Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by montezume
For the sake of argument, let's say my name is Joseph Smith. I have three kids, and I was lucky enough to find a decent paying job. I spent a few months looking for that job, and it wasn't easy. This job requires travel, and like you Mr. SAP, my employer only pays for lowest Y. I can't afford to "pony up" and pay out of pocket to upgrade to a more comfortable seat. I don't have the extra income. For me, it's Y or quit and try to find another job, which make make me and my children homeless.

Should I suffer health consequences as a result of working this job? Do I deserve to live in pain because I didn't get a STEM / business degree (like the reddit-like comments here suggest...)? I guess it sucks to be me.
Plenty people suffer consequences due to nature of their job. Soldiers/First responders often suffer from PTSD. Do they deserve it? No, but it is a choice to go in that line of work.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by payam81
Plenty people suffer consequences due to nature of their job. Soldiers/First responders often suffer from PTSD. Do they deserve it? No, but it is a choice to go in that line of work.
With this attitude, then we should remove minimum wage and all workplace safety regulations. In fact, aircraft maintenance regulation should be scrapped - airlines with higher crash rates will suffer from less bookings and the market will reward those with better safety rates.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
With this attitude, then we should remove minimum wage and all workplace safety regulations. In fact, aircraft maintenance regulation should be scrapped - airlines with higher crash rates will suffer from less bookings and the market will reward those with better safety rates.
payam81 is completely right. Every job has its downsides. Office workers suffer from shoulder and back pain. Construction workers suffer from the same. Emergency services workers suffer from back pain, shoulder pain and PTSD. (and other things, but you get the point)

Every job has its negative repercussions. No one deserves a good job. Want the job of your dreams, work for it.

So going back to the subject matter at hand, if one doesn't like their employers' policy of putting them in Y? Don't work for them or find a different job.

Air Canada does not owe you a comfortable seat.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, you shouldn't sue your employer. The airline should provide a base product that is adequate for the flight. That's all I'm saying. Hell, I would like to see the evacuation time of these HD jets 8 hours into a flight...
You guys are missing a key point: the airlines are providing a product that may be unsafe because that's what the flying public wants. By and large, tango flyers only care about one thing, price. If the airlines treat them too well, obviously they must have overpaid.

With most of us here belonging in a small minority with different views.

Of course a reasonable employer should have recognized that sardine can class is becoming a health issue. But it sure is convenient to look the other way.

One could argue that it's time for the government to step in. But alas that won't work either as long as some governments don't so that there remain sardine can options, for instance flying through the US.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
You guys are missing a key point: the airlines are providing a product that may be unsafe because that's what the flying public wants. By and large, tango flyers only care about one thing, price. If the airlines treat them too well, obviously they must have overpaid.
I'm sure other industries would love to be able to act in this same manner. I should start a restaurant and save on costs by using expired food and not cleaning the kitchen, because consumers always want lower prices. At some point, the government needs to step in and implement regulations. Unfortunately, this won't happen in Canada. What's likely to happen is that the US will implement regulations, and Canadian airlines will have to follow.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
No, this is not about safety, but entitlement.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'm sure other industries would love to be able to act in this same manner. I should start a restaurant and save on costs by using expired food and not cleaning the kitchen, because consumers always want lower prices. At some point, the government needs to step in and implement regulations. Unfortunately, this won't happen in Canada. What's likely to happen is that the US will implement regulations, and Canadian airlines will have to follow.
That is what restaurants do. That's what grocery chains do.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/loblaw...ring-1.3306395

Governments can try and step in, but if the consumer wants something for dirt cheap, this is the result.

So I'm using your analogy. The Loblaws of the world [expletive] around with their food. AC's Y seat is the result of what the consumer is willing to pay.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
You are missing the point completely. Entitlement is not safety. Basically you are saying that the government should regulate car seats, because leather seat are more comfortable than your vinyl seat and some "expert" has said the discomfort is bad for your health. There was a option, but why pay for it, when the government should make the company give it to me for free.

As I said at the start, this thread is based on entitlement, because most of the people wanting larger seat, will not pay the extra price, drive to the US for cheaper tickets and fly on the smaller seat they dislike. Them write into FT or CBC that we can't fly out of CDN because the fares are to high.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:13 am

I'm going to go with "let the market decide" on this one. People want cheap fares, airlines need to make money, something has to give. I'm against government intervention that would force airlines to change how they design their product, or however you want to call it.

But I'm also in the "let the market decide" camp in terms of restrictions on carriers operating in the country. Let the ME3 have more access. Alas, their Y products are equally terrible (I believe...actually did a short haul on EK Y and it was painful). But eventually more competition will lead to some players trying to gain an edge...either by making Y more livable, or lowering the price on PY or J products.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
+1

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
No, this is not about safety, but entitlement.
So predictable

You are missing the point completely. Entitlement is not safety. Basically you are saying that the government should regulate car seats, because leather seat are more comfortable than your vinyl seat and some "expert" has said the discomfort is bad for your health. There was a option, but why pay for it, when the government should make the company give it to me for free.

As I said at the start, this thread is based on entitlement, because most of the people wanting larger seat, will not pay the extra price, drive to the US for cheaper tickets and fly on the smaller seat they dislike. Them write into FT or CBC that we can't fly out of CDN because the fares are to high.
No one here is asking for a "comfortable" seat; that's far too subjective because, as canadiancow likes to point out, we're all different. There's no one-seat(bread)-fits-all solution.

Airlines went 10-across to increase revenue, not drop prices. They get to sell more seats versus 9-across. Heck, Air Canada introduced rouge for the same purpose. They generally didn't touch prices on rouged routes. As a matter of fact, their executives came on this very board and explained that rouge was a way for them to reduce costs and justify operating routes which otherwise didn't meet their required level of profitability.

They did it to make more money.

Airlines are making denser planes to make more money.

Customers are angry because the seats are too small. They don't think they're entitled to bigger seats or more comfortable seats; they're pushing back because it's obvious that the airlines are going too far in making planes more dense.

You may never notice this from high atop your J perch, but it's a real problem for the vast majority of the occupants on every. single. one. of your flights.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
I'm simply stating the facts so not sure how you come up with your points based on those facts.

Work safety regulations are pretty effective in dealing with immediate and/or critical dangers but dealing with chronic health concerns is far more diffcult.

For example, it's a fact that human skin can get burnt from boiling water, no matter if the person is big, small, tall or short. In this case it's very easy to regulate work safety rules to prevent injury due to boiling water and all workers will benefit.

But how do you regulate a seat size? Whatever size you end up standardizing, it will end up cocering a segment of population only. Those who fall above or below the deaign refrence would still stay uncomfortable. On the other hand, seats are regulated to whit stand minimum structural strenght requirements that will benefit all travellers.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I'm quite fond of the CBC, but the people behind this story should be fired. Such drivel.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
Because then fares would go up by $X, which means passengers will now to to another airline that has slimmer seats but prices lower by $X.

http://flightdiary.net/chineseman/2016

I fly EXCLUSIVELY cheapest Economy, no upgrades to seats. I get what I pay form and I know what I'm paying for

Did you know that with great shoes, you will reduce your chances of injury by X%? Why doesn't everyone buy the healthiest shoes for $2000/pair? Because some people trade that risk of injury (albeit small) for lower cost. The same applies to seating. If people VALUED not getting DVT above all else, they would either not fly or buy a private jet to fly (extreme example).
The fact that they fly, and fly economy, means that the risk of DVT from a small seat isn't worth that extra $ for more room.
Talking about shoes, I know lots of women that pay more for shoes that are less comfortable, but look 'hot' (they're word not mine).
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:06 pm

Just thinking out loud. What would happen if the government regulated seat space on all Dom/International fight in Canada as some people want on FT.

1) What would WestJet do? They would need a new business model.
2) Would all foreign airline adjust their aircraft flying into Canada or just decide not to fly into Canada at all?
3) What would be the price increase on air fares? Will people still travel as much with higher prices?
4) Would these pax wanting larger seats now drive to US to fly because the flights are a lot cheaper with the smaller seats? (cheap seats are king over comfort)
5) Would AC sell off aircraft? Less choices/direct flights.
6) Canadian Charter Airline Close? No more cheap Mex holidays.
People would drive south of the border and fly via the US in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
People would drive south of the border and fly via the US in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver
So the what, 4,000 people who fly YVR-YYZ each day are going to drive to Bellingham, fly to Buffalo, rent a car and drive to Toronto?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.