Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
Then why not get rid of them altogether on the Airbus aircraft and improve legroom across the board, instead of giving them away as freebies to SEs and anyone who bought a tango fare ticket and showed up at the airport without selecting a seat?
Because then fares would go up by $X, which means passengers will now to to another airline that has slimmer seats but prices lower by $X.

http://flightdiary.net/chineseman/2016

I fly EXCLUSIVELY cheapest Economy, no upgrades to seats. I get what I pay form and I know what I'm paying for

Did you know that with great shoes, you will reduce your chances of injury by X%? Why doesn't everyone buy the healthiest shoes for $2000/pair? Because some people trade that risk of injury (albeit small) for lower cost. The same applies to seating. If people VALUED not getting DVT above all else, they would either not fly or buy a private jet to fly (extreme example).
The fact that they fly, and fly economy, means that the risk of DVT from a small seat isn't worth that extra $ for more room.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts
This whole argument is absolutely silly.

One last item....I am 6'1 and 220 pounds....I am 43 years old and not in great shape. In the last 18 months I have flown 140 legs, 100 in economy (before I had status), and I dealt with it.....and easily. You get into your damn seat, you occupy your mind with something other than the tight squeeze and you go about your day.
You're 6'1... I'm 6'3. 2 inches make a huge difference. Also, people have different leg lengths.

I don't mind paying for preferred seats. But just make them available on all aircraft! Not just the A319/A320/A321s...
Old May 30, 2016, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow

In the context of a 777, maybe a few rows of 3-3-3 Y with 35 inch pitch, sold as a surcharge such that it is exactly (35/31) * (10/9) = 1.26x the regular fare (i.e. you buy a Y fare, and get charged an additional 26% for the seat)? Same Y service, and you're literally paying for the extra space, and nothing more?
Well, that would defeat the purpose of PY in HD. The idea was to force enough people in Y to pay significantly more for PY. I had pointed out AA's model should have been followed if AC is not so greedy.
I would have paid Tango+26%... sure.. That is relatively reasonable and something non-E50+ members would like.

Oh wait,did I say its "relative reasonable" and "Non-E50K+ members would like"?
Cows will fly before AC does something good for its Y customers.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; May 30, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie
You're 6'1... I'm 6'3. 2 inches make a huge difference. Also, people have different leg lengths.

I don't mind paying for preferred seats. But just make them available on all aircraft! Not just the A319/A320/A321s...
I get you, and my example really was directed at the guys that are smaller and still complaining. Again, sometimes it sucks for certain people, but if you NEED the room, pay for it or deal with it. Sorry.

And two inches doesn't make that big a difference.

At least that's what I have been telling my wife since we met.

D2D
Old May 31, 2016, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
Because then fares would go up by $X, which means passengers will now to to another airline that has slimmer seats but prices lower by $X.

http://flightdiary.net/chineseman/2016

I fly EXCLUSIVELY cheapest Economy, no upgrades to seats. I get what I pay form and I know what I'm paying for

Did you know that with great shoes, you will reduce your chances of injury by X%? Why doesn't everyone buy the healthiest shoes for $2000/pair? Because some people trade that risk of injury (albeit small) for lower cost. The same applies to seating. If people VALUED not getting DVT above all else, they would either not fly or buy a private jet to fly (extreme example).
The fact that they fly, and fly economy, means that the risk of DVT from a small seat isn't worth that extra $ for more room.
Will it cost $X more? That's predicated on the assumption that people are paying more for preferred seats. The general consensus here is that people don't pay more for preferred seats.

Stands to reason then that a plane with 100 cramped and 20 preferred seats will generate the same revenue as a plane with 120 seats with identical legroom across the board.

As for health risks and shoe soles, there are a great many things that people were "willing" to live without till the government regulated them into place.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I am going to make a prediction here: Superior Y product is going to win long term.
I hope your prediction comes true.

Heck, even McDonalds's is trying to up their game from bottom of the pecking order.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by mapleg
I hope your prediction comes true.

Heck, even McDonalds's is trying to up their game from bottom of the pecking order.
Let's not compare Mc.D to AC. That would an insult to Mc.D. I actually like their breakfast wrap.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; May 31, 2016 at 7:04 am
Old May 31, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Except people aren't all the same height/width, which means they don't need the "same bread".

So it's actually quite a poor analogy.
We're not talking about "one bread fits all"... we're talking about the assumption that the bread you buy is not hazardous to your health and extrapolating that the airline seat you buy should likewise not be hazardous to your health.

It's indeed a great example, as others have pointed out.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Must have been that horrible wrap they served him onboard. I don't blame him, I am 5'5" and I am not overweight or underweight, Im a light weight @ 155lbs. I was not comfortable in that seat from LHR to YYZ on that plane. It was just horrible discomfort.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
I admit I didn't read the whole thread but this article is really one of the most stupid pieces I have read in some time. I especially find the part where the flier is presented as some sort of Captain America human specimen with "impeccable health" whose only health issue, ever, appears to have come from sitting in an AC plane for 10 hours... Yea I'm certain his age had nothing to do with it!

The writer for this story should seriously get a life along with this pax.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Here is the writer's email if you would like to share your opinion on her article:

[email protected]
Old May 31, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by payam81
Here is the writer's email if you would like to share your opinion on her article:

[email protected]
I'm pretty sure that's what the comments section is for... I don't think spamming her inbox is a particularly good idea.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by yulred
Will it cost $X more? That's predicated on the assumption that people are paying more for preferred seats. The general consensus here is that people don't pay more for preferred seats.

Stands to reason then that a plane with 100 cramped and 20 preferred seats will generate the same revenue as a plane with 120 seats with identical legroom across the board.
I'm not so sure the above assumption is valid. It's well known I abandoned Aeroplan status a couple years ago, yet still need to fly AC (or WS) to commute to work a couple times per month. I just checked into tomorrow's flight 234 a couple minutes ago - and with zero AC status, was offered one of sixteen available preferred seats at no charge. No extra revenue from this bum - and why would I pay extra for an 80-minute flight? So I agree, it does stand to reason your last sentence is often accurate.

Proudly Zone 5, and with my lunch money still in pocket.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
We're not talking about "one bread fits all"... we're talking about the assumption that the bread you buy is not hazardous to your health and extrapolating that the airline seat you buy should likewise not be hazardous to your health.

It's indeed a great example, as others have pointed out.
Assuming the seat is hazardous at all (which, as far as I'm aware, has not been proven), it's only hazardous to people above a certain size.

I think a better analogy would be how can anyone sell non-gluten-free bread, since that is hazardous to the health of certain people.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:12 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
And now on Fox news...

With the image of an Air Canada damaged aircraft, if not mistaken the Halifax incident....

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0...illed-him.html

This is pretty disingenuous, but coming from Fox news, nothing surprises me anymore...

Last edited by jsfrSE; May 31, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.