Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Airbus A330-300 (333) seating questions

Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
A330-300 Fleet Overview

AC currently has three two configurations of 333:
  • Dream Cabin (16 aircraft): new configuration more in line with the product on AC's 787 and 777 fleets (seat map)
  • XM: AC's old configuration dating from the mid-2000s, which is being phased out (seat map)
  • SQ (2 aircraft): Singapore Airlines configuration, which is being phased out (seat map)
    • Important note: the front cabin on these aircraft is an angle-flat product in a 2-2-2 layout that was SQ's "regional" business class. On flights within North America, AC sells it as J; on international flights, they sell it as PY. These aircraft do not have a normal PY cabin
    • As of October 2023, these aircraft appear to be mostly used on YYZ/YUL-BOG, YUL-ALG, and domestic/TB TCONs (e.g. YUL-YVR/LAX)

The aircraft are gradually being refurbished to the Dream Cabin standard. Please see the refurbishment thread for further details of that program.

Seats to Avoid
Seat 1A, Bins above used by Emergency EquipmentSeat 8A/8K, Missing Windows + Oxygen Tank in Bin above Seat

Links to Posts with Photos of Dream Cabin Seats - please link to post if you add to this list
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 28, 2020, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*

One thing I've noticed from seat 1k on 942 is that there is no stowage under the footrest/ottoman. Other than that it seems it have a lot of legroom, at my height of 5'9 I can't reach the footrest when the seat is upright. As for wifi, nothing yet, maybe after takeoff.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
One thing I've noticed from seat 1k on 942 is that there is no stowage under the footrest/ottoman.
Well that sucks, where are you supposed to store your shoes then? They can easily be (accidentally) kicked into the aisle if placed between the seat and aisle...
Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I know there's at least one video posted upthread, but does any FTer have pics that they could post here?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by philelite
FYI, I've been schedule to fly on new dream cabin config of A330 for Oct 29 YVR-YYZ for last 3 days it's shown FIN 934, but the seat map only switched over to the new one at T-5 hours to flight. (I get it, it's because they don't want to swop back and forth in case they end up using different aircraft... but this might be valuable info for people who want the 2 middle J seats, as I did)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I know there's at least one video posted upthread, but does any FTer have pics that they could post here?

yyznomad, Ask and you shall receive
Hope you like my photos

Seat Map swapped to the New Cabin about T-4 from the flight, that was despite the metal pre-assigned about T-48

Caught FIN 934 this afternoon on AC 305 YUL-YVR, so glad to move from last night's AC 311 which was operated by a 321.
Granted doing a flight change with Lifey Wifey in I Class, Think of Removing a Spleen painful

Seats To Avoid
1A, Bins above used by Emergency Equipment
8A/8K, Missing Windows, you get 1/3 of a window which is blocked by the IFE System.
And on top of that, Oxygen Tanks occupied the Bins above the said seat.

Wifi - Worked
Air Nozzle above Seat - No

Special Note, for those that listen to Stingray Music on the flight, you can't drag the music like the 777/787 system.
At least I haven't figured out

Extra Note - 9A/9K was assigned prior to the seat map swap, they were bumped to 3A/4A.
One might not be so lucky if there were no window seats left!

5 Hrs 27 Mins flight time on the Transcon

This might convince me to make an effort to write a New TR, which has been forever

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Nov 5, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:54 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Thanks for this.

I always used to like the pre-Dream Cabin seat 9A for privacy.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Thanks for this.

I always used to like the pre-Dream Cabin seat 9A for privacy.
Your welcome Bohemian1, I'm honestly shocked I was the first to post photos for this plane.
My flights on AC are so rare
Would've LOL at folks if they said I would do 1.5 RT of AC Transpod if they say this to me Pre-Virus.

I'll load a Seat 8K photo when on the ground, Gogo isn't very Go-Go (Now Loaded)

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Nov 5, 2020 at 9:44 pm Reason: Seat Photo Uploaded
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Short hair Francis, thanks for posting the pics. How did you manage to get the J cabin so empty, did you ask the GAs to let you board early so you could take photos?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Short hair Francis, thanks for posting the pics. How did you manage to get the J cabin so empty, did you ask the GAs to let you board early so you could take photos?
Adam Smith, guilty as charged, La Premiere Gate Lice here for wanting great Cabin Photos!!!
That and wanting to be on early to wipe down the Pods
The 2nd Photo in that Main Photo post was taken during deboarding, hence why you see the mattress cover on some of the seats.

As for why I had that much time to take the photos?
Honestly couldn't answer that question, that people behind me must have been slow>
I'm guessing now that everyone need to take those extra few secs to remove a mask during bp scan must've helped

That and the flight wasn't full today, Load was 20/32 in J, 8/24 in W, and 138/241 in Y.
Seat Map was 9 occupied at T-3 and 13 Occupied at T-1, so the last 7 must've likely been Eups or Non-Revs.

But Hey, that's still better than a Total of 17 pax I had on CX YVR-HKG couple months ago!
That's Doggie Bag of Money on Fire Status

Or lastly was leaving from YUL Gate 51, 2 Jetbridge so maybe the folks behind me was boarding from 2L?

Based on my camera's timestamp. I got off a total of 19 photos in 1:50 right at boarding for the Cabin Photos

I should just leave this post and YYZNomad will link it to the Wikipost right?

Another Thing to note, FIN 933 is in YUL with engines covered

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Nov 6, 2020 at 12:47 am
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Is it true that the J seats on the A333 are a smaller version of the ones on the 777 and 789 in terms of spaciousness and seat width?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Is it true that the J seats on the A333 are a smaller version of the ones on the 777 and 789 in terms of spaciousness and seat width?
See some of the comments upthread.

They are narrower (related to cabin width), have a shoulder belt instead of an airbag, repositioned literature pocket, and a slightly different storage layout.

They are still pretty comfortable (I am generally a fan of the seat), but I would argue the 777 seat is the most comfortable due it's greater width and different angle (again related to cabin width).
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
See some of the comments upthread.

They are narrower (related to cabin width), have a shoulder belt instead of an airbag, repositioned literature pocket, and a slightly different storage layout.

They are still pretty comfortable (I am generally a fan of the seat), but I would argue the 777 seat is the most comfortable due it's greater width and different angle (again related to cabin width).
The 777 J seats are wider but more crunched up so the exit space to get in/out of the pod is narrower.
The 788/789 J seats are narrower but have more exit space to get in/out.

So are they even more narrow than the 788/789 seats?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So are they even more narrow than the 788/789 seats?
Yes.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes.
I might like that... hopefully the exit space is also slightly larger...
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat

As good as any place to ask, mod please move if needed.

Two adults and 2 children, almost 4 and 8 in J on a 333, Layout 1 (4 abreast).

it was a bit challenging to select seats, as an adult needs to be adjacent to a child. First go I did all on 1 row, 5 ADGK. Figured the littlest one and one of the adults can be in D&G and with the partition slid open we can assist and keep.an eye on her. How realistic is that actually, can one actually reach over?

Then I wanted to maximize window placement so I played around and the system let me select 6G and 5K, 6K and 7K across the isle. With the seats at an angle to provide as much privacy as possible, would that make tending to a small child difficult?

Any other considerations, especially from the perspective of fellow passengers and flight crew?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
As good as any place to ask, mod please move if needed.

Two adults and 2 children, almost 4 and 8 in J on a 333, Layout 1 (4 abreast).

it was a bit challenging to select seats, as an adult needs to be adjacent to a child. First go I did all on 1 row, 5 ADGK. Figured the littlest one and one of the adults can be in D&G and with the partition slid open we can assist and keep.an eye on her. How realistic is that actually, can one actually reach over?

Then I wanted to maximize window placement so I played around and the system let me select 6G and 5K, 6K and 7K across the isle. With the seats at an angle to provide as much privacy as possible, would that make tending to a small child difficult?

Any other considerations, especially from the perspective of fellow passengers and flight crew?
Since this configuration isn't AC specific, I'll answer with my experience on Super Diamond layout. When travelling with children, we always have at least one adult in the middle, the child in the other middle and the other adult in the windows. Kid basically in between. The two middle seats are too far apart that it's actually more annoying leaning in to talk to someone rather than just looking across the aisle, but you get both options this way. Since you have two kids, what you're suggesting sounds like a viable option too. Have an adult sit in between the kids in the window so you can monitor front and behind, and from across the aisle. The seats are all very private so it's not really ideal for group travel compared to the regular 2-2-2 diamond J seats. But your kids are old enough so there won't be any issues most likely. Good luck.

and also...

Holy crap... New 333 config is so nice all around. I hunted around to specifically book this aircraft before going back to PHX, as it's the only config on AC fleet (besides Jetz) that I haven't flown yet. J looks similar as Boeing but with the updated CA Super Diamond seats. One may not be able to tell if they aren't a frequent flier because of the similar colours. SO clean, so nice. I was on the old 333 J right before, and it's clear why they are replacing them. Things are really showing age and falling apart. I still do prefer the lie flat and sleeping position of the old 333 J though. Haven't been unlucky with deflated seat, but old 333 always had better cushion. Not sure why. Super nice deal for J too, $850 well spent. Nothing to complain about at all. Food consistency and quality on AC is probably best in North America right now. Nice to not stare at a wall or some feet. Screen noticeably more HD than 777/787. I'm not sure if it's bigger though, it seems smaller. 10/10 recommend, no reason to dodge A330 on AC now if you can get the new config. I might write a detailed report later, as I was so impressed.

Last edited by SKYEG; Oct 15, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.