Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Well, if you are not sayong the 28% of of people who are in agreement with the cramped config account for 80% of the revenue, what is the point of using that as an illustration? This is called a distraction defence and judges don't like it. Amongst educators, it is called, dumping, where people who don't have the answer provide information that has no relevance in an attempt to show that they have an answer.

If you want to discuss, revenue, please bring on the numbers and we can go from there. I welcome your financial analysis.
It appears I misread what the 28% represented, so nothing else I can say would support the point I was trying to make.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Could not agree more. Making short haul is fine, problem comes when its a 14 hour TPAC.

I Would argue spending 2 hours in them standing seats is still better than 14 hours in AC's Y.
So, let's do some math. If the cheapest 4 hour flight say is $350 (yyc - YYZ), would you think $1400 if a fair price for a 15 hour flight? The problem with HD, they are designed for longer flights. Don't get me wrong, I don't like these smaller seats, but I do understand why they are around and more people are flying because of them.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
So, let's do some math. If the cheapest 4 hour flight say is $350 (yyc - YYZ), would you think $1400 if a fair price for a 15 hour flight? The problem with HD, they are designed for longer flights. Don't get me wrong, I don't like these smaller seats, but I do understand why they are around and more people are flying because of them.
1. False premise - you think that 350$ for a 4 hour flight is a fair price. It's not - its price has a hefty monopoly markup. For reference, see fair prices on LAX-JFK routes. Often going for 200-250$. Also, where did you even see 350$ ticket between YYZ and YYC?
2. No I would not think 1400 is a fair price for 15 hour flight assuming that 350 is a fair price for 4 hours. There is of course a correlation between the flight being longer and price being higher, but it's non linear. You can't just say 15 hours is (almost) 4 hours longer and therefore fair price is 350*4.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by cwwmbm
1. False premise - you think that 350$ for a 4 hour flight is a fair price. It's not - its price has a hefty monopoly markup. For reference, see fair prices on LAX-JFK routes. Often going for 200-250$. Also, where did you even see 350$ ticket between YYZ and YYC?
2. No I would not think 1400 is a fair price for 15 hour flight assuming that 350 is a fair price for 4 hours. There is of course a correlation between the flight being longer and price being higher, but it's non linear. You can't just say 15 hours is (almost) 4 hours longer and therefore fair price is 350*4.
We have a heft monopoly on Dom air travel? News to me. So, Westjet or AC or any new airline could not add flights without government approval? What we do have is a over priced airport system.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
We have a heft monopoly on Dom air travel? News to me. So, Westjet or AC or any new airline could not add flights without government approval? What we do have is a over priced airport system.
I think Canada has both an overpriced airport system and a relative lack of competition, in addition to higher operating costs. A flight like JFK-LAX is cheap in part because of the number of airlines that fly it or a similar route (EWR) - you have JetBlue and Virgin in addition to the Big 3. Granted, US$200 RT fares aren't always available, and often not close available close-in.

By contrast of course, YYC-YYZ is a duopoly between WS and AC. And this is one route where Skiplagged really shows the effect of competition on prices... YYC-YYZ-IAH is often much cheaper than YYC-YYZ.

Originally Posted by cwwmbm
I'm no expert on airline economics but I'd guess that cost per mile is roughly a U-shaped curve... it drops as flight distance increases to a certain point, after which the enormous weight of the fuel that has to be carried becomes overwhelming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.