Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packed lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:28 am

I'm sticking with no passes or E35K will be 'enhanced' will have to buy lounge access ( at discount ) in 2016 It fits AC death by a 1,000 cuts approach to FF program.

Either way will increase AC revenue from MLL and reduce head count.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
But hey, given how i'll be E50K next year, I dislike the idea, LOL
Im sure there are quite a few FF'ers like SAP who fly domestic only. I dislike the idea too. Why encourage AC to "enhance" our benefits even further?

If you think the lounge is too busy, nothing is stopping you from eating at a restaurant outside the lounge.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
AC needn't worry about that. The same FT legion that enforces zoned boarding and upgrade policies will be there with stop watches.
LOLLLLLL

I will make a special effort to be there to take photos.

Originally Posted by Dorian
One of the main features of FFP's is go prioritize clients. You're saying SE's or 1K's or whomever should be treated like a once a decade traveller who has a lounge pass or the right credit card....

Yes, and the universe is full of other people who believe everyone is equal.

FF programs are just another class-based society in which many of us participate.
If someone doesn't like the class status or doesn't like the "society" they don't have to participate.

IMHO.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by 24left
Yes, and the universe is full of other people who believe everyone is equal.

FF programs are just another class-based society in which many of us participate.
If someone doesn't like the class status or doesn't like the "society" they don't have to participate.

IMHO.
Totally 100% agree. Just like the eUp credit rules, if you don't like the rules, don't play the game.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Totally 100% agree. Just like the eUp credit rules, if you don't like the rules, don't play the game.
Agreed.

I encourage people to get an AMEX Plat or the PP membership to allow yourself, where possible, access to true tranquility. (e.g. the PPL).

I do not enter a MLL unless there is not a PPL. 1) I hate the food in a MLL 2) I hate the density of the MLL and 3) I hate the worn out furniture of the MLL. And oh, one more, 4) I hate the lounge dragons at YYZ (the other ones in Canada are hit and miss)

I hate MLL's if that wasn't obvious So, I don't enter them. It's like UA clubs. I don't set foot anymore in them. I'd rather go look at a pretty lady at a bar. - rather than a UA bartender DRAGON.

Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Agreed.

I encourage people to get an AMEX Plat or the PP membership to allow yourself, where possible, access to true tranquility. (e.g. the PPL).

I do not enter a MLL unless there is not a PPL. 1) I hate the food in a MLL 2) I hate the density of the MLL and 3) I hate the worn out furniture of the MLL. And oh, one more, 4) I hate the lounge dragons at YYZ (the other ones in Canada are hit and miss)

I hate MLL's if that wasn't obvious So, I don't enter them. It's like UA clubs. I don't set foot anymore in them. I'd rather go look at a pretty lady at a bar. - rather than a UA bartender DRAGON.

In some places, there isn't really much of a choice when flying *A (i.e. SFO has no PP lounges, and I will not go to T5 from T1 to use the AF/Swissport lounge in ORD), and I would rather enter the UA lounge in LHR than the PP lounge (admittedly, I would rather enter the LH lounge over the UA lounge, and >90% of my flying out of LHR is from T3/T5.)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed.

PPL lounge has been much busier than not lately at YYZ domestic. Many pilots, co-pilots and FAs . Usually find a place to sit. Food offerings seem to have become more Spartan recently.
By contrast, the MLL offerings are more plentiful and varied . Perhaps my long absence from those lounges may be part of my perception.

SAP, self policing yourself out of MLL ?? One more seat for someone else
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:05 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
Place a time limit on how long an entrant is able to spend in the lounge.

As someone who never spends more than 20-30 mins tops in the MLL, I get the feeling there are a not insignificant number of people who for whatever reason (flight delayed, long connection, or just plain nothing better to do) seem to like to set up camp and LIVE in the lounge for hours at a time.

A simple way to enforce this would be to bar entry to anyone who is >2hrs prior to departure time.
Or several trap doors.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Unless you're a UA Club member or hold the proper UA branded credit card, you would not receive lounge access on the purely domestic itinerary you've posted. Only premium fare access for purely domestic flights are those on PS designated flights between JFK(soon EWR) and either SFO or LAX. No others (even at originating airport if you are starting out someplace other than JFK/EWR or LAX/SFO). However, if there's an international segment (which includes Canada) then UC Club access would be available at all airports with such clubs, or STAR lounges. To access lounges with solely domestic itineraries as a STARGold, you'd have to that status in any program but MP.
Hmmm. Interesting. I was on a P fare YYZ-ORD-SFO return. I was able to enter the United Club at ORD both ways. This was how it was explained to me unless the YYZ origination and return destination played a role. I used the Plaza Premium Lounge at YYZ and the Amex lounge at SFO. Didn't bother to try the MLL at YYZ and UC at SFO.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by acysb87
PPL lounge has been much busier than not lately at YYZ domestic. Many pilots, co-pilots and FAs . Usually find a place to sit. Food offerings seem to have become more Spartan recently.
By contrast, the MLL offerings are more plentiful and varied . Perhaps my long absence from those lounges may be part of my perception.

SAP, self policing yourself out of MLL ?? One more seat for someone else
They are much better behaved than many MLL folk
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
I read this thread, and found it to be very useless. I encourage you to compare the comment of each author with their respective AC status. It can be summarized as the following: each author simply cares about his/her own interests, and some are extremely oblivious. Let's not forget that those who are now S100K were E50K/E75K(or equivalent, known as AC*E prior to 2012). Why should E75K and E50K suffer when you had an easy access to lounges when you were an AC*E?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by acysb87
Food offerings seem to have become more Spartan recently.
Yes but they do have nice mini-cupcakes in the afternoon.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Seriously, the limited capacity of the lounge is no different from a flight. If the flight is sold out, it is sold out. Seats are sold on a first come first get basis.

Just because one is a SE should not be more entitled to enter than someone who is not.

If a flight is sold out and the SE could not book a seat on J or Tango, how upset should the SE be? If the lounge is filled up, it's filled up. If the flight is sold out, it's sold out. What's the difference?
Uh, if I flight is sold out, E75K and up can still got on, and someone else gets kicked off.

But that IS a good idea for lounges

And what do you consider "first come first serve"? I bought my ticket before you bought yours, so I should get in the lounge, regardless of what time we show up there?

Originally Posted by CanRulez
Im sure there are quite a few FF'ers like SAP who fly domestic only. I dislike the idea too. Why encourage AC to "enhance" our benefits even further?
What does "domestic only" have to do with any of this?

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Hmmm. Interesting. I was on a P fare YYZ-ORD-SFO return. I was able to enter the United Club at ORD both ways. This was how it was explained to me unless the YYZ origination and return destination played a role. I used the Plaza Premium Lounge at YYZ and the Amex lounge at SFO. Didn't bother to try the MLL at YYZ and UC at SFO.
You were flying internationally. Canada is not part of the United States.

Anyway, I guess I'm glad I don't fly during heavy business travel times. The last time I was in a crowded MLL was YYZ transborder on a Tuesday morning. It's so much more peaceful when I fly.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
In some places, there isn't really much of a choice when flying *A (i.e. SFO has no PP lounges, and I will not go to T5 from T1 to use the AF/Swissport lounge in ORD), and I would rather enter the UA lounge in LHR than the PP lounge (admittedly, I would rather enter the LH lounge over the UA lounge, and >90% of my flying out of LHR is from T3/T5.)
At LHR T3, the PP also allows one access to the No. 1 Heathrow as well as the Swissport lounges. Not sure about T5.

At SFO, if one has a Amex Plat or Centurion, one may use the Amex lounge at T3.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Uh, if I flight is sold out, E75K and up can still got on, and someone else gets kicked off.
Please read my previous post again carefully.

No, if the flight is sold out in J or Tango and a SE wants to book a seat in either J or Tango on that sold out flight, he/she will not be able to do so.

I am not talking about a SE and a non-status both holding confirmed reservation on an oversold flight.

And what do you consider "first come first serve"? I bought my ticket before you bought yours, so I should get in the lounge, regardless of what time we show up there?
Again, please re-read my previous post carefully.

If the capacity is 50 seats in the MLL, those seats will be on a first come first get basis. If unfortunately the SE is the 51st to arrive at the lounge and is full, it's too bad. The same applies to all those who are eligible to use the lounge. Whoever arrives first, gets the remaining seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.