Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
If you have general questions about how to earn SQM/SQS/SQD, please see the status qualification thread.

If you have received an incorrect amount of SQx/points, please see the thread on missing/incorrect flight activity.

Calculator for SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points
SQM/SQD Cowculator and its source code

canadiancow's TODO list:
  • SAS Go Light fares
  • Basic economy on any airline other than AC (is it just need a fare basis that ends in GT?)
  • Ineligible codeshares, like EY-marketed, EY-operated, AC-ticketed

Adam Smith's TODO list:
  • Add earning for VA
  • Check earning rates for AC basic economy
Print Wikipost

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Thank you to @flyquiet and @ACflyerDE for contributing to the mileage table in the calculator.

But I weep at the never-ending ways in which some people continue to butcher the Google Sheets version of this tool.

Seriously, why are you people deleting formulae and entire rows? There are only a handful of cells in this sheet that need to be edited to get the results. If the text isn't blue, don't touch it.

Don't delete rows. Don't change the font and colour of the input cells. Don't do random calculations in other cells. There's a whole instructions tab, even.

It's not complicated.

Please remember that Google Sheets saves all changes, so every little dumb thing you do and little breakage you create screws up the functionality for everyone else.

</rant>

Now that that's said, I'd appreciate some feedback from those of you who actually use the sheet. What can I do to make things clearer?

Or would I be better off to kill the Sheets version and just let people download the Excel file? This thread could be used for people to post mileage changes for me to incorporate.

That's really not what I wanted, because I had hoped this would become more of a community-based project, but I'm really not sure that's working out...
May I suggest you lock the sheet and have people fill out a form instead. The results of form would automatically be filled into pre-determined cells and feed into the formulas you have made.
It would involve some formulas and it would keep going, but as long as the form list is searchable should not be too hard. It would require a constant clean house from time to time so that the list wont get too long.

If you give me edit access I can take a crack at it after my exam on Tuesday.

On the other hand, you could also look at building a webapp around it(but would also cost you some $$ to store and access the database). I am not sure if I am good enough to write loops for it yet though.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
On the other hand, you could also look at building a webapp around it(but would also cost you some $$ to store and access the database). I am not sure if I am good enough to write loops for it yet though.
I have one half written. I never got around to it though. After they started counting AQD for all flights on 014 tickets, I lost interest.

I don't think you need any loops for this though
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have one half written. I never got around to it though. After they started counting AQD for all flights on 014 tickets, I lost interest.

I don't think you need any loops for this though
Really?
Well you are def more of an expert than me on this matter.
But I thought we need to standardize the input? As well as calculating based off different status levels and bonus using else...
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:09 pm

Really?
Well you are def more of an expert than me on this matter.
But I thought we need to standardize the input? As well as calculating based off different status levels and bonus using else...
Okay I suppose a loop is necessary because you'll have N segments.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:44 pm

Okay I suppose a loop is necessary because you'll have N segments.
Yeah I think I have to create an empty list to store whatever was fed out of the loop first. The loop will run as long as there is a segment left from the original input.

I may know a way to build this out but have no skills/experiences in actually deploying the web app though.

Utilizing Google forms and link it with Adam's existing sheet will resolve most of his/her pain I think
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Jack, I've thought about locking parts of the sheet and only making a small amount editable. I don't love that it goes against the openness of the project, but the bigger issue is that I don't actually work on this in Sheets, I do everything in Excel and upload it. There are plenty of things that Sheets can't properly use from Excel and I don't know whether the protections will carry over. If anyone has any experience with that, it would be good to know to save me experimenting myself.

As for an app, I'm a finance guy. I have no idea how to write an app, on the web or otherwise. The cow made fun of me early on in this process for how easy an app this would be to write and how I was being silly in doing it in Excel, but he never took me up on my goading to execute the project himself.

If someone with more expertise on that front wants to program something, they're more than welcome.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:31 pm

EDIT: Encountered too much issue in an attempt to migrate over to Google Form. I have instead chosen to update the sheet with locked ranges so the tool should be functional at all times now.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Nov 1, 2017 at 12:24 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:23 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Nov 1, 2017 at 12:23 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:18 am

Okay I am slightly drunk at the moment, but here is a my quick fix with refreshed visuals.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

@Adam Smith, please let me you your thoughts.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:37 am

Just added YYZ-BOS at 445.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:11 pm

Added HND-SYD: 4857
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: mmm yeah babe
Thumbs down Disgusted

Uhm, what happened to the calculator, guys? The current version is not quite what I remembered.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:46 pm

Just added YYZ-BOS at 445.
Did you just update the full version or both?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by MmmYeahBabe
Uhm, what happened to the calculator, guys? The current version is not quite what I remembered.
Do you have any feedback regarding the simplified version?
Dat user name though lawl
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:52 pm

Did you just update the full version or both?
Just full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.