FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:00 am
Jumper Jack

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Thank you to @flyquiet and @ACflyerDE for contributing to the mileage table in the calculator.

But I weep at the never-ending ways in which some people continue to butcher the Google Sheets version of this tool.

Seriously, why are you people deleting formulae and entire rows? There are only a handful of cells in this sheet that need to be edited to get the results. If the text isn't blue, don't touch it.

Don't delete rows. Don't change the font and colour of the input cells. Don't do random calculations in other cells. There's a whole instructions tab, even.

It's not complicated.

Please remember that Google Sheets saves all changes, so every little dumb thing you do and little breakage you create screws up the functionality for everyone else.

</rant>

Now that that's said, I'd appreciate some feedback from those of you who actually use the sheet. What can I do to make things clearer?

Or would I be better off to kill the Sheets version and just let people download the Excel file? This thread could be used for people to post mileage changes for me to incorporate.

That's really not what I wanted, because I had hoped this would become more of a community-based project, but I'm really not sure that's working out...
May I suggest you lock the sheet and have people fill out a form instead. The results of form would automatically be filled into pre-determined cells and feed into the formulas you have made.
It would involve some formulas and it would keep going, but as long as the form list is searchable should not be too hard. It would require a constant clean house from time to time so that the list wont get too long.

If you give me edit access I can take a crack at it after my exam on Tuesday.

On the other hand, you could also look at building a webapp around it(but would also cost you some $$ to store and access the database). I am not sure if I am good enough to write loops for it yet though.