Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
If you have general questions about how to earn SQM/SQS/SQD, please see the status qualification thread.

If you have received an incorrect amount of SQx/points, please see the thread on missing/incorrect flight activity.

Calculator for SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points
SQM/SQD Cowculator and its source code

canadiancow's TODO list:
  • SAS Go Light fares
  • Basic economy on any airline other than AC (is it just need a fare basis that ends in GT?)
  • Ineligible codeshares, like EY-marketed, EY-operated, AC-ticketed

Adam Smith's TODO list:
  • Add earning for VA
  • Check earning rates for AC basic economy
Print Wikipost

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm a man of many talents

I also did a lot of work in creating the spreadsheet, so it seems natural.
Yeah Adam, how dare you create this database for us. How dare you contribute to this forum unlike those who complain about your databases while contributing nothing!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: AC 50K
I for one would like to thank Adam for his meticulous work which allows us who are not well versed in the ff world to have some what of a grasp on what it takes to earn one of those shiny tags
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan (SE100K, 1MM), Executive Club, SkyPass, Accor Live Limitless (Gold)
I join the chorus of thanks to Adam (and his occasional collaborators) for this exceptional tool. As 2018 draws to an end I found myself in the unenviable (or enviable?) position of having flown less than usual during the year due to having been based in Europe for a few months. I had to concoct a SE100K mileage run (my AQD was already way over the top, no trouble there) and with the help of the spreadshhet I determined that dinner in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (YYG) would just do the trick from my home base in Victoria, BC (YYJ) - a jump clear across Canada. The total from the spreadsheet for 3 hops each way was spot on; kudos for the Haversine calculator that divined exactly the missing official mileage YUL-YYG. The only thing that the tool could not predict was the amazing quality of the oysters I enjoyed close to midnight at The Gahan House in Charlottetown, PEI; highly recommended.

Huge thanks again, and a happy new year to everyone!

P.S. If anyone is about to make revisions to the spreadsheet (a single addition to the AQM table hardly seems worth it), YUL-YYG is 513 miles.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:56 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks @robertoYYJ and others for the praise, although I would definitely emphasize the community nature of the project - the group who originally built the mileage table kicked it off, the cow and DrunkCargo built the haversine component, Jack built the simplified online version. It takes a village.

But I'm glad to hear that calculator has been so useful, it's good to know that the efforts are productive.

I'll add the YUL-YYG mileage when I do the next upload. Thanks for that
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't know how much credit I'd take for haversine. DC and I played around with it for a while trying to build something better than a spreadsheet, but that never got anywhere. He made it work in the spreadsheet.

One of these days I may actually build something web-based that can't be defaced through incompetence or malice.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know how much credit I'd take for haversine. DC and I played around with it for a while trying to build something better than a spreadsheet, but that never got anywhere. He made it work in the spreadsheet.
And yet when I credited him, didn't your nose get out of joint since you both worked on it?

One of these days I may actually build something web-based that can't be defaced through incompetence or malice.
If you do, great. If I knew anything about building anything on the Internet, I'd do it myself, but I'm just a simple 20th century finance guy, so Excel is all I know
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
And yet when I credited him, didn't your nose get out of joint since you both worked on it?
Sometimes when you go cow tipping, the cow's butt can get hurt... I'm calling PETA on you. How dare you.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:28 am

Okay I played around with some stuff, extracted the airport data from Jack's spreadsheet, and made a little API for Haversine calculations:

https://api.ft.canadiancow.com/aqd/h...estination=YYZ

It's not too useful on its own, but it's the beginnings of a web app for this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hello All... new to this site... and the collecting miles game and trying to get a better understanding of it.

For different Ticket Codes (l, m, etc.) Does anyone have a chart or a link that shows the Qualifying Miles received for Aeroplan accounts when flying different Star Alliance partners? I like getting the discounted prices but depending on the savings don't want to lose out on the miles as I am going for 100k this year.

Trying to figure it out for a Turkish Airline flight we are currently booking... but the question will continue to come up I am sure.

I believe I saw one on the internet a while back, but not able to find it anywhere!!!

Any help would be appreciated... and Happy Travelling!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by TLtravel
Hello All... new to this site... and the collecting miles game and trying to get a better understanding of it.

For different Ticket Codes (l, m, etc.) Does anyone have a chart or a link that shows the Qualifying Miles received for Aeroplan accounts when flying different Star Alliance partners? I like getting the discounted prices but depending on the savings don't want to lose out on the miles as I am going for 100k this year.

Trying to figure it out for a Turkish Airline flight we are currently booking... but the question will continue to come up I am sure.

I believe I saw one on the internet a while back, but not able to find it anywhere!!!

Any help would be appreciated... and Happy Travelling!
I hope this is what you mean

https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...velPartners_EN
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TLtravel
Hello All... new to this site...
WayTooMuchEurope has answered your question, but welcome to FT!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks! Sometimes the answers are in the most obvious spots =]
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:53 pm

I only received 250 for KIX-HND which is the largest discrepancy I've ever seen from the other calculated distances.

Haversine shows 268, and it posted to UA (different traveler) at 278.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Bizarre. I wonder whether there's a way to write in to somebody about that; it's quite a large discrepancy.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:18 am

Step two of my web app:

https://api.ft.canadiancow.com/aqd/d...estination=HKG

It now returns the stored Aeroplan distance (or -1 if we don't have one), the Haversine distance, and the "distance" field will give you whatever you should use for calculations (i.e. Aeroplan if available).

This uses all the data from the spreadsheet. I don't know if this can be tied in to the spreadsheet, but it would eliminate all the slow calculations in the mileage table.

Next step will be some kind of form like the spreadsheet to actually calculate everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.