Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by capedreamer
AC825 AMS-YYZ O -> J LMU offered at EUR 585.

Frustratingly, my bank was trying to contact me to confirm the transaction on my credit card, but because I'm currently inflight with internet, I got the e-mail too late. By the time I sorted it out, the same LMU is now at EUR 1314, which is too steep for a daytime flight.
I would change banks or credit card company if treated like that.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 7, 2019 at 8:15 am Reason: edit quote
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by mapleg

I would change banks or credit card company if treated like that.
Ok the saga gets weirder.

After the failed LMU, I tried to check in and request an eUpgrade instead (since this was UA ticket stock and UA marketed flight numbers, I wasn’t able to request at the normal upgrade windows).

While checking in, I noticed the cabin class showing O, so I thought 11 credits would be enough. But at the end of the OLCI process, I was informed that the check-in failed.

So then I call in to do it all over by phone. Check-in worked, but was informed that the actual fare class was E so I would need to use 21 credits. At the same time, I was told the LMU is still available for *CAD* 1314. I am 100% sure the earlier offer during the OLCI process was made in EUR, I asked the agent to confirm multiple times. With multiple assurances, I decided to accept and pay for the offer.

After I get off the phone (and while waiting for the receipt to arrive), I decided to call my bank just to be sure. Surprise: the bank tells me the charge was made in EUR! I asked this agent to confirm, he did, and suggested I dispute the charge.

I need to travel tomorrow so did not want to do anything that might risk a denied boarding. So I call AC back (concierge line both times), and a new agent confirms once again the charge was made in CAD. When I ask her what would happen if I disputed the charge, the informs me that depends on what action the bank takes, I would lose my J upgrade and potentially also lose my seat in PY since they wouldn’t hold that seat open for me. I was very frustrated by this answer as it seems like I did nothing wrong here and was left with no good options.

Finally, the AC receipt arrives in my inbox showing the charge in CAD, giving me some comfort that even if it somehow got processed as EUR by the bank or credit card, I now had decent evidence for a charge dispute. With that and since the AC agent couldn’t do anything else for me (other than “leave a note with the AMS concierge”), I hung up and called the bank back. Turns out the earlier agent made a mistake and the charge was indeed in CAD.

What a bunch of unnecessary stress. /saga
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:27 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
What a cluster. Stress indeed.

Enjoy that hard-won seat and I hope it stays inflated.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Does AC offer LMUs on Basic Economy fares? Asking for a friend...
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Does AC offer LMUs on Basic Economy fares? Asking for a friend...
For the record, my colleague was not offered a chance to LMU his Basic flight YYC-YWG tomorrow when he checked in this morning. AC app said J was booked 2/14, EF had the flight P9 R9 and K9, with the app indicating both Y and J are "available".

So if they're not going to sell an LMU on that flight, I think it's highly likely they just don't sell LMUs at all on Basic.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:04 pm

YVR-YYC Air Miles ticket.
$164+tax J6
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
YHZ-YYZ - $114 from Flex M. J8 (Saturday morning flight) I never say no at that kind of price.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:37 pm

YVR-YYC Air Miles ticket.
$499+tax J2
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
What fare classes do LMU rebook into for Y -> PY and PY -> J?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Nothing that earns miles.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:29 am

YVR-YXY $154+tax from Aeroplan ticket.
J5
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tracon
YVR-YXY $154+tax from Aeroplan ticket.
J5
I'd do that. I find LMUs from X to be quite reasonable sometimes... IMHO.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'd do that. I find LMUs from X to be quite reasonable sometimes... IMHO.
I didn't.
E upgrade was $125 + 7 credits.
Row 12 had just as much leg room. I had an empty middle seat and enough sustance in the lounge to keep me going.

YXY-YVR
$154+tax from AE and Air Miles

YVR-YYC
$154+tax Air Miles.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Air Canada E50K, FB Gold
Discussion point here. On a recent trip to West Africa I had no choice but to fly AF albeit being a Star Alliance FF.

For this particular trip I was booked in PY (S) and was offered an LMU of CAD$430 on the way out and CAD$400 on the way back. Both times the product was the inferior 2-3-2 angle lie flat configuration on their 777-300 but the price was fair.

Can someone let me know if this is aligned to AC LMU upgrade pricing from PY (low) to J? I've been scanning the forum but without success.

An eupgrade on the same route would be CAD$500 + 21 eupgrade points per the chart.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Wife is flying YVR --> YYZ tomorrow for work, all I have is her reservation code so unknown what fare class she was bought into
AC 108, Boeing 787
Premium Economy upgrade - $380
Signature Class upgrade - $1050
...both declined

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.