Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packed lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:10 pm

SFO has great Amex lounge
LHR T2 PP is in A so kind a sucks since AC departs out of B,( 15-20 Min walk ) but MLL and Singapore lounge in B ( same level opposite each other) and very nice, good breakfast.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You were flying internationally. Canada is not part of the United States.
Please re-read my post carefully.

I was able to enter the United Club at ORD when flying YYZ-ORD-SFO.

I don't know if that was a mistake by the lounge receptionist, or it was because my inbound flight was arriving from an international city and therefore "entitled" me to use the lounge for my outbound connecting domestic flight (ORD-SFO).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Packed lounges will subside in 1-2 weeks when the traffic levels come off their all time peak. In both 2014 and 2013 Traffic dropped 17% between August and September. With August being vacation month many Elites are bringing their families into the lounge; which means more people spending more time in the airport. When travelling with the family I am at the airport at least 2 hours before departure, where as transborder business trips I am usually at the airport no earlier than 1 hour before departure.

With the Amex Platinum Card I am using their lounges rather than MLL in years past. The Amex lounges were all packed, save for the Plaza Premium lounge in YYC transborder.

That said, AC traffic is up 27% from 2012 to 2015; therefore we should really be focusing our efforts on getting larger lounge space in hub markets rather than sniping about who should be cut from the lounge privileges.

One quick win for AC would be to have a hold pen for carry on rollaboard bags. Make it like a coat check at the hubs and enforce that rollaboards must be surrendered. This would solve issue of rollaboards and other carryon articles taking up seating space.

A mid term win would be a mini renovation of the hub MLL to add in additional seating. At Denver Airport Concourse C there is a Rockbottom Brewery with an interesting solution. The bard stools have a cubby hole beneath the seat for your rollaboard. This puts the rollaboard out of the way. The cubby hole can also fit a backpack. Implementation of more bar stool seating such as at DEN would provide increased seating capacity.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)

What does "domestic only" have to do with any of this?
There was a comment up top to not allow AC E50 to use the MLL for domestic flights.

My point is there are lots of domestic only flyers like SAP who'd be livid at the suggestion.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Packed lounges will subside in 1-2 weeks when the traffic levels come off their all time peak. In both 2014 and 2013 Traffic dropped 17% between August and September. With August being vacation month many Elites are bringing their families into the lounge; which means more people spending more time in the airport. When travelling with the family I am at the airport at least 2 hours before departure, where as transborder business trips I am usually at the airport no earlier than 1 hour before departure.

With the Amex Platinum Card I am using their lounges rather than MLL in years past. The Amex lounges were all packed, save for the Plaza Premium lounge in YYC transborder.

That said, AC traffic is up 27% from 2012 to 2015; therefore we should really be focusing our efforts on getting larger lounge space in hub markets rather than sniping about who should be cut from the lounge privileges.

One quick win for AC would be to have a hold pen for carry on rollaboard bags. Make it like a coat check at the hubs and enforce that rollaboards must be surrendered. This would solve issue of rollaboards and other carryon articles taking up seating space.

A mid term win would be a mini renovation of the hub MLL to add in additional seating. At Denver Airport Concourse C there is a Rockbottom Brewery with an interesting solution. The bard stools have a cubby hole beneath the seat for your rollaboard. This puts the rollaboard out of the way. The cubby hole can also fit a backpack. Implementation of more bar stool seating such as at DEN would provide increased seating capacity.
Thats a great way for thieves/pickpockets to take valuable from a centralized efficient location. I don't see AC (or any airline for that matter) taking on that legal liability that you must be separated from your carry on. Theres a reason you see a lot of fliers not using the complimentary (exposed) luggage storage at many clubs.

Back to the topic at hand, I haven't really witnessed any overcrowding per se. Busy yes, but my definition if overcrowding is when ALL seats have been taken and its standing room only. I've yet to experience that and I've flown pretty much peak/off peak, morning/afternoon/night. Are the lounges busy, of course and for many reasons (which Shareholder eloquently pointed out) but I think AC likes it that way, high utilization just like they like high load factors on their planes.

And I don't think the answer to any of this, is another round of devaluation for Altitude members.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Again, please re-read my previous post carefully.

If the capacity is 50 seats in the MLL, those seats will be on a first come first get basis. If unfortunately the SE is the 51st to arrive at the lounge and is full, it's too bad. The same applies to all those who are eligible to use the lounge. Whoever arrives first, gets the remaining seat.
But that's not the same analogy as the flight.

If I show up at the gate at T-25 and the flight has already fully boarded (aside from me), they're not going to offload me because I was the last one there.

As a SE, as long as I meet the published guidelines, I'm going to be allowed on, and they'll bump someone else.

So if the lounge is going to work the same way, when I show up for my confirmed flight, they would have to go in and kick someone else out.

I don't know if that was a mistake by the lounge receptionist, or it was because my inbound flight was arriving from an international city and therefore "entitled" me to use the lounge for my outbound connecting domestic flight (ORD-SFO).
You're on an international itinerary which means you're eligible for entry everywhere.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP

If you are MP*G and any of the airports on your itinerary are in Canada, whether originating, or destination , your UA BP will be marked INTL and you will have access to any UA RCC on your journey ( ie not only on the international segment). Of course if you are AC E50 or higher you will have that access, even on a purely domestic itinerary based on your AC *G status.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by CanRulez
There was a comment up top to not allow AC E50 to use the MLL for domestic flights.

My point is there are lots of domestic only flyers like SAP who'd be livid at the suggestion.
Ah. Yeah, I mean if they want to go the way of UA, then it's just one more reason to consider switching to UA

It also doesn't really make sense when you have lounges in places like YWG, because all flights (where you can access the lounge) are domestic.

If they ever did something like this, I assume it would be based on how crowded it is. Because I've definitely been in an empty YYZ MLL on more than one occasion.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
At LHR T3, the PP also allows one access to the No. 1 Heathrow as well as the Swissport lounges. Not sure about T5.

At SFO, if one has a Amex Plat or Centurion, one may use the Amex lounge at T3.
I know that, though my comment was referring that I don't use T2 much (under 10% of flights), and in T3/T5 I use the CX/BA/AA lounges.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: ACSE, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
I have to agree with WR Cage - the focus shouldn't be on who to cut out, but rather to expand the facilities in major markets where overcrowding is an issue.

With increased capacity and passenger (+revenue) volumes every year, the issue is only going to get worse. Sure you could cut off E35K next year, but what about 2-3 years from now, then you'll need to go after E50K, then E75K, etc...

Several major airlines have multiple lounges available in each domestic/international terminal - so it's not like this is new territory.

It might also be a great opportunity to create that dedicated SE/confirmed J lounge to help alleviate congestion at the main MLL.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Zarg
I have to agree with WR Cage - the focus shouldn't be on who to cut out, but rather to expand the facilities in major markets where overcrowding is an issue.

With increased capacity and passenger (+revenue) volumes every year, the issue is only going to get worse. Sure you could cut off E35K next year, but what about 2-3 years from now, then you'll need to go after E50K, then E75K, etc...

Several major airlines have multiple lounges available in each domestic/international terminal - so it's not like this is new territory.

It might also be a great opportunity to create that dedicated SE/confirmed J lounge to help alleviate congestion at the main MLL.
I don't want to be mixed in with lowly J passengers I'm Super Elite!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:47 pm

solution is paid (not e-uped) J and family/1 Companion

AND

Maple Leaf Club card holders.

AND ...VIP.......that's it.

No SE or any FF admittance. That would bring the lounge experience to where it should be.

I wonder if YYC rules during construction allowed SE and not MLC holders? could you imagine.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by bizorbetter
solution is paid (not e-uped) J and family/1 Companion

AND

Maple Leaf Club card holders.

AND ...VIP.......that's it.

No SE or any FF admittance. That would bring the lounge experience to where it should be.

I wonder if YYC rules during construction allowed SE and not MLC holders? could you imagine.
You're almost suggesting the UA model. Why not go all the way and not allow domestic J?

Let me guess: Because you fly J, but have no status?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
With the global meltdown in the stock markets, firms will reign in their travel budgets if they haven't done so already. The issue of packed lounges will be a non-issue in a few quarters.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:05 pm

Let me guess: Because you fly J, but have no status?
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.