Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:56 pm

People think Y seats are cramped?

This is CRAMPED!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...ats-on-planes/
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jubberly
People think Y seats are cramped?

This is CRAMPED!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...ats-on-planes/
Nearly 28% of poll respondents would book that "cramped seat" if it saved them money.

So I guess today's Y seats aren't nearly unappetizing enough otherwise 7/10 pax wouldn't book them even if they saved money
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
Nearly 28% of poll respondents would book that "cramped seat" if it saved them money.

So I guess today's Y seats aren't nearly unappetizing enough otherwise 7/10 pax wouldn't book them even if they saved money
For me, comfort on a 1-2 hour direct flight (Ryanair Dublin -> western Europe) is a completely different ballgame than on a 12 hour long haul flight...
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by montezume
For me, comfort on a 1-2 hour direct flight (Ryanair Dublin -> western Europe) is a completely different ballgame than on a 12 hour long haul flight...
Absolutely ^
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
^^^^

And there you have the challenge for the airlines, summed up perfectly.

This may or may not apply to the twice-a-year flyer, but many FFs may be making the exact same decision: For comfort/food/rest/ etc, they are buying J or PE for those 12+ hour flights, but only buying Y for anything under 5 hours.

Also, some companies may only allow Y for under 8 hours and may allow PE or J for longer flights.

(on one of my recent TATLs, I was not convinced the short hop across the pond was worth the expense of J relative to the flight time. But that's just me)
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:10 am

For people that would want the option of paying 40%,or more, less than the lowest Y class seat on a 12 hour long haul flight...it would open up long haul travel for a family or 4 or more to a great many more folk who currently can't afford it.

Remember,long haul travel is a "luxury" that most of the world's population simply cannot afford.A Y class seat to most in this world is unattainable in their lifetime.

Think and reflect before you complain.

Its almost nauseating to read the petty complaints of people who don't know how to appreciate what they have.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 4, 2016 at 1:03 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:56 pm

I don't travel much, but...

We're going to be in the economy section on the 15+ hour flight from Toronto to Hong Kong. (We're returning from Seoul to Toronto).

We travel internationally maybe once every two years, and the last time we flew Air Canada in 2011, we had good flights and comfortable seats. I did not check out the seats when I purchased our tickets for upcoming travel; I was happy to book with Air Canada. Apparently, the 777-200LR now has 3-4-3 seating in economy, which used to be 3-3-3.

We're average height and there are 3 of us. We have the advantage of having our own economy section of 3 seats so we can move the armrests up. Consequently, the new 17" seats may not be a huge deal to us.

Nevertheless, if the seats are as cramped as many people say, in the future I would look to (1) find another airline with 3-3-3 economy seating for a couple hundred dollars more than a 3-4-3 carrier or, less likely, (2) upgrade to premium economy. In the long run, people like me might shy away from Air Canada and other carriers' super-volume economy sections, which might not help these airlines in the long run, especially on long flights.

If this design were used for flights up to 5 hours, I wouldn't mind. We'll see how I feel after 15 hours.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by TornCalfGuy
We're going to be in the economy section on the 15+ hour flight from Toronto to Hong Kong. (We're returning from Seoul to Toronto).

We travel internationally maybe once every two years, and the last time we flew Air Canada in 2011, we had good flights and comfortable seats. I did not check out the seats when I purchased our tickets for upcoming travel; I was happy to book with Air Canada. Apparently, the 777-200LR now has 3-4-3 seating in economy, which used to be 3-3-3.

We're average height and there are 3 of us. We have the advantage of having our own economy section of 3 seats so we can move the armrests up. Consequently, the new 17" seats may not be a huge deal to us.

Nevertheless, if the seats are as cramped as many people say, in the future I would look to (1) find another airline with 3-3-3 economy seating for a couple hundred dollars more than a 3-4-3 carrier or, less likely, (2) upgrade to premium economy. In the long run, people like me might shy away from Air Canada and other carriers' super-volume economy sections, which might not help these airlines in the long run, especially on long flights.

If this design were used for flights up to 5 hours, I wouldn't mind. We'll see how I feel after 15 hours.
I would agree with you, but airlines are not giving you a choice. Most are/have gone to 10 across on the 777. Boeing now sells the 777 as 10 across.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton

Your conclusion is faulty. In what universe aside from the magical world of duopolies and protectionist policies would a small minority of customers' views dictate to the majority of customers? What of the other 72%? You know, the majority? This is the segment, many people on this thread are saying have the option of more leg room. What AC configuration would meet their needs? If they want to fly somewhere they have to accept whatever the 2 airlines offer, which is basically 1 airline on some routes.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by TornCalfGuy

I've flown Y class on this configuration from YVR-HKG....I'm average height with a pert bottom and the seats are absolutely no issue whatsoever. Sure,its a long flight and it would be nice to be able to lie down flat and have a Japanese-style toilet to use....but I have nothing to complain about. My elderly Mum does the flight 3 times a year and has zero complaints or concerns.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Your conclusion is faulty. In what universe aside from the magical world of duopolies and protectionist policies would a small minority of customers' views dictate to the majority of customers? What of the other 72%? You know, the majority? This is the segment, many people on this thread are saying have the option of more leg room. What AC configuration would meet their needs? If they want to fly somewhere they have to accept whatever the 2 airlines offer, which is basically 1 airline on some routes.
Well if the other 28% results in 80% of the revenue...

I'm not saying it does, but you can't look at how many customers are "annoyed", without looking at actual revenue.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
You missed my attempt at humour.

The comedic point I was trying to make is AC hasn't pushed the envelope enough because people are buying their product. A poll would probably suggest that far less that 28% of pax are unhappy.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
You missed my attempt at humour.

The comedic point I was trying to make is AC hasn't pushed the envelope enough because people are buying their product. A poll would probably suggest that far less that 28% of pax are unhappy.
Probably depends when the poll was administered. A poll given to Y passengers 3 hours into a YYZ - YVR flight might garner different results than one giving to YVR - BNE passengers 11 hours in
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Probably depends when the poll was administered. A poll given to Y passengers 3 hours into a YYZ - YVR flight might garner different results than one giving to YVR - BNE passengers 11 hours in
Could not agree more. Making short haul is fine, problem comes when its a 14 hour TPAC.

I Would argue spending 2 hours in them standing seats is still better than 14 hours in AC's Y.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well if the other 28% results in 80% of the revenue...

I'm not saying it does, but you can't look at how many customers are "annoyed", without looking at actual revenue.
Well, if you are not sayong the 28% of of people who are in agreement with the cramped config account for 80% of the revenue, what is the point of using that as an illustration? This is called a distraction defence and judges don't like it. Amongst educators, it is called, dumping, where people who don't have the answer provide information that has no relevance in an attempt to show that they have an answer.

If you want to discuss, revenue, please bring on the numbers and we can go from there. I welcome your financial analysis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.