Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packed lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
IMO time spent in the lounge is not an issue.

The issue is really how easy it has become to attain lounge access.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by OttawaMark
The problem with the 2.5 hour approach, a problem that could probably be easily handled however, is the case of an itinerary like mine. On an upcoming award flight I have a little over 4 hours between flights in YVR. I suppose the 2.5 hour rule could be waived for those with connections longer than 2.5 hours.....

(Bolding mine)

This is a point I made upthread and repeated by others.

As for the nonsense of administering something like a 2.5 hour limit, really, which lounge staff would you like in charge of this? Would it be the people at the desk? The people who bring out the food?

If volume is the problem in the MLLs, it needs to be dealt with BEFORE people enter, not once they are there - and to Dorian's point, how easy it is to have access.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by 24left
(Bolding mine)

This is a point I made upthread and repeated by others.

As for the nonsense of administering something like a 2.5 hour limit, really, which lounge staff would you like in charge of this? Would it be the people at the desk? The people who bring out the food?

If volume is the problem in the MLLs, it needs to be dealt with BEFORE people enter, not once they are there - and to Dorian's point, how easy it is to have access.
Seriously, the limited capacity of the lounge is no different from a flight. If the flight is sold out, it is sold out. Seats are sold on a first come first get basis.

Just because one is a SE should not be more entitled to enter than someone who is not.

If a flight is sold out and the SE could not book a seat on J or Tango, how upset should the SE be? If the lounge is filled up, it's filled up. If the flight is sold out, it's sold out. What's the difference?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Seriously, the limited capacity of the lounge is no different from a flight. If the flight is sold out, it is sold out. Seats are sold on a first come first get basis.

Just because one is a SE should not be more entitled to enter than someone who is not.

If a flight is sold out and the SE could not book a seat on J or Tango, how upset should the SE be? If the lounge is filled up, it's filled up. If the flight is sold out, it's sold out. What's the difference?
One of the main features of FFP's is go prioritize clients. You're saying SE's or 1K's or whomever should be treated like a once a decade traveller who has a lounge pass or the right credit card. We may as well shut down FT.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:34 am
Original Poster

I guess this is why United doesn't allow their own *G in to their lounges on domestic itineraries.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
I guess this is why United doesn't allow their own *G in to their lounges on domestic itineraries.
It's based on fare.

If one is flying F/J on UA but solely between two U.S. points, e.g. BOS-SFO via a connection at ORD, one is allowed lounge access at ORD and SFO but not BOS, regardless of status (i.e., connecting and arrival airports).

At BOS, one must have either a UC membership or a credit card that allows the cardholder access to the UC.

Exception: Those flying F/J on p.s. may also access the lounge at the departure airport in addition to the arrival airport.

Should AC go that route?

Last edited by Clipper801; Aug 25, 2015 at 8:51 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by 24left

AC needn't worry about that. The same FT legion that enforces zoned boarding and upgrade policies will be there with stop watches.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The lounge situation is always worse at Christmas and over the summer when families are traveling and lots of biz award tickets are "sold". Unlike paying biz travelers during normal periods who don't linger in the lounges that long, families tend to spend more time in the lounge and of course bring 2/3 additional people with them (i.e. kids). There's really no solution since lounge agents can restrict entry at heavily crowded times already...what other controls can you really suggest that is not already in place?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
There's really no solution since lounge agents can restrict entry at heavily crowded times already...what other controls can you really suggest that is not already in place?
That they actually DO restrict entry when busy.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Clipper801
It's based on fare.

If one is flying F/J on UA but solely between two U.S. points, e.g. BOS-SFO via a connection at ORD, one is allowed lounge access at ORD and SFO but not BOS, regardless of status (i.e., connecting and arrival airports).

At BOS, one must have either a UC membership or a credit card that allows the cardholder access to the UC.

Exception: Those flying F/J on p.s. may also access the lounge at the departure airport in addition to the arrival airport.

Should AC go that route?
Unless you're a UA Club member or hold the proper UA branded credit card, you would not receive lounge access on the purely domestic itinerary you've posted. Only premium fare access for purely domestic flights are those on PS designated flights between JFK(soon EWR) and either SFO or LAX. No others (even at originating airport if you are starting out someplace other than JFK/EWR or LAX/SFO). However, if there's an international segment (which includes Canada) then UC Club access would be available at all airports with such clubs, or STAR lounges. To access lounges with solely domestic itineraries as a STARGold, you'd have to that status in any program but MP.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Maybe a standing policy that when lounge capacity hits ~80% no passes can be used and E50/E35 cannot bring a guest.

I have no evidence but I assume credit cards are a big part of the problem.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Maybe a standing policy that when lounge capacity hits ~80% no passes can be used and E50/E35 cannot bring a guest.

I have no evidence but I assume credit cards are a big part of the problem.
I'm with you on the E35K suggestion.

However, because E50K is *G as you know, I don't think this can ever happen.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

However, because E50K is *G as you know, I don't think this can ever happen.
Why? United does it...and I'm only suggesting it happen during overcapacity times.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That they actually DO restrict entry when busy.
Which they do if there's no seating at all. That you and your friend could not find seats together does not mean the lounge was full. Lots of airline lounges are crowded but not necessarily full. True, the YUL Domestic MLL is inadequate considering this is a major hub and city through which an extra large number of elites are going to pass through. I am sure AC recognizes this and would like to expend the lounge, but given the physical structure of the terminal, there's no place to expand unless you build out the second level further which may not be cost-effective. Can't always build for the occasional peak loading.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Why? United does it...and I'm only suggesting it happen during overcapacity times.
You know what? You're right. Now that I think of it, how can UA block their own *G's from entering their own lounges? Perhaps there is a provision in the STAR guidelines that allow for an airline to block entry to their own *G as long as other airlines *G can enter. Now that I think of it, it's.....

But hey, given how i'll be E50K next year, I dislike the idea, LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.