aircraft do not have the standard AC PY cabin
    • Since October 2023, these aircraft primarily operate YYZ>BOG>YUL triangle, and YUL<>LAX.
Status of Dream Cabin Refurbishment

Code:
32J 24O 241Y: 297 pax
C-GFAF (931) Completed @HKG, Oct 01/23 - Dec 09/23 [69 days]
C-GFAH (932) Completed @QPG, Aug 10/21 - Oct 05/21 [56 days]
C-GFAJ (933) Completed @QPG, Nov 24/21 - Jan 12/22 [49 days]
C-GFUR (934) Completed @QPG, Oct 08/19 - Feb 28/20 [143 days]
C-GHKR (935) Completed @QPG, Oct 04/21 - Nov 25/21 [52 days]
C-GHKW (936) Completed @HKG, Nov 27/21 - Feb 21/22 [86 days]
C-GHKX (937) Completed @RFD, Sep 02/20 - May 30/21 [271 days]
C-GHLM (938) Completed @HKG, Sep 30/22 - Dec 11/22 [72 days]
C-GEFA (939) Completed @RFD, Dec 31/20 - Mar 29/21 [89 days]
C-GEGC (940) Completed @QPG, May 17/22 - Jul 21/22 [67 days]
C-GEGI (941) Completed @QPG, Jan 10/22 - Mar 11/22 [60 days]
C-GEGP (942) Completed @QPG, Nov 06/19 - Jul 01/20 [238 days]
C-GHKC (943) Completed @HKG, Feb 21/22 - May 05/22 [73 days]
C-GKUG (944) Completed @QPG, Mar 02/20 - Feb 10/21 [345 days]
C-GKUH (945) Completed @RFD, Oct 08/20 - Jan 12/21 [99 days]
C-GOFV (946) SQ configuration
C-GOFW (947) Completed @QPG, Feb 03/22 - May 20/22 [107 days]
C-GXZD (948) SQ configuration
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Airbus A330-300 refurbishments

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Having been the victim of a last minute C-GFAF substitution recently, I have to say I strongly disagree.

1. The lack of storage and workspace is terrible. I like being able to eat and work on my laptop at the same time. And being able to leave my seat with ease with a meal tray already served. Both extremely challenging in the Dream cabin.
2. The angling of the seats away from the windows. Hate it.
3. The general age of the product showing after a decade of wear and tear.

The experience is so drastically different from the current Signature product it honestly feels like bait-and-switch when you end up on this bird.
Agree on all 3x counts. Personally, would add that I hate the lack of privacy with the XM pods. After primarily flying the current J product on 777, 787, and the re-furb'd A333's, it feels odd and open sitting in the old configuration being able to look around and see all the other pax.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Agree on all 3x counts. Personally, would add that I hate the lack of privacy with the XM pods. After primarily flying the current J product on 777, 787, and the re-furb'd A333's, it feels odd and open sitting in the old configuration being able to look around and see all the other pax.
Huh, I found the XM pods more private. Can't see what other people are watching, or what's on their laptop screens. Interesting. The new ones, you're sneaking up behind everybody just by walking the aisle.

So, not a lot of support from Team XM here. Maybe it's just me after all. Well I'll be side-sleeping at a 5-degree incline with a tray digging into my hip and a blanket wrapped awkwardly around my legs this weekend, but I'll take it like a man.
OMCA and billdokes like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
YUL-BOG

Flying YUL-BOG-YUL in March for spring break next year, couldn’t book business as it’s one of the SQ birds scheduled on the route right now, so I am booked in premium economy.

Has AC communicated a plan two upgrade these two birds?
Old May 8, 2023, 7:22 am
awt

Finally flew on these birds. May 5 AC94 YYZ-BOG. Was showing the old configuration till the day before my flight. Was actively monitoring if I would get C-GFAF roulette. It changed to the new configuration about a week out but then changed back to the old config few hours later and stays that way till the day before. I was ready to board C-GFAF but then things changed and was boarded on C-GHKW.
​​​​

​​​​​​Definitely noticed the smaller cabin with the lack of storage. The menu holder can hold a small laptop and the "storage" where the power outlets are can hold small items like your phone, charger, earbuds, but sleep was decent. Yes the footwell is tighter than the other birds but it was manageable and I got a few hours rest on this red-eye. The downsides I found are the noise of the cabin and the wear and tear of the hard product is starting to show.

Originally Posted by Klove007
Flying YUL-BOG-YUL in March for spring break next year, couldn’t book business as it’s one of the SQ birds scheduled on the route right now, so I am booked in premium economy.

Has AC communicated a plan two upgrade these two birds?
​​​​​​
I'm interested in this as well. After Jun 30th, all the birds that fly the BOG route will be the 2 class birds. I'm not sure how logistics work as there's a limited amount of 2 class birds able to supplement the route in the event of an IRROPS? Can anyone chime in on how that would work if indeed there's a last minute plane swap and they get swapped with one with a J class.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 22, 2023 at 3:03 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old May 8, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Klove007
.Has AC communicated a plan two upgrade these two birds?
They will reconfigure when time and supply chains allow as there's no intention to keep this config long term. It's more important for them to have the planes in the air "now" though.
Old May 21, 2023, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
In the YVR transborder MLL and I see fin 931 come in to land and go right to the air Canada hangar. Did this bird just come in from SIN with the updated interior or it's too soon? I was just on this last month!
Old May 21, 2023, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
In the YVR transborder MLL and I see fin 931 come in to land and go right to the air Canada hangar. Did this bird just come in from SIN with the updated interior or it's too soon? I was just on this last month!
Looks like it came from YUL. Supposed to go to YYZ next but 186 is cancelled. Maintenance perhaps?
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-gfaf
Old May 22, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Viporter Priority
I am on FIN931 flying from YYZ to YUL (coming from YVR). Still the very old cabin. Have not flown this one since 2019. Storage is filthy. Cannot wait to see the cabin refurbished but with the summer season coming I don’t expect to get this retrofitted any time soon

Old May 26, 2023, 3:38 pm
awt

That's rough but, end of Life of the cabin should be close. Honestly when I flew in the newer cabins they were quite dirty and worn out as well. Defintiely not holding up to its age.

Last edited by awt; May 26, 2023 at 10:45 pm
Old May 26, 2023, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by awt
That's rough but, end of Life or the cabin should be close. Honestly when I flew in the newer cabins they were quite dirty and worn out as well. Defintiely not holding up to its age.
AC depreciates interiors over about 8 years, which suggests that's roughly their useful life. The XM cabins are around double that, so it's no surprise they're falling apart and look like garbage.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
I've recently been seeing Transcons operating YYZ-YVR that show PY but no 'lie flat seats' when it comes to J...any insight on that? What is the J product then?
Old May 26, 2023, 10:52 pm
awt

Originally Posted by billdokes
I've recently been seeing Transcons operating YYZ-YVR that show PY but no 'lie flat seats' when it comes to J...any insight on that? What is the J product then?
If it's the 2 class product then it'll most likely be the SQ/TAP seats, they're "Angle-lie flats". Not sure if there's enough of those 2 class birds flying to supplement all the routes.

I too am questioning what happens if one of them has a mechanical issue and need to be subbed in with a 3 class 333, how would that work? So far after June 30th, J isn't an option for some routes flying with the 333. Which kind of sucks because the more frequent route I'll fly is to BOG.

Will need to wait for their fall/winter schedule to have a better understanding of how they will allocate their fleet.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by awt
If it's the 2 class product then it'll most likely be the SQ/TAP seats, they're "Angle-lie flats". Not sure if there's enough of those 2 class birds flying to supplement all the routes.

I too am questioning what happens if one of them has a mechanical issue and need to be subbed in with a 3 class 333, how would that work? So far after June 30th, J isn't an option for some routes flying with the 333. Which kind of sucks because the more frequent route I'll fly is to BOG.

Will need to wait for their fall/winter schedule to have a better understanding of how they will allocate their fleet.
I think the hope would be that once the summer season is over that FIN's 931, 946, and 948 go in for refurbishment to the new cabins. I guess it will depend on the demands on the fleet and the availability of seats (which has been a supposed issue). Cancelling LIM for the northern winter season hopefully means one less A330 needed such that the refurbishments can occur. I guess time will tell.
Old May 31, 2023, 5:19 pm

AC 422 YYZ-YUL (May 31) on FIN941. For some strange reason, 941 still shows the old layout in AC app. All tickets were automatically readjusted according to the old layout. The plane is obviously retrofited already to a new layout, so now, during boarding, tickets need to be manually adjusted to a new layout. Already a 1.5h delay. Are bugs like this happening often on 330?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC E75K
I've been monitoring the flight status for AC810 tonight closely to know whether it'll get a last minute swap to fin 931 (C-GFAF). So far, so good, but 'm struck by how often the assigned aircraft has changed in the last ~24-48 hours. I recall seeing 941, 932, 936, and now 935 assigned. Is this normal? Pretty interesting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.