Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
With the image of an Air Canada damaged aircraft, if not mistaken the Halifax incident....

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0...illed-him.html

This is pretty disingenuous, but coming from Fox news, nothing surprises anymore...
That's. Remarkable.

Old May 31, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
That's. Remarkable.

They probably just have one AC photo from that past article and used it...
Old May 31, 2016, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by montezume
They probably just have one AC photo from that past article and used it...
Or to cheap to buy a picture online. But again it's FOX, only news outlet that makes CBC look good.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by 172pilot
Not mentioned in the article: Passenger too cheap to buy preferred seat. Now has pain in rear end from sitting on wallet filled with money.
Or, most passengers don't realize the health hazard of flying. Regulators please step in. This is not just AC I'm sure.

Mitigation:

Smoking could hurt your baby. Here are some stupid pictures.

Flying could hurt your butt. Here are some stupid pictures.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
Guess it's preaching to the choir here. But I've been telling friends all the time. Vote with your wallet. I never fly AirTran because of my experience. I never fly AC 787 Y class based on experience. We don't need regulations for everything. ppl just don't check what they buy
Old May 31, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by anotheran2
Guess it's preaching to the choir here. But I've been telling friends all the time. Vote with your wallet. I never fly AirTran because of my experience. I never fly AC 787 Y class based on experience. We don't need regulations for everything. ppl just don't check what they buy
But someone who flies every 5 years to visit grandma is going to base their experience on that. If the product has changed, then adequate consumer notice is required based on the typical frequency of consumption.

Anyone posting in this forum is NOT eligible to claim they can relate to this, including me. Thus, err on the side of caution...
Old May 31, 2016, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
But there is already government regulation. This is achieved by the egress time restrictions in an emergency.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by anotheran2
Vote with your wallet. I never fly AirTran because of my experience.
Also because they don't exist anymore.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:51 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
I'm not sure what meaningful difference 1" in leg-room would make when talking about DVT. It's a good thing he wasn't an ULH route. This is when it becomes painfully obvious that media outlets are looking for a story to publish vs doing their work to get a full picture. Of course AC didn't help themselves with the response. I would have responded that they don't comment on individual cases and they offer a product common in the industry. For their part, CBC should have made this story about possible complications from cramming cabins in the industry and how common LH / ULH flights have become. Irresponsible story all the way around and this guy gets his 15 mins of fame.
or maybe these "journalists" can investigate the vast amounts of government waste, corruption, and ineptitude instead of validating poindexters that want more government regulation and a "national seat standard"

yknow, real news

no wonder foreign news agencies like gawker do a better job reporting on said waste corruption and ineptitude
Old May 31, 2016, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Just thinking out loud. What would happen if the government regulated seat space on all Dom/International fight in Canada as some people want on FT.

1) What would WestJet do? They would need a new business model.
2) Would all foreign airline adjust their aircraft flying into Canada or just decide not to fly into Canada at all?
3) What would be the price increase on air fares? Will people still travel as much with higher prices?
4) Would these pax wanting larger seats now drive to US to fly because the flights are a lot cheaper with the smaller seats? (cheap seats are king over comfort)
5) Would AC sell off aircraft? Less choices/direct flights.
6) Canadian Charter Airline Close? No more cheap Mex holidays.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Just thinking out loud. What would happen if the government regulated seat space on all Dom/International fight in Canada as some people want on FT.

3) What would be the price increase on air fares? Will people still travel as much with higher prices?
4) Would these pax wanting larger seats now drive to US to fly because the flights are a lot cheaper with the smaller seats? (cheap seats are king over comfort)
Yes, prices would go up. Then the government would be forced to legislate pricing, and then the cost of serving the sale would be lower than the price.

Then the organization would go bankrupt.

That's what I don't get about some people's views on this thread. You can't have your own cake and eat it too.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:28 pm

I wrote to the author of the article (Rosa) this morning and she quickly responded. While I didn't like her answer, she defended her article vigorously.

She must be new to bother answering an email from a peon like me.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I was contacted by her looking for expert input on a completely unrelated topic. She had the most ridiculous "scoop" and was immediately looking for confirmatory evidence and an expert to dramatize the shocking tale (same formula as this). I showed her several inconsistencies in the account. If she had asked the most basic skeptical questions, she would have noticed the same things. After a passage of time, she dropped the story, but I did get a sense that she wanted it to be true.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I was contacted by her looking for expert input on a completely unrelated topic. She had the most ridiculous "scoop" and was immediately looking for confirmatory evidence and an expert to dramatize the shocking tale (same formula as this). I showed her several inconsistencies in the account. If she had asked the most basic skeptical questions, she would have noticed the same things. After a passage of time, she dropped the story, but I did get a sense that she wanted it to be true.
Funny. When she got back to me, justifying her story to me, I responded with the 3 questions that she should have asked the guy with the complaints. I told her that any author worth a damn would have asked those questions and that by not asking those questions she hadn't given us a story, but rather just another story looking to sensationalize a story that wasn't really there.

She hasn't responded.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
We have regulations for animal cages on factory farms, and there are regulations for the space allocated for animals being transported to slaughterhouses. Surely, we can have some minimum standards for public health purposes for airline pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.