Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SFO: AC moved to T2 (May 2022), MLL now open (June 28, 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO: AC moved to T2 (May 2022), MLL now open (June 28, 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by warrens
According to the Prince of Travel review linked above, no.
How is AC able to get past that?
Old Jun 28, 2023, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The SFO MLL is currently using *G access policies. If a UC membership gets you into *G lounges, then you have access. The POT article doesn't say you don't have access. It just doesn't mention it.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 12:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Maybe UA *G access is not as much of an issue as we'd think. Yes, UA has a handful of gates in T2, and there's an airside connector to T3, but the bulk of UA domestic flights are in the F11-F20 gates. It's a bit of a walk from there to the MLL. How many people are really going to do that? Some, I'm sure, but perhaps not enough to crowd the lounge. Not all elites are as clued into the FFP rules as we are on here, and I'm sure there are plenty of UA *Gs who don't realize they might get MLL access or even care to exploit that benefit, if they even realize where the MLL is.

I'm flying UA domestically on Friday, and as much as I'd like to check out the new lounge, I'm guessing my SFO-ORD flight is going to be in the far F gates. I'm not sure if even I'm willing to budget time to make a lounge visit.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 1:15 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by char777
Maybe UA *G access is not as much of an issue as we'd think. Yes, UA has a handful of gates in T2, and there's an airside connector to T3, but the bulk of UA domestic flights are in the F11-F20 gates. It's a bit of a walk from there to the MLL.
Should be, what, 4 minute walk from the United Club to the MLL? I can see G's making that choice easily enough, or even going through TSA at T2 initially.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrens
Should be, what, a 4-minute walk from the United Club to the MLL? I can see G's making that choice easily enough, or even going through TSA at T2 initially.
A 4-minute walk from the F11-F20 gates?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Of people who have lounge access, my assumption is that 90% of them assume they only have access to that airline's lounge, or the lounge the check-in agent tells them they can use.

Which is why this isn't an issue in most places.

But 10% of UA*G flying UA domestically without a UC membership is still likely more than this MLL can handle.

I get chastised all the time for using the E UC instead of Centurion, or the LAX MLL instead of the UC or TBIT, but I don't care to make the trek. Nor do I get to the airport seven hours before departure.

So I definitely get it. But the trek at SFO isn't nearly as long as other UA hubs, and this situation really only applies in UA hubs, because every other *A hub has lounges that any *G can enter.

So we'll see. And I trust that AC has more actual data than any of us do.

But it wasn't that long ago that I, an AC*G, was not permitted entry into the SFO SQ lounge because I was flying UA domestically. So there's precedent at SFO for this, well beyond denying "UA*G flying UA".
Adam Smith and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 1:54 am

According to Google Earth, the walk from the MLL to the F rotunda is about ~2,500 feet, or half a mile. It's another 800 feet to the end of the F concourse. That's not an obscene distance, but it's not nothing.

It would be one thing if the MLL were right in the heart of T3 next to a UA Club, but my point is that it might just be out of the way enough for most UA fliers that many of them may not bother.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:38 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
According to Google Earth, the walk from the MLL to the F rotunda is about ~2,500 feet, or half a mile. It's another 800 feet to the end of the F concourse. That's not an obscene distance, but it's not nothing.

It would be one thing if the MLL were right in the heart of T3 next to a UA Club, but my point is that it might just be out of the way enough for most UA fliers that many of them may not bother.
There are now other *G options in IAD but in my experience the LH lounge had always ends up with jusr a handful of savy UA *G willing to make the trek. I had other options but prefer the food and beverage of LH and dont mind a trek. Those in the know at SFO with a little extra credit time and no other options will probably make the trek. The main problem for AC at SFO is the fact that it looks nice and may actually be worth it and word of mouth (in person or through bloggers) will spread to even those with other options. Overheard in line at the Amex lounge you dont need to wait here there is a nice lounge with a terrace 10 minutes from here.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
A 4-minute walk from the F11-F20 gates?
Or a bit more, but not by much. The MLL is located immediately after TSA at T2, alongside the walkway towards T3. Closest point it could possibly be.

You do know that they opened a post-security walkway between T2 and T3 about a year and a half ago, yeah? It isn't on Google's maps yet.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by warrens; Jun 29, 2023 at 4:58 am
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Maybe UA *G access is not as much of an issue as we'd think. Yes, UA has a handful of gates in T2, and there's an airside connector to T3, but the bulk of UA domestic flights are in the F11-F20 gates. It's a bit of a walk from there to the MLL. How many people are really going to do that? Some, I'm sure, but perhaps not enough to crowd the lounge. Not all elites are as clued into the FFP rules as we are on here, and I'm sure there are plenty of UA *Gs who don't realize they might get MLL access or even care to exploit that benefit, if they even realize where the MLL is.

I'm flying UA domestically on Friday, and as much as I'd like to check out the new lounge, I'm guessing my SFO-ORD flight is going to be in the far F gates. I'm not sure if even I'm willing to budget time to make a lounge visit.
People make the much longer trek to the LH/TK lounges at IAD from C/D. You'd be surprised.

The ones that have access to that UA club will not bother (because really why?). It's the domestic ones that do not have access that may.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Here now. Its very nice. Not impressed that the staff can take their breaks in the lounge / on the terrace. The kitchen staff are out here every 30 minutes it seems. Not terribly professional imho - they should have a break room.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:40 am

I popped in for half an hour today at about 9am. I was able to access as a UA Plat on a domestic UA itinerary.

There were at most ten passengers in the whole lounge. The only way to access it is via an elevator tucked away between T2 and the edge of the connector. If you are going through security at T2, make an immediate left. If coming from T3, itll be to the right just before you enter T2.

The food spread wasnt too remarkable, though I think I was probably there not long before they were about to switch to lunch items. The bar has an actual barista espresso machine, but the bar was closed.

When you enter, theres a relatively narrow corridor with seating to the left. On the right are work stations, two TV rooms, and the bathrooms and showers. It then opens up to the bar and buffet area with a bigger seating section behind it overlooking the deck.

Overall, a very nice space, and very quiet. Hopefully it stays that way.

YVR72, m.y and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Probably a dumb question but to confirm, I will NOT be able to enter MLL as a *G traveling on Southwest right? Since its not a Star Alliance flight
Old Jun 30, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
No access, correct.

Originally Posted by bomberman92
Probably a dumb question but to confirm, I will NOT be able to enter MLL as a *G traveling on Southwest right? Since its not a Star Alliance flight
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bomberman92
Nope.
​​​​​​

I popped in for half an hour today at about 9am. I was able to access as a UA Plat on a domestic UA itinerary.

There were at most ten passengers in the whole lounge. The only way to access it is via an elevator tucked away between T2 and the edge of the connector. If you are going through security at T2, make an immediate left. If coming from T3, itll be to the right just before you enter T2.

The food spread wasnt too remarkable, though I think I was probably there not long before they were about to switch to lunch items. The bar has an actual barista espresso machine, but the bar was closed.

When you enter, theres a relatively narrow corridor with seating to the left. On the right are work stations, two TV rooms, and the bathrooms and showers. It then opens up to the bar and buffet area with a bigger seating section behind it overlooking the deck.

Overall, a very nice space, and very quiet. Hopefully it stays that way.

How long was your walk? What do you think of the food compared to UC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.