Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But when you ask a passenger if they'd take one inch less to save $10, they probably would most of the time.

I consider this like the sale of cigarettes. Why is it that selling a 17" seat is unsafe, but selling a pack of cigarettes is perfectly legal, with the only restriction being an age of 18 or 19?

The science behind cigarette health is sound. I haven't seen any conclusive evidence about airplane seats.
That is a good point. As long as AC is making great profit, the Canadian government is incentivized, from a tax standpoint, to not step in.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:02 pm

Can we stop with the "you can pay more for preferred seats" talk?
A seat, regardless of how cheap it is, should not pose health risks, and one should not have to pay more to literally survive a flight.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by agjil
A seat, regardless of how cheap it is, should not pose health risks, and one should not have to pay more to literally survive a flight.
Do they pose as a health risk?
Old May 30, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
A little melodramatic isn't it?

How many tens of thousands of people fly every day of the year in economy and manage to "survive"?

Driving in a car poses health risks also.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Do they pose as a health risk?
Did you read the article?
Old May 30, 2016, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by montezume
Did you read the article?
Yes, and you can find a DR/expert to say anything these days. I would say there is a great health risk for pax just driving to the airport. Millions of people fly Y without problems, so if there is a health risk, it is very low.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Yes, and you can find a DR/expert to say anything these days.
Hopefully this guy and his lawyers find some good experts and take AC for a ride in a frivolous lawsuit with a nice settlement

In this country, we can only dispense justice vs greedy corporations one settlement at a time
Old May 30, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Or just don't use terms that suggest "tons of extra money", when the reality is it's a small surcharge.
Small surcharge? I just did a dummy booking YVR-EZE on a 77W for a two-week trip next January. I tried a number of date combinations to ensure I was seeing a realistic fare. The smallest difference I could find between a Tango and PY fare was more than $1500 and purchasers are still sitting in Y on the domestic legs. I can certainly see why most people don't or can't pay for the increased seat pitch.

We have no idea how far in advance the guy in the article bought his fare, how much he paid or what his options were in terms of cost per seating class. But many people do not see the value in paying $75/hr for 6 additional inches of legroom.

Please don't try to dismiss the upgrade from Y to PY as merely anteing up a 'small surcharge'. That's rarely the case at all.

Addendum: just checked out the new YVR-BNE service. The return fare in economy is less than a single direction in PY. Same for Heathrow: the 'small surcharge' for a PY seat vs a back-of-the-bus seat is more than double. Admittedly, my selections are highly unscientific in nature, but that's fitting for a guy like me who doesn't grasp the concept of exponential growth.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; May 30, 2016 at 1:12 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Millions of people fly Y without problems, so if there is a health risk, it is very low.
Perhaps the better question is, when Y seats get down to 27" x 16" - and let's not pretend that's not happening eventually - what percentage of passengers have to be injured, and to what extent, before it does become a matter for airline regulators?
Old May 30, 2016, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Hopefully this guy and his lawyers find some good experts and take AC for a ride in a frivolous lawsuit with a nice settlement

In this country, we can only dispense justice vs greedy corporations one settlement at a time
He better have a really great lawyer, because he will not be taking on AC, but every airline in the world.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Perhaps the better question is, when Y seats get down to 27" x 16" - and let's not pretend that's not happening eventually - what percentage of passengers have to be injured, and to what extent, before it does become a matter for airline regulators?
That's a good question. But you can say that about anything in life.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
After a great work out, I went to my favorite Tim's for a nice hot double/double, cracked open my tablet to read the news and I read the story and said OMFG, really.

I guess as a F/F we know better, but really. I have short legs because AC has smaller pitch, I should sue for that. After over 50 years of flying on Air Canada aircraft my legs are short because of these barbaric, inhuman, and unsafe seats, lol

My motivation for working out, loosing weight and getting healthy is so my butt can fit in Y seats when I no longer have status !!!! NOW that is taking charge and managing expectations!
Old May 30, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
That's a good question. But you can say that about anything in life.
Sure, but seeing as we're all here to discuss the airline industry, I thought I'd save my rants about tax policy for another venue.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
My motivation for working out, loosing weight and getting healthy is so my butt can fit in Y seats when I no longer have status !!!! NOW that is taking charge and managing expectations!
Very well put.

Own your shi* (ownership) = what my junior school teacher taught me.

* = p.

Seriously. Society is getting more and more obese and airlines are equipping their aircraft with smaller and smaller seats in Y.

So either pay up, or exercise
Old May 30, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Society is getting more and more obese and airlines are equipping their aircraft with smaller and smaller seats in Y.

So either pay up, or exercise
That's not even remotely funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.