Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packed lounges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
I see you've gone for the Combo Platter.
That's the toe-jam-and-baby-poop-flung-into-my-mouth combo platter.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I am assuming that by leaving *G out you no longer wish to use their lounges elsewhere.
Peever did say "FF" so it sounds like he was including *G as well.

But yeah, if AC were allowed to yank *G for MLL access then I'm sure reciprocity would occur quickly across *A... and that would suck.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I am assuming that by leaving *G out you no longer wish to use their lounges elsewhere.
No I just missed *G because I fly 90%+ AC. I would suggest they are there as well. Like nomad said. I meant it's for FF
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I feel suddenly more welcome now .
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Agreed. CC holders should NOT have lounge access and Zone 2 boarding.
Why not?

AC is selling them a product and they are paying for it both with large to very large annual fees and by giving AC a portion of every dollar they spend.

In some cases they may be bringing more profit than you.

Why should one class of customers be entitled and the others not, other than that people see it as a zero sum game so just want to exclude "the other guy." SEs never understood it when the benefits started getting slashed from the bottom up, cheering all the way until it got to their own benefits, then it was fits and rage like that wasn't a completely predictable move.

As long as CCs are easy profit centers AC will use the lounge to sell CCs. If fliers want it to stop then fliers need to be ready to pony up the lost profits and nobody wants to do that.

The old days are gone. AC is all about wringing its profit out of every atom of matter under its control, and that sucks for people who got the free ride until now. But that time passed already and people are still talking like it's going to come back. It's not. It's over. Get used to it.

Not that I like it, some other posters here seem to celebrate it. I'm just realistic about it. It's their stuff and they're going to wring every penny out of it and think out of the box for new ways to jam people in ever closer and use their assets more efficiently (which means less pleasantly for the customers) because they will get bonuses if they do this.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by nihonto
Why not?

AC is selling them a product and they are paying for it both with large to very large annual fees and by giving AC a portion of every dollar they spend.

Why should one class of customers be entitled and the others not, other than that people see it as a zero sum game so just want to exclude "the other guy." SEs never understood it when the benefits started getting slashed from the bottom up, cheering all the way until it got to their own benefits, then it was fits and rage like that wasn't a completely predictable move.

As long as CCs are easy profit centers AC will use the lounge to sell CCs. If fliers want it to stop then fliers need to be ready to pony up the lost profits and nobody wants to do that.

The old days are gone. AC is all about wringing its profit out of every atom of matter under its control, and that sucks for people who got the free ride until now. But that time passed already and people are still talking like it's going to come back. It's not. It's over. Get used to it.

Not that I like it, some other posters here seem to celebrate it. I'm just realistic about it. It's their stuff and they're going to wring every penny out of it and think out of the box for new ways to jam people in ever closer and use their assets more efficiently (which means less pleasantly for the customers) because they will get bonuses if they do this.
I have no problem with cc holders having lounge access. I just think they should have their own lounge and not the MLL.

Yes - they do make money on the cc, but the cc holders are also the ones who go through tons of booze / snacks and leave a mess.

It's funny but you can almost always spot the very frequent fliers by what they grab in the lounge. Usually it's 1 beverage ( maybe booze maybe not ) and a small something to eat. Then they sit there quite keeping to themselves and usually type on a phone or computer.

But I've see cc holders take 4-5 plates for breakfast and huge amounts of booze too
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I have no problem with cc holders having lounge access. I just think they should have their own lounge and not the MLL.
KrisGold vs SilverKris lounges ?

The difference between the two is quite something (at SIN)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999
KrisGold vs SilverKris lounges ?

The difference between the two is quite something (at SIN)
similar to SEN lounge vs FCL at FRA/MUC.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
It's funny but you can almost always spot the very frequent fliers by what they grab in the lounge. Usually it's 1 beverage ( maybe booze maybe not ) and a small something to eat. Then they sit there quite keeping to themselves and usually type on a phone or computer.

But I've see cc holders take 4-5 plates for breakfast and huge amounts of booze too
People going on holidays vs people working.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence

Yes - they do make money on the cc, but the cc holders are also the ones who go through tons of booze / snacks and leave a mess.

Where would AC get the space to build such an extra lounge(s). And that extra revenue would easily be gone from having to fund such a capital expansion?

What evidence do you have that it is cc holder that are causing the problem? Did you actually go up to someone who was acting like a slob and asked them how they got in here?

I've seen passed out SE's drooling on their best buy laptop bags (used as a pillow) while passed out in a chair. And flip flop OPMers going to town on la vin rouge.

Last edited by kwflyer; Aug 30, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by nihonto
Why not?

Really? The absolute highest of the Aeroplan CC annual fees is $700, which is the same as a worldwide MLL membership. How much of that fee do you think actually goes to Aimia? $100? Less? And then how much of that gets passed on to AC? $50?

I very much doubt that AC gets any percentage off of the CC merchant fees. There are no AC-branded CCs, only AE-branded.

AC has already established that they are willing to sell MLL access with the MLL annual passes they sell. The CCs are universally cheaper than that, so they have become the preferred method of buying lounge access.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kwflyer
What evidence do you have that it is cc holder that are causing the problem? Did you actually go up to someone who was acting like a slob and asked them how they got in here?

I've seen passed out SE's drooling on their best buy laptop bags (used as a pillow) while passed out in a chair.
Well where else am I supposed to pass out in a MLL?

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Really? The absolute highest of the Aeroplan CC annual fees is $700, which is the same as a worldwide MLL membership. How much of that fee do you think actually goes to Aimia? $100? Less? And then how much of that gets passed on to AC? $50?

I very much doubt that AC gets any percentage off of the CC merchant fees. There are no AC-branded CCs, only AE-branded.

AC has already established that they are willing to sell MLL access with the MLL annual passes they sell. The CCs are universally cheaper than that, so they have become the preferred method of buying lounge access.
Why would AC agree to it if they're only getting $50?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why would AC agree to it if they're only getting $50?
A person who buys an MLL membership is definitely going to use the MLL regularly, otherwise they wouldn't buy it. Not everyone who has a CC that entitles them to access is actually going to use it. You get $50 from the guy who drinks a gallon of beer and 2 kilos of pasta, but you also get $50 from all the people who don't even set foot in the MLL. $50 per card per year (in AC's estimation) may actually average out to something reasonable per visit.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well where else am I supposed to pass out in a MLL?
The new CIBC sleep pods are calling your name. Make sure to keep your wallet in your back pocket though
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
A person who buys an MLL membership is definitely going to use the MLL regularly, otherwise they wouldn't buy it. Not everyone who has a CC that entitles them to access is actually going to use it. You get $50 from the guy who drinks a gallon of beer and 2 kilos of pasta, but you also get $50 from all the people who don't even set foot in the MLL. $50 per card per year (in AC's estimation) may actually average out to something reasonable per visit.
Agreed this is all about the law of averages. However IIRC the Banks pay AC a set fixed fee for MLL membership for their customers. Much less than what they would pay a la carte, but better predictable cash flow for AC.

CIBC's MLL add on to the Aerogold used to be ridiculously low. Just goes to show how profitable the marginal revenue is to the marginal cost of operating the lounges is.

Last edited by kwflyer; Aug 30, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.