Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packed lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
I wonder if YYC rules during construction allowed SE and not MLC holders? could you imagine.
Here you go:

Due to the reduced space availability, it will not be possible to purchase lounge access as a travel option or to redeem a Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass to access the Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge for the duration of construction.

In addition, between 11:30 am and 6:30 pm, Lounge access will be restricted to the following customers:

Air Canada customers holding a Business Class ticket
Altitude Super Elite 100K members, accompanied by one guest
Altitude Elite 75K, Elite 50K, Elite 35K members*
Star Alliance Gold members*
Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members*
Outside of the restricted hours, the Lounge will operate normally and we welcome all eligible members and their guests to come relax as they wait for their flight.

* No guests will be permitted.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:07 pm

who thinks AC won't 'cull the herd's' with enhancements next year?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Let me guess: Because you fly J, but have no status?
Yes
I think they'll make paid J pay extra to get in the lounge. After all, if you can afford a J ticket what's another $50? Especially if you're an OPMer.

And not because the lounges are overcrowded (b/c IMO they're not) but as a new revenue source for price insensitive promiscuous travellers.

Last edited by kwflyer; Aug 25, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I think they'll make paid J pay extra to get in the lounge. After all, if you can afford a J ticket what's another $50? Especially if you're an OPMer.

And not because the lounges are overcrowded (b/c IMO they're not) but as a new revenue source for price insensitive travellers.
Would actually make sense to have a distinct J/SE lounge. Would actually make J/SE more valuable to people.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:29 pm

I find it slightly humorous that some people think AC wants to have less people in MLL's , that is not going to happen, would be stupid on their part.

They want as many people in there as possible, as long as they have paid for it.

Either through flying enough or cold hard cash. the question is now is E35K enough flying to have access a domestic lounge.( it was no longer enough to get into international lounges) They stay within *A rules if they eliminate Ac E35K since they are now silver on *A.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by Dorian
Would actually make sense to have a distinct J/SE lounge. Would actually make J/SE more valuable to people.
I agree. I have memories of the MLL in old YYZ T2 in the days when the lounge was pre-security. Only MLL members (by invitation only back then) and F passengers were admitted IIRC. There was a definite air of exclusivity to it and it was actually something to look forward to.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by CanRulez
With the global meltdown in the stock markets, firms will reign in their travel budgets if they haven't done so already. The issue of packed lounges will be a non-issue in a few quarters.

Ah, interesting that you mention this.

Dorian made this comment on March 7, 2015:

Originally Posted by Dorian
I believe that before AC finds the breaking point the global economy will deliver a breaking point.
in the thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-altitude.html
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by 24left
Ah, interesting that you mention this.

Dorian made this comment on March 7, 2015:

in the thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-altitude.html
If Dorian happens to be a stock broker, I'd like to hire him. Like right now.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by xLuther
I find it slightly humorous that some people think AC wants to have less people in MLL's , that is not going to happen, would be stupid on their part.

They want as many people in there as possible, as long as they have paid for it.

Either through flying enough or cold hard cash. the question is now is E35K enough flying to have access a domestic lounge.( it was no longer enough to get into international lounges) They stay within *A rules if they eliminate Ac E35K since they are now silver on *A.
I believe in time, E35K will get a limited amount of MLL visits per year. Vouchers will be give with your package.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I believe in time, E35K will get a limited amount of MLL visits per year. Vouchers will be give with your package.
If that happens, I bet the number will be marginally higher than what you get with WS Gold
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
If that happens, I bet the number will be marginally higher than what you get with WS Gold
Very good call. They will pull a WestJet on WestJet. IE The way WestJet says there fares are cheaper than AC, but the dollar savings on your ticket will not even buy you a cup of coffee. BS marketing that works on a lot of people.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Aug 25, 2015 at 4:39 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
On the topic of packed lounges, how is LAX's AC lounge in Terminal 2 these days?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
As evidenced by this thread, previous exercises at "culling the herd" have been largely unsuccessful (under the assumption that reduced elite ranks was a primary motive). If the herd was culled, there would be fewer people in the MLL and fewer people at zone 1&2 boarding. Instead just the opposite has happened.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Uh, if I flight is sold out, E75K and up can still got on, and someone else gets kicked off.

But that IS a good idea for lounges

And what do you consider "first come first serve"? I bought my ticket before you bought yours, so I should get in the lounge, regardless of what time we show up there?

What does "domestic only" have to do with any of this?

You were flying internationally. Canada is not part of the United States.

Anyway, I guess I'm glad I don't fly during heavy business travel times. The last time I was in a crowded MLL was YYZ transborder on a Tuesday morning. It's so much more peaceful when I fly.
On my phone. Re: Why does domestic have anything to do with this? Because it was suggested that domestic fliers don't get access to the lounges like UA...etc.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by WR Cage
As evidenced by this thread, previous exercises at "culling the herd" have been largely unsuccessful (under the assumption that reduced elite ranks was a primary motive). If the herd was culled, there would be fewer people in the MLL and fewer people at zone 1&2 boarding. Instead just the opposite has happened.
We were culled but are both in the MLL and in Zone 2, just as UA *G now.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.